shape
carat
color
clarity

What to look for in a tennis bracelet?

BeckiOz

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Newbie here! Heading to NYC for my 40th in March and H has hinted he'd be willing to let me choose a special piece of jewellery for a birthday gift.

Last time we visited NYC we browsed in Tiffany's and most of the bracelets weren't my style, but I got my first proper look at a tennis bracelet, and its been a bit of a dream since then!

I tried on the one they had on display, and I think once I was admiring it on my wrist, they mentioned it was something like £21k! I styled it out and pretended that was within our budget at the time, but I don't go anywhere fancy enough or out often enough to justify that sort of spend!! Open to spending around £5k though (could be persuaded to go higher for the right piece!)

I like timeless / classic, and we're in the UK and don't mix in particularly flashy social circles, so 'understated' for many might still be wow here!

So my current special night out jewellery would be as pictured below:
- Left hand ring finger - Plain yellow gold wedding band, diamond 4-claw solitaire 'Leo diamond' engagement ring (maybe 1ct?) - and De Beers yellow gold infinity ring 0.36c diamonds.
- Right hand ring finger - Sapphire with a diamond either side
- Necklace - 1 x sapphire and diamond pendant - yellow and white gold, sapphire 2cts, diamonds 0.83cts.
- Earrings - Sapphire and diamond. Sapphire 2.35cts, diamonds 0.6cts.

We are contemplating getting something made using a UK jeweller, or scoping out some places in NYC before we go and then trying on and making the purchase while on holiday. Either way, I think I'm going to need to be really specific about what I want!!

So, things I'm already set on - definitely want white gold 4 prong, as I like the more square look to the rounder 3-prong.
- is there something else I need to consider about the setting?
- I will go and try on asap, but any tips on best length/fit?
- How many carats would you look for so it isn't too skinny, but equally doesn't look OTT compared to the below....
- What colour / clarity should I be looking for for the stones?
- What else should I be looking/asking for?

0DCD4D50-EC39-4AA6-AEE2-F58322EF3038_1_105_c.jpeg

Congratulations!

If you’re going to be in NYC I’m sure others will have other great recommendations for you but someone I see mentioned on here a lot (though never personally used since I don’t live in the US) is IDJewelry.

Judging by their website, £5k, which is around $6750, will get you a 5-6ctw bracelet, which I think is a very nice size (around 10-14pts per stone I think). In terms of colour and clarity, if you’re not very colour sensitive HI or even IJ would be fine. If you want something that you’re sure will be very nice and bright white FG is good. I am personally fine with clarity SI in that size, as long as the stones aren’t cloudy and sparkle well. As far as length goes, 7in is considered standard but that is too long for me (my wrist is 6in). It depends on how loose you like your bracelets. I like mine to be a bit snug (not tight) and not slipping down to my hand. I don’t have a TB, but I feel like 0.5in of leeway is good enough.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
You have a lovely and classic collection.

Tips — decide on a loose vs. snug fit. A snug fit will let you get more carats for the money but might need to be custom.

A loose fit will let you slide the bracelet up and down your arm if you type or do other activities and you don’t want the bracelet right at the base of your hand. Vendors will have them in stock.

VS2 is good in general even if you buy off the rack. SI1 might work from a trusted vendor in a custom bracelet but do not buy a generic mass marketed bracelet at “SI1-SI2” because those diamonds are probably not really eye clean or sparkly.

5-6 ctw would look nice for a night out. FWIW I wear my 3 ctw every day even with casual clothes and it styles fine. As tennis bracelets become more affordable with the growing popularity of LGD, higher carat weights might become more common in less formal settings.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$10K USD will get you a very nice bracelet. Contact ID Jewelry before so you can stop by. Tell them what you want and maybe they have something you can see.

Check out this thread.

At the end, I would get the whitest and biggest stone you can within your budget. If you go to ID Jewelry, I would ask for Pricescope quality stones so you get the nicest cut stones.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another from UK here.

ID Jewellery, White Flash and James Allen are reputable vendors that I would recommend, for importing from US.

If you are open to the idea of lab/MMD stones, then check out the offerings at JA.

Not sure if IDJ and WF offer lab/MMD stones though.

Please remember you would have to pay import duty and charges, and I normally add about 22% to the price of a piece to allow for these charges when calculating my budget.

Also please bear in mind that should you decide to return the piece for whatever reasons, you cannot recoup the import duty and charges from the vendor.

I would advise trying out as many bracelets in different sizes, settings and lengths to find the one you like the most, before forking out the money to get one.

Hatton Garden in London is a good place to try as they now have many small stall holders gathered together in what used to be bigger premises occupied by a single company, similar to the ones I had come across in LA's Diamond District.

IMHO, whatever you import from abroad, even after adding the import duty and charges, you will still get a better bracelet for your money than what you can get in UK.

Mine was made by the bench I normally use in China, 5cttw, H/I and SI MRB stones, bezel set in 14K WG, 7.5in, the stones are about 3mm each, and I definitely cannot buy a similar bracelet in UK for what I had paid for it!

I would advise a bracelet with 2.5mm stones for a more understated look.

DK :))

BeckiOz

Rough_Rock
Another from UK here.

ID Jewellery, White Flash and James Allen are reputable vendors that I would recommend, for importing from US.

If you are open to the idea of lab/MMD stones, then check out the offerings at JA.

Not sure if IDJ and WF offer lab/MMD stones though.

Please remember you would have to pay import duty and charges, and I normally add about 22% to the price of a piece to allow for these charges when calculating my budget.

Also please bear in mind that should you decide to return the piece for whatever reasons, you cannot recoup the import duty and charges from the vendor.

