shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on custom ring and comfort level w/ pave side-stones

Lane03

Rough_Rock
Here is the latest rendering of a custom engagement ring I am getting made for my girlfriend. After a few tweaks it is exactly what I had pictured. I am about to bite the bullet and give the go ahead for production, but I started wondering if having 8 side stones going half way down on either side would be uncomfortable for her other fingers? I would love to hear peoples thoughts on the ring design and if you think I should eliminate some of the side stones so they don't go as far down. The pictures I have don't show the whole profile, but the side stones go half way down the ring, from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock.

lane_revised_1.jpg

lane_revised_2.jpg

lane_revised_3.jpg

lane_revised_4.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Opinion on custom ring and comfort level w/ pave side-st

No, it will be fine in terms of comfort. It looks very pretty!

Lane03

Rough_Rock

Thanks for the reply. This has been a long time in the making, and I am finally near the end but got concerned about it being uncomfortable. She has never worn a ring with side stones that go that far down and the last thing I want is for it to be uncomfortable when it rubs against her middle and little finger. I wasn't sure how much different it would feel having diamonds there versus smooth metal.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very pretty! I like the exaggerated concave curves a lot :sun:

If you're very concerned about comfort perhaps channel-set rounds down the sides is something to consider - it's a different look but you'll avoid issues with the little prongs rubbing. Does she wear any rings currently? Can you take her to a store that sells (well-made) eternities and have her try some on?

OneFifty

Shiny_Rock

My pave doesn't bother me. In fact I never even noticed it until your post, then I fiddled with it a bit. However, mine is pretty tiny. What size are you using?

Lane03

Rough_Rock

Yssie|1347566693|3267702 said:
Very pretty! I like the exaggerated concave curves a lot :sun:

If you're very concerned about comfort perhaps channel-set rounds down the sides is something to consider - it's a different look but you'll avoid issues with the little prongs rubbing. Does she wear any rings currently? Can you take her to a store that sells (well-made) eternities and have her try some on?

Thanks, it took a few different tries to get the curves I wanted and I am very pleased with the result. I guess channel would be an option, but I do prefer the look of pave (I'm sure she would like either). She currently doesn't wear any rings except a simple band with her birthstone on top, so not much help there. Can't take her somewhere as she has no idea and I don't want her to figure out what I am planning.

OneFifty|1347569395|3267731 said:
My pave doesn't bother me. In fact I never even noticed it until your post, then I fiddled with it a bit. However, mine is pretty tiny. What size are you using?

Thanks. Did you mean size of ring? It's 2mm wide and 5-1/4 ring size.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous. Leave it as is. It will be fine!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think the pave will be fine. It doesn't seem to be raised at all and the prongs are low in the channel. I would find that a very comfortable setting to wear. As for the head - GENIUS! I love the scallop and the 6 prongs and how they are 'swooped' out to surround the diamond. She will be able to wear a flush fit wedding band with this design.

Great job :appl:

Lane03

Rough_Rock

Gypsy|1347575573|3267773 said:
Gorgeous. Leave it as is. It will be fine!

Thanks, that means a lot coming from you as you seem to be one of the go to experts on here. :)

Enerchi|1347576121|3267778 said:
I think the pave will be fine. It doesn't seem to be raised at all and the prongs are low in the channel. I would find that a very comfortable setting to wear. As for the head - GENIUS! I love the scallop and the 6 prongs and how they are 'swooped' out to surround the diamond. She will be able to wear a flush fit wedding band with this design.

Great job :appl:

Yeah, it isn't raised much. I just tend to over analyze things and worry. After so much time and money I would hate for her to find it uncomfortable. I am sure she will love the look, at least she better after spending so much time getting the design exactly right - lol. The head was the most challenging part, it's similar to one I saw on a Vatche ring, but less claw like and I changed the curves a bit. And as you noticed, fitting a wedding band flush wont be a problem.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results