shape
carat
color
clarity

What to spend?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gt6974a

Rough_Rock
So what''s the general guidelines for spending on a engagement ring?

I''ve heard two months salary, is that before or after taxes? funny but serious at the same time.

I''m sure there are different guidelines, I just want to hear what others think.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Whatever you and your future intended consider is a good amount there are no hard and fast rules as to what to spend, just spend within your means.

Do you know what shape, size stone she likes? That will affect your budget as well :)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The two month salary saying was a suggested guideline only - spend what you can afford and are comfortable with.
2.gif
You can use the Pricescope your Diamond search tool above, punch in various sizes and specs and shapes, then you can get a good feel for prices to start you off.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would say however much you can spend comfortably (without breaking the bank), plus an amount that both of you can agree upon. If hubby really spent his 2 months'' salary in the past, I wouldn''t have a ring then. If he spent that today, I''d have a boulder rock. But we did neither - we just spend an amount that we both felt was reasonable and could easily afford.

echelon6

Shiny_Rock
5000 - 30000

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spend what you can afford. As for the diamond, you can save money buying it online through a PS vendor, same with the setting. If you can''t afford much right now, that''s fine, most of us started out that way too. Some of us "upgraded" a few or many years down the line when we could afford to, that''s an option that you might look into too. How may we be of assistance?
2.gif

MrNyceGuy

Rough_Rock
Personally, I''m going to stretch as far as I possibly can when purchasing my fiance-to-be''s engagement ring in the coming weeks. She agreed that she would never want to "upgrade" or "replace" the rock I propose to her with. That sentimental value is "priceless" so to speak. For that reason I want to get something that will reflect my success later in life while keeping in mind that I can not go broke just to do it. I know I''d regret getting something just "within my means" such as two month''s salary now. Two month''s salary now will be about two weeks salary in 5 to 8 years. That in mind, I just had to find a point that was more than most would recommend, but will keep my SO and I happy for all the years to come. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results