shape
carat
color
clarity

What will come of these protests that have evolved into riots?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing will come of it. The looting is the story now not the murder. If the protests continue throughout the summer, they will enhance Trump’s re-election chances. If he doesn’t overplay his hand with the governors, that is. I say this as someone who lived through the Nixon/McGovern era. The anti war protests were extremely violent and prolonged, yet Nixon won. The silent majority is real, and it is not a fan of the destruction of private property.

Thank you for your insight.

S

SallyB

@SallyB, I almost wrote that I'm not suicidal in my post but decided against it.

No, I'm not suicidal, but the current state of everything is overwhelming and very depressing and that's what I was trying to express. Maybe there are others out there that are going through the motions of life right now out of obligation.

OK, good. I understand.

I’ve battled major depression in the past. One thing I’ve learned is that I can’t watch the news for too long, or even watch depressing movies or listen to depressing music. My mood will sink like a rock.

Whether I am closely following media reports or not, the riots and COVID will both someday end, that’s a guarantee.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think eventually a bigger news story will come along and we will move onto that. We went from the global pandemic, to stay home orders, to fighting over health vs economy, to a murder hornet for a hot second, to fighting over the righteousness of mask wearing or not, now to murder, protests, riots.

I predict next will be the 2nd wave of Covid thanks to all the massive gatherings (seems so ironic now how not so long ago we were worried about that WITHOUT thousands of people coming out in groups all over the country), then we will all be going back to quarantine. Then we will fight over how quickly we need to come out of it to save the economy, wear the mask or hell no, and so on and so forth.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I do not think this way, lets make that very clear.

One thing the looting is doing is giving racists validation they are looking at it and going see I told you so.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One thing that puzzles me is everyone seems to be implying that the African American protesters will be blamed for looting.

Why should they be?

When I'm imagining the looting reported (I'm avoiding watching videos) I just imagine faceless looters who could be any race.

If everyone is automatically blaming African Americans maybe they do need to burn everything to the ground and start over.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it's sad everyone will blame a spike in Covid cases from these protests instead of the armed previous protests, the thousands (millions?) of people crowding beaches/restaurants/etc.. But yeah, a protest over a murder of POC will get the blame.

Honestly? I don't think anything will happen. Another black person was shot by cops this morning. Funny enough the cops patrolling the protests had their body cams turned off. Does that sound like an accident? Will they blame the crowd and say they were violent? Probably. Will David McAtee ever get proper justice? Doubtful. (louisville ky)

This won't be the last murder by cops on POC. This won't be the last protest. This won't be the last time we all post "oh woe, they are suffering, wish something would change". Until justice starts getting served, cops start getting actual jail time for their crimes, this won't be the last time for any of that.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I'm imagining the looting reported (I'm avoiding watching videos) I just imagine faceless looters who could be any race.

If everyone is automatically blaming African Americans maybe they do need to burn everything to the ground and start over.
If you watch the live news on TV most of the looting are being committed by AAs. There are many peaceful AA protesters across the country but sadly, looting is the headline new on TV not the murder of G. Floyd.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[
If you watch the live news on TV most of the looting are being committed by AAs. There are many peaceful AA protesters across the country but sadly, looting is the headline new on TV not the murder of G. Floyd.

Yes—Most that are being reported by the tv news—are of black people. I wonder. What compelled them to jeopardize their freedom for a pair of shoes? How desperate do they feel? And Latino’s too—are out there in tv news. But social media has captured whites and police officers perpetrating crimes within these riots except these are not being made as public

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The same people who want people to protest peacefully are the same people who wanted Kapernick fired for taking a knee. Peaceful isn’t working. People are done crying, and now they’re screaming.
Are you happy now??

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are incorrect.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes something will come of these protests.
I hope.

Better police recruiting and training.
The conviction of the officers involved. Should be murder one for the main guy but OK whatever gets him jail time is better than nothing.

And finally, a continuing battle for racial equality and justice. Because it is a never ending battle as we can see by looking at history. A battle that we must never stop fighting. We can never become complacent.

Unfortunately, in our lifetime I see it as continuing because it needs to continue since we are far from reaching our goals of racial equality. Structural racism has been a public health crisis for much longer than this pandemic has been in existence and is far more insidious and dangerous in the long run.

IMO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nooneisbornracist.png

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since we can comment honestly and without retaliation, hopefully....

You are right there will be an increase in Covid19 of course. I feel the military will be brought in if it does not settle down soon, and rightfully so. You cannot let the thugs destroy our communities and murder, beat, and run over our law enforcement who are trying to quell the madness. The rioters/looters are putting innocent citizens/businesses at harm.

If you protest peacefully fine, but if not, it's on and you brought it on yourself.

My daughter lives in Wilmington NC and she suffers depression, she is scared and rightfully so. We watch the live feeds on Facebook of the rioters there and it's not pretty. It is all colors and nationalities so no one group is singled out.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you protest peacefully fine, but if not, it's on and you brought it on yourself.

In an ideal world this might be the case.

