shape
carat
color
clarity

What type of band should I buy for myself?

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
Hi jewelry lovers. I need some suggestions for my wedding band because I do not know what to pick. For my fiancé, I got her a VC cushion halo ring and getting likely the matching eternity band for it.

For myself, I like nice and fancy things. The only thing that I will wear that I consider accessories are watches and I like fine watches. I never thought much about wedding bands till yesterday when I started to look for them.

I decided that I like a 5 mm band and want something that is not yellow and more with a matte finish like matte platinum or something of that nature. I decided that I didn't want yellow gold plated with white b/c I would have to refinish it every once in a while. I tried on a ring that was made of palladium and liked it more than platinum b/c it was lighter.

I called Victor Canera and asked him if he could make me a ring of palladium and he said that it is also plated and so I would have to refinish it also one day (which I don't want to do). So he suggested a platinum ring.

My best friend has a titanium ring and it looks a little darker than I want. Tthe price is a huge difference (in the range 10x less the cost of custom platinum ring).

What do you all suggest that I get or consider?

The cost of the VC band for myself isn't a budget issue, but I am wondering if I "need" it or it is "worth it to me." My priorities are in terms of importance are: longevity and minimal wear/tear/hassles, cost, and weight (I prefer lighter weights, but I will not wear this during work and only on weekends so it's less important). Width of band is easily controlled and color can be picked based on type of material. It does feel kind of lopsided and weird that she would have like 20k+ of jewelry and I have a $200 band...Thanks for thoughts!!!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have you looked into palladium white gold? It has a nice greyish tinge, ranging from a very light grey to a medium tone, depending on the exact formula and how it is worked. Since you seem to like a grey tone based on your titanium comment, it could be an option. Some people plate it for the extra white look but I think that is a shame.

You can also get a palladium ring that is not rhodium plated. It is quite white (not as much as silver or rhodium) and looks very nice as well.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should go for platinum. It gets scratched and worn in, but no plating. The worn in look is cool to me. It shows you're a basic, quality guy and aren't fussy. You don't need anything H that stays shiny anyway. You're too busy with life to be concerned about stuff like that. ;-)

This is my DH's. He's had it for 19 years. Platinum and beat to hell. He loves it and wears it daily.

_4848.jpeg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can also do mokume! My favourite :love:

In what you're looking for, I say go with plat though.

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
i learned a new word yesterday: mokume!

i will go try on more rings to decide what i want. i like the notion of having something custom made. i also like the notion of 200 bucks, but then it feels "wrong" to just spend 200.

i think im leaning towards custom VC ring.

maxandsam

Rough_Rock
ok i decided that i will get custom platinum VC ring for myself and a cheapo titanium one to use if i need to. thanks everyone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results