shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of gem will be this color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ok- all of you who are NOT animal folks out there might call me crazy, but...

I want to find a stone that is the same color as my cat's eyes. They are the coolest shade of light green. What type of stone should I look for? I want a stone that will be good enough quality to use in some piece of jewelry. Maybe a larger stone for a fun fashion ring- something like a cushion, round or oval cut with lots of green/ yellowish sparkle!

Any help finding something online?? Ideas?

Can I email this picture to one of the online gem venders to see if they might have suggestions, or are they going to think I am nuts???

Cat eyes.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if you are looking for a fun fashion ring then I would go with peridot or green quartz. They are pretty inexpensive so you could go quite large if you want. Here''s some examples of a nice "cat''s eye" green color.

Peridot:

periodot.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green Quartz:

greenquartz.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Chrysoberyl too. (very pretty cat, btw)

CHV-00034-l.jpg

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Chrysoberyl or tourmaline are other options. Peridot may be the best choice as stated above.

IMG_2810_1_1.JPG

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Ahh, catmom, you must be a cat fan too! Is that black shadow mean not such a great cut on that first stone? Are those online at AJSgems? Since I am not looking for some rare green diamond or something- any difference over green quartz vs. peridot? I like those prices- very reasonable. Have you purchased from this vender- they seem to have lots of options. If I get a couple from that site- can I order several, pick my favorite and send the others back, right?

Cat eyes 21.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Tourmaline is also my birthstone so this might work too. This online site has so many options- I thought it might be difficult to find a stone the same color! Love this one!

tourm..jpg

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I don''t think there''s a gemstone quite as beautiful as your cat''s eyes (don''t felines have the most gorgeous eyes?!!), but if I had to pick one, and if you wanted something totally natural, it would have to be a lime green crysoberyl. I heard there''s vanadium colored chrysoberyl that''s more lime green, you don''t want chrysoberyl with a brown cast to it.

This stone is about 1 carat and $200

http://www.ajsgems.com/CHV/CHV-00047.htm

There''s also copper bearing lime green tourmalines, but they''re kind of rare, but they glow like your cat''s eyes. Here''s one I found once, but it sold
8.gif

limetourmaline.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. That stone that you did not buy (bummer) is cool. When i had the flash on my cat''s eyes they did glow like that.

There are so many choices at this AJS place, but it makes me nervous that so far away, but seems like many people on PS have used them. Could I contact them and ask them what they thought would be the best color, cut etc. within my price range?

Tourm2.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
How will green tourmaline look different than chrysoberyl?

chy.jpg

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
Plain green tourmaline will not look as nice as your cat''s eyes, but if it is copper bearing, and the copper gives it a glow, then it would be awesome. The thing is that it is extremely difficult to find a nice lime green one. They''re very rare. The chrysoberyl will be pretty, but it''s not one of those stones that pop out at you. But if you get a well cut one, it might scintillate enough to have a pop, especially if you surround it with diamonds. The nice thing about chrysoberyl is that it''s the third hardest gemstone (8.5 on Mohs) so it''s durable. There are also some Russian demantoid garnets that are lime green and very pretty, but also very hard to find and very expensive, and again, you have to be careful it doesn''t have an olive cast. I would avoid demantoids from other places, too olive in certain light. In fact, most of the lime colored stones can have a secondary olive cast, and I don''t think you want that. Some peridot is nice too, but again you it might be a bit too olive in color.

Are you looking more for a lime color or a mint color? Your cat''s eyes look more lime.

twodoor2

Shiny_Rock
I did a search on yellowish green tourmalines, and I found this one. It''s pretty in the picture, and isn''t very expensive.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-1838473660

I just don''t know how good it will look in person. His pictures tend to be more reliable than ajsgems. This stone probably doesn''t have copper in it, so it won''t glow, but it''s pretty, and a bit more saturated than most chrysoberyls. You can email them about it.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
yes- now I see how the regular green tourmaline might not be bright enough. My cat's eyes are more lime than mint. In the sun they are very bright green on the inside and then on the edges they are more yellow with flecks of brown. My cat will not hold still and won't look into the camera so it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a good shot.

Cat eyes 017.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think other stones to look at in addition to all the great suggestions would be peridot, demantoid garnet and light tsavaorite garnet.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you''ll consider opaque stones, gaspeite (image) would probably come closest to the exact color you have in mind. Certain shades of variscite would also be very close. The next post will show a faceted transparent tourmaline that''s definitely in that color range.

Richard M.

Gaspeite.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
As the transparent gem with the greatest color range, tourmaline like this one appears in the same hues as your cat''s eyes.

Richard M.

Tourm 23.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a glowy green stone, might I suggest this:

1.08ct Mozambique paraiba in a pear shape for under $400
I'd give you the link to the vendor if you are interested.

MozTourm.JPG

I was also thinking maybe a cat's eye chrysoberyl.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the ideas! Please vote for stones linked below (i hope links work- I am computer dumb dumb and could not figure out how to print them all in one posting) I emailed two venders last night to ask about their selections and it seems like the most common response back recemmended chrysoberl. The cat''s eye versions looked too yellow to me. All of these suggestions are same price range and I want the largest good stone I can get- so can you guys help me pick what looks the best quality for a ring? Originally I was thinking to copy one of those large stone rings that David Yurman does- but now I think a few little diamonds might help make it pop. I am only starting to grasp color zoning, window, etc. and the picures all look good to me. The first option is a tourmaline and the others are chrysoberl. Now that I see Chronos suggestion for paraiba or Richards tourmailine- I am still open to other stones. Like when you go wine tasting- they are all starting to look the same to me!

These are the narrowed down options thus far as recommended by these venders when I told them I am looking for good cut stone for ring. Thanks.

Option 1- Tourmaline http://www.multicolour.com/detail/index.html?-1380365782
Option 2- http://ajsgems.com/CHY/CHY-00044.htm
Option 3 - http://ajsgems.com/CHY/CHY-00051.htm
option 4 - http://ajsgems.com/CHY/CHY-00067.htm
option 5 http://ajsgems.com/CHY/CHY-00062.htm

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Option 2 followed by Option 1. 3 and 5 look a bit brown to me. The pear shape of 4 doesn''t really do it for me although the color is nice.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Options 1 & 2 are nice stones: good colour and cut.
The rest have bad cuts and unpleasant undertones.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono- is the paraiba you posted seem like a better color and quality stone than option 1 or 2? If so- can you let me know the vender? It looks a bit darker green than my cat''s (his name is Basil and now PS famous!), but the pear shape is starting to grow on me. Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone has a medium light saturation and is VERY well cut. It''s the neon glow that gets to me everytime. When I first received it, I could see the glow through the layer of bubble wrap. The only reason I returned it was because I wanted a blue stone.

Unfortunately, I don''t see it posted on his website anymore. Give Brad a call - he seems to be always by the telephone.
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Gems%20TZ%20Page%202.htm

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks- i emailed him the picture of his stone and a picture of Basil's eyes. Will wait to see what he finds. If anyone alse has recommended venders I should contact- let me know! So far best options are #1 from multicolor.com or option 2 from AJSgems.

Perry raved about his Pala tour and huge inventory. Should i contact them or do i need to go through another online vender to get access?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
A friend just sent me this picture of these set peridot! wow! Seem not quite as yellow as i am looking for, but very impressive!

krypell.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are free to browse the Pala website but need a jeweller to access the stones and prices. Gary at www.diamondexpert.com has helped me numerous times in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results