carat
color
clarity

What to do with the bail - help please?

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

I hope this is ok to post here.

I’m finally having a necklace made to match some earrings I have. I purchased the sapphire (approx 2 carats) and the diamond (0.5) some time ago so I’m pretty excited to now get it set.

I’ve been working with a local jeweller (I’m in the UK and pretty limited with who I use, needs to be someone local atm) who has come up with these CAD designs which I have tweaked but I’m still not happy with the bail. Currently it’s a little ring at the back of the diamond mount (see photo), although I like the look of the floating pendant, I’m worried that it will dig into my chest and also not sit right. The jeweller said this won’t be a problem but I can see that I’ll probably be unhappy with it. I’ve never had anything set this way and that is probably for a reason.

So as far as I can see the other options would be two rings, one either side of the diamond which would give it the floating effect, but having had a necklace like this before the twisting drove me mad and this would be even more noticeable as it’s a coloured stone. So now I’m thinking of a small traditional bail (see photo attached). Would this be the best option? Is there something I’m missing?

Also, I did go to see some mounts for halo melee size and liked small melee, they match my earrings better, seemed to sparkle more and make the necklace look more dainty which is what I want to achieve but now I’m questioning that too. Is the proportion of the diamond and sapphire wrong? Should the melee be bigger (I don’t know the size of these but can check). I have attached a bad picture of my earring for reference. Any thoughts on the rest of the design? I want to get this right and although it’s a simple design I feel there isn’t much input from the jeweller. I want to get it right!

14180EF6-64F0-4C6F-AE8F-933B718DDCEC.jpeg 2DB9EB1A-2904-4D7B-A208-E2E12C2DFF0D.jpeg 3B478D73-177A-467A-8F3B-4AFF52ECF6C2.png
4B6110F7-E112-454A-811F-3D4996B4C001.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, and I am no expert, having a traditional bail will affect the aesthetic of the piece.

Perhaps the basket could be made differently, still have prongs, however, instead of open sides, have solid sides with a couple of holes to enable a chain to be threaded through.

There should be plenty of such examples on the web if you Google solitaire pendant sliders.

I found this on the web.

Screenshot_20200221-085258_Chrome.jpg

DK :))

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What DK has said above. Also, what concerns me about the way the jeweller is proposing this bail, is that whilst the sapphire will lie flat, the diamond will tilt from side to side & that would really bother me!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What DK has said above. Also, what concerns me about the way the jeweller is proposing this bail, is that whilst the sapphire will lie flat, the diamond will tilt from side to side & that would really bother me!

Yup, that would be my concern too, unless the loop is sufficiently wide to minimise the risk of rolling from side to side.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another example of a slider:

Slider#1.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My blue sapphire pendant is similar and I do have fixed rings on the sides. I like it but it does shift a bit.

cmsbluesapphiirependant.jpg

My pink sapphire is also similar and it has a traditional bail. While the pendant doesn't shift the chain does and I'm always moving the clasp back.

cmspinksap06.jpg

There are cons to both and what bugs you more I guess.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you ask the jeweler why they put that half ring on the back of the diamond bail? It seems odd.

I would do away with that half ring and do what dk suggest a couple post back (slider pendant).

HopeSpringsEternal

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments everyone - sorry, I kept meaning to come back over the weekend.

I agree that the half ring at the back of the diamond is odd. The person who has did the CAD said that other than a traditional bail there isn’t another way to do it. I think it would drive me mad! Of course there could be fixed rings either side on the chain also. I’m not sure how much of this kind of work they do to be honest but the jeweller has been communicative and wants me to be happy so I think if I can come up with the ideas hopefully it’ll work. He said they will do a wax up and could make it in silver first if I wanted.

DK168 - thanks for those examples. I did some google searching but didn’t quite find such good examples. I’ll go back to him with these as think that’s the best option.

Catmom - your pieces are beautiful. I think you’re right - it comes down to what will bug me less unless I can get them to do a slider that accommodates the chain. Either way, anything will be better than that half ring at the back!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results