In the real world many, many peaceful protestors are protesting lawfully before curfew, but are treated badly. Look at the way Trump attacked peaceful protestors in Lafayette Park so that he could do his photo op with his prop Bible ( never opened or read from) at St John's Church yesterday.

Then other people come out at night to steal. The Governor of Illinois said he had spoken to the FBI in his state and these looters were not political, but ordiary criminals. At one point he even used the words "organized crime".

Trump is using criminals as an excuse to suppress dissent and tyrannize the American people with the military. Protesting peacefully will not protect you and it should.. Everyone has a right to free speech and to assembly; no one should be able to abridge that as it is guaranteed in The Constitution.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K wrote:

"One thing the looting is doing is giving racists validation they are looking at it and going see I told you so."

The Revered Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr would have agreed with you..Ross Douthat closes a recent column with a quotation from him. “Every time a riot develops, it helps George Wallace [the segregationist and 1968 presidential candidate].

AGBF

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing will change. I remember THIS very very well. I was in 9th grade. THIS WOKE me in 1967, I have never been on the side of any one/group who says things like "They create their own problems" "I'm not a racist, they ARE!" because I saw this in 67.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Which is the 'cause' and which is the 'effect'.??. the cause in my book has been covert,, overt, open and continual racism.

Is a black guy a bad guy? or is he a good guy but the white guy sees him as a bad guy?

most times people REACT Deb.. one has to really, really hold their emotions, thoughts etc to stay in ACT mode.. We needs cops who are not jaded, racist, brutes (and I am sure most aren't) who act with thought, without malice. I know, Dream on.

Karl_K wrote:

"One thing the looting is doing is giving racists validation they are looking at it and going see I told you so."

The Revered Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr would have agreed with you..Ross Douthat closes a recent column with a quotation from him. “Every time a riot develops, it helps George Wallace [the segregationist and 1968 presidential candidate].

AGBF

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I feel anything will change? No, not really. There's so many people of non color looting that WE will be blamed for. Per usual.

Oh and yea, corona 2nd wave will come a hell of a lot sooner.

there are certain parts of facebook and twitter that are actively finding and getting people removed from powder because they're racist *******s.

non blacks don't realize that this didn't just happen 2 weeks ago, this has been ongoing. Hell its been my entire life. Some of us are tired.

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It shows the lack of leadership in this country that there hasn’t been a national address announcing a sea change in the way police are trained and offering initiatives to police departments that include counseling and training. Every school district knows to get community members and parents on board when committees when considering changes and plans. Why in the world can’t there be community advisory boards that meet weekly with the police in the precincts of every big city in this country?

alittlelight

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am noticing a general reluctance on Instagram from companies to be “business as usual.” Today apparently is black out Tuesday, in which regular posts are suspended for a black screen. But I am very cynical also about these big corporations coming out with “support”.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of black out Tuesday, I came across this article on CNN this morning after I noticed so many IG accounts blacked out this morning.

In summary, the intentions of posting a black box with Black Lives Matter and related hashtags may be good but it is actually harming getting information out:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I feel anything will change? No, not really. There's so many people of non color looting that WE will be blamed for. Per usual.

That was why I posted above in response to @autumngems that protesting peacefully does not mean that one (or a mass of people) will be treated as if he (they) have behaved lawfully.. As I said to her, I only wish it were that simple! Wouldn't it be nice if the good were always rewarded in life? But as we know, no good deed goes unpunished.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nothing will change. I remember THIS very very well. I was in 9th grade. THIS WOKE me in 1967, I have never been on the side of any one/group who says things like "They create their own problems" "I'm not a racist, they ARE!" because I saw this in 67.

Greg feels the same way.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
most times people REACT Deb.. one has to really, really hold their emotions, thoughts etc to stay in ACT mode..

Remember, much of the looting (not thrown bottles) is not being done by protestors, but by criminals with no political intent.

I understand that some of the acting out at night is by oppressed people. I know that that is in reaction to what they have undergone. I truly understand the rage underlying that acting out. But the people who care about the future of the black and brown communities must, nevertheless, call upon them to cease looting and rioting. Because it will lead to a backlash and it will ruin their own neighborhoods.

The "rioting" done by angry young people simply has to stop no matter why it started. Listen to a voice that should have credibility (Killer Mike).

Q

Queenie60

Can we not use the word "thug" :roll:

I can respect your wishes, after reading the article I certainly understand where you're coming from. I'll refer to them as "violent looters" as most of these awful people are not people of color, they are white and taking the opportunity to steal and destroy what does not belong to them.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I do not think this way, lets make that very clear.

One thing the looting is doing is giving racists validation they are looking at it and going see I told you so.

This is quite sadly true. Rioting and looting are not acceptable. Neither is the murder of a person by law enforcement. The two crimes should not be linked.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump will do anything to distract from his mismanagement of Covid-19. If that means making this bad situation worse, he’s gonna do it. If he addressed the nation and made promises toward equality, that might stop the drama and shift the focus back on his incompetence. The dude knows how to manipulate the news cycle. He’s been doing it since he was a nominee.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results