shape
carat
color
clarity

What to expect creating a custom setting

JB4_CO_BUCK

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum and just wanted to get some advice on price/quality when designing and paying for a custom setting.

I have done a ton of research and know what diamond to go with, but I have no data or personal experiences to go on when it comes to the setting.

The reason I want a custom design is because I found a setting she loves (pave halo with half bezel set diamonds on the shoulder) but want to change it so the shoulder is slightly different and to make it so the matching band will be a simple circle and will rest flush against the ring instead of having to bend around the head.

I went to the shop, John atencio, and asked about customizing and was treated horribly. I have a friend of a friend whose family owns and operates a really nice store in PA that could help me though. The original setting runs about 3k at atencio, but I will be using smaller diamonds and most likely a smaller slightly smaller halo. I would post a picture of the original, but atencio doesn't have it on there website.

How much of a premium am I going see in something like this?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Are you considering CAD or hand forged? I found a couple of threads that may be helpful for you..

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-a-full-custom-ring-process.86722/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-a-full-custom-ring-process.86722/[/URL]

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/custom-jewelry-work-cad-and-cast-psa.175834/#post-3202426#p3202426[/URL]

How much a custom design will cost will vary from vendor to vendor. I would strongly suggest using a vendor that can show you examples similar to the specific design you are considering. Since you are considering a halo with delicate pave work, I would consider working with someone know for their pave work....not all benches excel in pave, it's a design notorious for losing stones if done incorrectly. Some of the pave masters that we recommend are Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, Robinson Design Goldsmith, Leon Mege. Without seeing your particular design, it's very difficult to say how much you could expect to pay, but I'd guess anywhere 3-5k for the setting.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It depends largely on what vendor and what method of fabrication you go with. Who are you considering for the work? And how do you want it fabricated?

JB4_CO_BUCK

Rough_Rock
Thanks for both of the responses. I will read thru the threads and post a picture of the setting when I get the chance.

The vendor is a shop out of PA who has an extremely talented JA Certified Master Bench Jeweler on staff who has done work for Tiffany and Cartier....as well as some well known celebs.

Lane03

Rough_Rock
Not sure how much this will help, but my local jeweler who just finished the design of my custom setting charges $350 for the cad/design work. This was a flat rate, but I'm not sure if it would be more if the piece is very intricate. He kept me updated by emailing me the cads and then I would go into the store to show what I wanted changed or adjusted till we got it just right.

JB4_CO_BUCK

Rough_Rock
Lane03|1347885292|3269550 said:
Not sure how much this will help, but my local jeweler who just finished the design of my custom setting charges $350 for the cad/design work. This was a flat rate, but I'm not sure if it would be more if the piece is very intricate. He kept me updated by emailing me the cads and then I would go into the store to show what I wanted changed or adjusted till we got it just right.

Thanks Lane....appreciate the feedback.

I will be attaching a pic of the setting soon, its pretty darn nice lookin, but there just a few changes I want to make so its exactly what she would want.

JB4_CO_BUCK

Rough_Rock
This is the ring I want to alter. She loves the shoulder and shank (the half bezel set diamonds) but wants a very simple band that doesn't have to bend around the head and gallery of the setting. I think if the diamonds aren't graduated on the sides, I think the gallery/head could be changed to accomplish what she wants. I'm not sure though obviously.

dazzle.jpg

This is an example of a ring that I might combine it with.

affectionpave.jpg

I think a designer could help me find a good combo that Im looking for.

Lane03

Rough_Rock
Shouldn't be a problem. Just send them both pictures and describe what you are looking for. You could even modify it in photoshop if you have that to give them an even better idea of what you're after.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The best person to ask about process if your own vendor. Please read the links Christina posted for you as well.

JB4_CO_BUCK

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1347902494|3269687 said:
The best person to ask about process if your own vendor. Please read the links Christina posted for you as well.

Thanks Gypsy...Im currently talking to Bob from Whiteflash about the possible diamond to go in this bad boy.

JB4_CO_BUCK

Rough_Rock
JB4_CO_BUCK|1347896052|3269627 said:
Lane03|1347885292|3269550 said:

Thanks Lane....appreciate the feedback.

I will be attaching a pic of the setting soon, its pretty darn nice lookin, but there just a few changes I want to make so its exactly what she would want.

I forgot to tell you how awesome you did on your design.....very classic looking

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results