I would advise trying out as many bracelets in different sizes, settings and lengths to find the one you like the most, before forking out the money to get one.

Hatton Garden in London is a good place to try as they now have many small stall holders gathered together in what used to be bigger premises occupied by a single company, similar to the ones I had come across in LA's Diamond District.

IMHO, whatever you import from abroad, even after adding the import duty and charges, you will still get a better bracelet for your money than what you can get in UK.

Mine was made by the bench I normally use in China, 5cttw, H/I and SI MRB stones, bezel set in 14K WG, 7.5in, the stones are about 3mm each, and I definitely cannot buy a similar bracelet in UK for what I had paid for it!

I would advise a bracelet with 2.5mm stones for a more understated look.

DK :))

Thankyou. That's really helpful.

I'd like to try on in person when we buy it, so if we get it from the US, it will be in NYC when we go in March rather than online, otherwise I think we'll try and find a reputable local jeweller.

BeckiOz

Rough_Rock
$10K USD will get you a very nice bracelet. Contact ID Jewelry before so you can stop by. Tell them what you want and maybe they have something you can see.

Check out this thread.

At the end, I would get the whitest and biggest stone you can within your budget. If you go to ID Jewelry, I would ask for Pricescope quality stones so you get the nicest cut stones.

Thanks fir the thread tip. I had a trawl through the forum before posting, but didn't spot that one!
I like the idea of going to ID Jewellery on our trip to buy. Think I'll try and find a local jeweller with a couple so I can get more certain on size / cts and then I can give them the heads up before we go.

BeckiOz

Rough_Rock
You have a lovely and classic collection.

Tips — decide on a loose vs. snug fit. A snug fit will let you get more carats for the money but might need to be custom.

A loose fit will let you slide the bracelet up and down your arm if you type or do other activities and you don’t want the bracelet right at the base of your hand. Vendors will have them in stock.

VS2 is good in general even if you buy off the rack. SI1 might work from a trusted vendor in a custom bracelet but do not buy a generic mass marketed bracelet at “SI1-SI2” because those diamonds are probably not really eye clean or sparkly.

5-6 ctw would look nice for a night out. FWIW I wear my 3 ctw every day even with casual clothes and it styles fine. As tennis bracelets become more affordable with the growing popularity of LGD, higher carat weights might become more common in less formal settings.

Thankyou. I often end my day at the local stables with my horse-mad daughter!!, so its unlikely I'll get into day-to-day use, but I do like the idea of something that I feel able to wear more often, rather than something that feels like it can only come out for a black-tie do.

Thanks for the tips on fit and quality. We commissioned the sapphire/diamons earrings and pendant, so I did try to get myself up to speed then, but it was 10 years ago with 2 small children occupying my brain space!

BeckiOz

Rough_Rock
Congratulations!

If you’re going to be in NYC I’m sure others will have other great recommendations for you but someone I see mentioned on here a lot (though never personally used since I don’t live in the US) is IDJewelry.

Judging by their website, £5k, which is around $6750, will get you a 5-6ctw bracelet, which I think is a very nice size (around 10-14pts per stone I think). In terms of colour and clarity, if you’re not very colour sensitive HI or even IJ would be fine. If you want something that you’re sure will be very nice and bright white FG is good. I am personally fine with clarity SI in that size, as long as the stones aren’t cloudy and sparkle well. As far as length goes, 7in is considered standard but that is too long for me (my wrist is 6in). It depends on how loose you like your bracelets. I like mine to be a bit snug (not tight) and not slipping down to my hand. I don’t have a TB, but I feel like 0.5in of leeway is good enough.

Its great that there's such a strong endorsement for IDJewellery. Bit daunting to know where to start otherwise!

0.5 in would take me to standard 7inch, so that might be convenient! Going to try and find some to try on...

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased my tennis bracelet from ID Jewelry while visiting NYC (I'm in Australia), it's 3ctw in their 3 prong setting, and is beyond stunning. I find it the perfect size for every day. Plus, the buying experience was wonderful!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another +1 for ID Jewellery. I bought from them me couldn’t be happier! Once you have narrowed down what you like (carat weight and length wise) call them, let them know your preferences and set up an appointment. They are often busy so it maybe less pressure to have a dedicated staff member to help you and show you what you are looking for.

prettypaper01

Shiny_Rock
Material Good has a beautiful showroom in NYC - I have been eyeing their tennis bracelets myself :)

BeckiOz

Rough_Rock
I purchased my tennis bracelet from ID Jewelry while visiting NYC (I'm in Australia), it's 3ctw in their 3 prong setting, and is beyond stunning. I find it the perfect size for every day. Plus, the buying experience was wonderful!

I think it would be quite exciting to buy it in NYC. IDJ gets such resounding reviews, I'm definitely going to get in touch if we go for that option.

I know I'll get get better diamonds for our money if we wait, but I suspect my husband will prefer that we choose something locally, that he can give me on my 40th (a couple of weeks earlier), else he'll feel bad that he doesn't have something special for me to open on the day...

BeckiOz

Rough_Rock
Another +1 for ID Jewellery. I bought from them me couldn’t be happier! Once you have narrowed down what you like (carat weight and length wise) call them, let them know your preferences and set up an appointment. They are often busy so it maybe less pressure to have a dedicated staff member to help you and show you what you are looking for.

I will feel like a princess to waltz in and ask for 'my' member of staff to show me 'my' bracelets to choose from :lol:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The logical thing to look for in a tennis bracelet is ... a wrist. :P2

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@BeckiOz what did you end up getting? Dying to know

She posted about her purchase in a new thread.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results