shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of gem will be this color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone ever seen a green amethyst in real life? I stumbled across this example and never knew they could be green like this. Maybe too lite for what i am looking for- but unique.

green am 2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve read that the term "green amethyst" is romantizied way of calling a green beryl. An amethyst is always purple.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
''Green Amethyst'' or more properly, Prasiolite is just green quartz. Calling it green amethyst is just a marketing tool as amethyst is certainly a more recognizable name than prasiolite.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/26/2007 2:26:43 PM
Author: Kismet
''Green Amethyst'' or more properly, Prasiolite is just green quartz. Calling it green amethyst is just a marketing tool as amethyst is certainly a more recognizable name than prasiolite.
Thanks Kismet. I couldn''t find the right words - I had a nagging feeling it was not a beryl.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
That sure is good marketing to up the price! Green quartz on the ajsgems website is very inexpensive compared to other stones- and it seems to be more yellow than green on the ajsgems pics.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Green quartz is also treated to get that way (irradiated) and not very saturated in color. It might look darker than it really is on the ajstones site.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
I think for color Richard really nailed it with those Gaspeite earrings- that light lime green, almost avacado, seems PERFECT. Now I need to get that color in a large transparent stone that will sparkle!

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t know you wanted opaque, if you want opaque, there are more options. Turquoise comes in many shades from lime green to coppery blue. So does some jade.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
It seems to be easier to find the exact color in opaque stones, but I want something that will sparkle in the sunlight like his eyes. I KNOW the perfect stone is out there! It is just so hard judging transparent stones exact color from pictures. I want the stone to look light lime green, then a bit yellow, then flashes of neon avacado, etc. as it moves in the light. The ones AJS recommended the most were the ones that had some weird brown coloring (option 3-5 in previous post) and chrono said not best cut. My cat''s eyes DO have a bit of brown in them, but I am not sure if that will look so good in a stone and his eyes have NO dark olive or dark green.

Multicolor sent some examples, but on my screen they looked way too yellow to me. The option 1 tourmaline is only $128 so if I can''t come up with anything better- i can order that and see how it looks in real life.

Plus- That pear shaped moz. tourmaline that chrono posted is still available. It seems too green, but Chrono said in real life it glows so that might be an option as well. Still trying to find a larger sized stone...

I really appreciate all the help and can''t wait to post a pic of my cat''s eyes and the perfect stone together!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results