shape
carat
color
clarity

What to Expect When You're Expecting (working with DK)

bibliotheque_

Rough_Rock
I can’t thank you all enough for encouraging me to inquire again about the hidden halo. DK sent me a photo of a CAD where the outline of the hidden halo showed like on my second CAD and the finished product related to that CAD, and though hidden halo wasn’t immediately visible from a top view, I could definitely see enough of an outline of the diamonds protruding such that it would bother me if it were my ring. DK has lowered the hidden halo bar so it is completely hidden from a top view. Here is the latest CAD. C079CB8A-629A-4193-B6AD-B193FF96D7A8.png
I think the last comment I have for him is for him to raise the entire head a slight bit. I think it looks a tad squat right now but I think we’re really close! Thanks again everyone for your help!!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t thank you all enough for encouraging me to inquire again about the hidden halo. DK sent me a photo of a CAD where the outline of the hidden halo showed like on my second CAD and the finished product related to that CAD, and though hidden halo wasn’t immediately visible from a top view, I could definitely see enough of an outline of the diamonds protruding such that it would bother me if it were my ring. DK has lowered the hidden halo bar so it is completely hidden from a top view. Here is the latest CAD. C079CB8A-629A-4193-B6AD-B193FF96D7A8.png
I think the last comment I have for him is for him to raise the entire head a slight bit. I think it looks a tad squat right now but I think we’re really close! Thanks again everyone for your help!!!

Is DK's CAD intended to reflect the final product, or does it reflect the mould that will be made to cast from? Different vendors present CADs differently.

The difference:
A) If the CAD is intended to reflect the final product, the actual mould will be a little thicker in all dimensions (because polishing will rub a bit of metal away, thinning all components out a tad).
B) If the CAD reflects the mould that will be used to cast from, then the CAD is a touch bulkier in all dimensions than the final product will be (again, because polishing will remove a little metal).

If (B) then it will look a touch more airy and a touch less squat when complete, just by virtue of the shank and prongs being a little thinner and there being a little more negative space between pavilion and prongs than you see in the CAD.

I should say that the CAD is never 100% dead on in terms of dimensions - I would not advise nitpicking 6.46mm vs. 6.50mm, for example. That is the difference of a few tenths of a second extra on the wheel, or a chisel angled every so slightly further upward.

bibliotheque_

Rough_Rock
Thank you @yssie! My understanding is that it should be (B). DK did say that the ring overall would look less bulky than shown in the CAD due to polishing, etc. DK sent me one more CAD which I just signed off on. Hopefully I’ll be back soon with photos!!!

bibliotheque_

Rough_Rock
If you've worked with DK before and either dropped off or mailed your stone to him, does he provide any paperwork confirming receipt, etc. or have you sign anything? I know he's well reviewed and trusted but just want to make sure I'm also covered since it's a big ticket item (for us) that we're handing over to him.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you've worked with DK before and either dropped off or mailed your stone to him, does he provide any paperwork confirming receipt, etc. or have you sign anything? I know he's well reviewed and trusted but just want to make sure I'm also covered since it's a big ticket item (for us) that we're handing over to him.

I always send my items to him USPS insured, signature required so I have evidence of it being received. He always emails me that day to assure me it has arrived. Hope that helps.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you ask, they will send you a receipt saying they have possession of your stone.

Amy and David moved back into their office last Monday. We stopped by on Wednesday and saw that a lot of store fronts on Hill Street were still boarded up because the glass was smashed by looters on the night of the riot. I guess the owners are all waiting till they are sure there will be no more riots before they fix them.

Amy told us the day after the riot they went back to their office and emptied their safes, taking everything to the bank. She said they were insured, but they knew a lot of their customers' stones were not replaceable. Apparently emptying the safe was quite an experience for them. Amy carried all the jewelry and gems out in ordinary shopping bags so as not to attract attention, and David stood guard to make sure they weren't being followed. :eek-2:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
If you ask, they will send you a receipt saying they have possession of your stone.

