shape
carat
color
clarity

what would be the best clear, most diamond-like stone?

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Forget Topaz, think about Sapphire and Zircon. Best regards, Lee

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To answer the above, yes I do want something clear/whiteish. Something that I can wear with anything, like you do diamonds.

Spaherite looks amazing but I'm a clutz and can't be trusted with anything under a MOH of 7.

:)

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mira moissanite is your best bet if you want a whiteish stone, durability, sparkle etc. BUT it's not a natural stone, it is man made. I would go for Zircon if you want natural.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear what you are saying. I've lived it!
I love wearing natural gemstones, and for a period of time could not afford the diamond earrings I wanted.
At the time, I could find blue zircon but not clear zircon earrings so didn't go in that direction. I have a white sapphire and knew that wasn't the look I wanted (clear glassy but none of that amazing dispersion). I also got a pair of white topaz earrings (white but with a bluish tinge) which I wore alot but it was more like wearing crystal than diamond earrings.
I purchased sarovski (sp) crystal earrings, and those were fun. I also considered moissanite but felt for that price might as well save the money for the diamonds. Also in some lighting I think the dispersion is almost clown-like.

In the end I went full circle and ended up getting a pair of high quality cz earrings. They are a realistic size and set in 14K gold so they felt good when I was wearing them. And when I saved up enough money, got a very similar sized pair in diamonds.

I do have some demantoids and they are gorgeous, but you can't get around they are green (I like green so that is fine with me!).

At the time if I wasn't so fixated on a diamond lookalike, I think I would have gone with a pair of morganite earrings because I saw some that were quite beautiful (they have a soft pink color), and personally find colored zircons (blue, or honey) more attractive than the colorless variety.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another thing to think about is, what other earring that you like and can go with everything, and doesn't necessarily need to be a gemstone?
For me before I got my (first cz, then diamond) studs I wore a 14k yellow gold ball stud earrings, and also pair of round drop pearl earrings. If I wasn't specifically picking out earrings to match what I was wearing, those two were my go-to earrings. For my mother it was a pair of gold hoop earrings. Just wanted to expand your options in case you are like me and nothing quite filled the bill.

CaraMish

Shiny_Rock
chel180|1319210284|3044788 said:
Who would be the best person to set into bezels? I like my settings to be ruler straight rather than artsy.

If you want perfect bezels, I recommend Scott Schreiber/Two Claws Jewelry: http://www.flickr.com/photos/two_claws_jewelry/4930322208/in/photostream

Or, Pal Gooz/pmgart: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmgart/4613716429/in/photostream (thats my ring, btw)

Here's another of Scott's work; lots of bezels here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/two_claws_jewelry/4397886506/

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the help guys. I'll contact those sellers for a quote. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results