Amy and David moved back into their office last Monday. We stopped by on Wednesday and saw that a lot of store fronts on Hill Street were still boarded up because the glass was smashed by looters on the night of the riot. I guess the owners are all waiting till they are sure there will be no more riots before they fix them.

Amy told us the day after the riot they went back to their office and emptied their safes, taking everything to the bank. She said they were insured, but they knew a lot of their customers' stones were not replaceable. Apparently emptying the safe was quite an experience for them. Amy carried all the jewelry and gems out in ordinary shopping bags so as not to attract attention, and David stood guard to make sure they weren't being followed. :eek-2:

That's sad & terrifying.

bibliotheque_

Rough_Rock
Helloooo! My ring is done, my ring is done! :kiss2:

Amy shared glamour shots and a video with me yesterday. Unfortunately I feel like there’s something a bit off and I can’t put my finger on it, but Amy suggested I see it in person before making any further changes. My future fiancé (!!!) should be picking it up today. I think I would like to ask them to shave down the prongs because the head looks a bit chubby / stalky, but Amy and some friends convinced me to just see it in person before making any rash decisions since we can remove but not add metal.

14A2D145-7E5E-4D6B-89FF-8A258C927B5B.jpeg
92259D07-C9DD-4DA6-8FC3-E98A8CF983CA.jpeg 0F518334-BC5E-4D6E-B1A7-96F58F0FCE3C.jpeg
894CB5CC-E72C-48A3-BD57-62E8A89F62AE.jpeg

If anyone has been following along with me from the beginning and is curious about DK’s general process, I’ll post a timeline later today so that you can know “what to expect.” :mrgreen2: Overall this project took a hair over a month to complete from first contact to finished ring!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like it! I don't think the prongs are too big, but obviously totally up to your preferences! I agree with seeing it in person before deciding whether to shave them down

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautiful! Things look really blown out of proportion in the glamour shots...I think its a good idea for you to see it in person
first too.

Let us know what you think...Its super pretty!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I've just had the pleasure of reading this thread - thoroughly enjoyable read with lots of interesting and insightful discussions.

I agree with seeing the ring before deciding. It's so hard to tell with pictures, everything's blown up, the lighting is very artificial and blows things out. All-in-all it makes perspective very hard to grasp.

Really looking forward to what you think of it in person! Also give yourself more than a minute to process it once you see it. I had a custom ring, and I learnt rapidly that you need your heartbeat to return vaguely to normal before you can be objective!!! :lol: That might take a day or two.... (Some might argue never, if the ring is perfect...).

Gemly

Shiny_Rock
Helloooo! My ring is done, my ring is done! :kiss2:

Amy shared glamour shots and a video with me yesterday. Unfortunately I feel like there’s something a bit off and I can’t put my finger on it, but Amy suggested I see it in person before making any further changes. My future fiancé (!!!) should be picking it up today. I think I would like to ask them to shave down the prongs because the head looks a bit chubby / stalky, but Amy and some friends convinced me to just see it in person before making any rash decisions since we can remove but not add metal.

14A2D145-7E5E-4D6B-89FF-8A258C927B5B.jpeg
92259D07-C9DD-4DA6-8FC3-E98A8CF983CA.jpeg 0F518334-BC5E-4D6E-B1A7-96F58F0FCE3C.jpeg
894CB5CC-E72C-48A3-BD57-62E8A89F62AE.jpeg

If anyone has been following along with me from the beginning and is curious about DK’s general process, I’ll post a timeline later today so that you can know “what to expect.” :mrgreen2: Overall this project took a hair over a month to complete from first contact to finished ring!

Wow this is beautiful!!!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
what have you decided about the prongs?

it looks awesome!
sometime what we see on screen would be differnt to what we see in person. If it still bothers you, then get them to sknny them up a bit.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results