shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with pinky red spinel?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a lovely spinel from Yavorskyy a couple of months ago and am now being very indecisive about how to set it. I’d like a RHR and want something robust, so not lots of tiny diamonds in the setting, and not a 3 stone (have 2 of those already). It’s only about 6x5.5 mm, do you think that’s enough to stand alone? I’m not really a “big ring” person anyhow.

Here‘s the stone,

37DF2C9B-6DC3-4498-B661-1C8096F4343A.jpeg
and here’s an inspiration setting I like, not sure how you’d describe it, I’m thinking of using the centre bit only (for reference the stone in the photo is 7.3mm ish). I think the setting has a white gold head and a yellow gold shank.

73B5CFDF-C22E-422A-AC71-19E187DAD90B.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, it is a lovely stone, and if it was mine, I would set it in a Gypsy setting with 2 side stones as a RHR, probably with CSs, something green, blue-green or purple.

hancocks-gypsy-set-ring6.jpg il_1140xN.2564554373_7746.jpg

DK :))

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a gorgeous colored spinel. :love:

I personally think diamonds would make it pop even more but I get not wanting them. What do you mean by robust? Something that looks more sturdy?

@Rfisher has a beautiful collet ring. It has a similar look to your inspo ring but uses snakes to add a little something extra instead of sides.

CA852E10-68FF-41EB-ABC5-2EF923A7E47B.jpeg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a lovely spinel from Yavorskyy a couple of months ago and am now being very indecisive about how to set it. I’d like a RHR and want something robust, so not lots of tiny diamonds in the setting, and not a 3 stone (have 2 of those already). It’s only about 6x5.5 mm, do you think that’s enough to stand alone? I’m not really a “big ring” person anyhow.

Here‘s the stone,

37DF2C9B-6DC3-4498-B661-1C8096F4343A.jpeg
and here’s an inspiration setting I like, not sure how you’d describe it, I’m thinking of using the centre bit only (for reference the stone in the photo is 7.3mm ish). I think the setting has a white gold head and a yellow gold shank.

73B5CFDF-C22E-422A-AC71-19E187DAD90B.jpeg

Oh my- I’d love to see more pictures of your stone! A Yavorskyy ....:love:
I think it’d look gorgeous in a solitaire collet setting!
(Thank you @elle_71125 )

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo, it is a lovely stone, and if it was mine, I would set it in a Gypsy setting with 2 side stones as a RHR, probably with CSs, something green, blue-green or purple.

hancocks-gypsy-set-ring6.jpg il_1140xN.2564554373_7746.jpg

Thank you! I did wonder about something similar, would certainly be easy to wear. Who could do this in the U.K? I was vaguely thinking about using Durham Rose.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a gorgeous colored spinel. :love:

I personally think diamonds would make it pop even more but I get not wanting them. What do you mean by robust? Something that looks more sturdy?

@Rfisher has a beautiful collet ring. It has a similar look to your inspo ring but uses snakes to add a little something extra instead of sides.

CA852E10-68FF-41EB-ABC5-2EF923A7E47B.jpeg

Thank you! I guess I meant something that I could just chuck on and wear without worrying about it being damaged. I love @Rfisher’s ring, and the snakes make it so unique!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my- I’d love to see more pictures of your stone! A Yavorskyy ....:love:
I think it’d look gorgeous in a solitaire collet setting!
(Thank you @elle_71125 )

Thank you, I love it and luckily it wasn’t too expensive, I think because it is cut quite deep and faces up small. Beautiful colour, though. Your ring is so gorgeous, I think it’s by CJ Sako, isn’t it? Looks really easy to wear.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, I love it and luckily it wasn’t too expensive, I think because it is cut quite deep and faces up small. Beautiful colour, though. Your ring is so gorgeous, I think it’s by CJ Sako, isn’t it? Looks really easy to wear.

Thank you! Yes, Sako/Cicada Jewelry. It is an easy wear, it doesn’t snag or catch lint. It is totally enclosed in the back, but is set watertight - so whatever that means, he said it shouldn’t let moisture/grime behind the stone so cleaning pavilion isn’t an issue. But I have to be extremely careful to not get it near moisture due to the patina on the silver. If you go white gold - that will solve that issue completely :)
I’d love to hear (and see) more about the cut and color of your stone, when you can!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I did wonder about something similar, would certainly be easy to wear. Who could do this in the U.K? I was vaguely thinking about using Durham Rose.

Simon Wright in London would probably do it - he made my MRB bangle for me.

There are a couple of benches local to me, one in the town where I live; and the other about 15 miles away that I had used for ring repair and resizing, and resetting my EC diamond into a setting made elsewhere. Both in Wiltshire.

I do not know if any of them would accept customer-supplied stones in the post for them to work on, sorry.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Simon Wright in London would probably do it - he made my MRB bangle for me.

There are a couple of benches local to me, one in the town where I live; and the other about 15 miles away that I had used for ring repair and resizing, and resetting my EC diamond into a setting made elsewhere. Both in Wiltshire.

I do not know if any of them would accept customer-supplied stones in the post for them to work on, sorry.

Thank you again @dk168, I haven't heard of Simon Wright, will look him up. I live in Scotland and have no idea about local people, I'll have to explore. I don't think custom jewellery making is all that big around here!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you again @dk168, I haven't heard of Simon Wright, will look him up. I live in Scotland and have no idea about local people, I'll have to explore. I don't think custom jewellery making is all that big around here!

Perhaps Googling for silver and/or goldsmiths in Scotland to see if there are any close to you?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Rfisher my photography isn't that great, sadly, limited to an old iPhone SE. I took some more pics and was quite surprised by how different the colour can look, even just moving my hand around!

North facing window,
AB0941FC-9D8C-4DFE-B8DD-84BA6EC78B5E.jpeg

East facing,
tempImageNJkYBB.png
Goes from pinky red to red to almost orange. It was cut by Yavorskyy, I believe. I had been looking for a typical "Jedi" stone, not sure if this is one or not but it certainly does not have a dark side!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
love love this!
I don’t know about it’s possible Jedi-ness, but
Im partial to reds leaning towards orange over purple, any day.
Thank you for the additional pics!
I definitely think it can stand its own on a ring.
Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

voce

Ideal_Rock
This is not typical Jedi, but it's lovely and unique. I recall that @Pennyc got a cushion red spinel about the same size as yours, and her thread is filled with gorgeous inspirations. She ultimately set hers in a custom diamond double halo ring by Ivy and Rose.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not typical Jedi, but it's lovely and unique. I recall that @Pennyc got a cushion red spinel about the same size as yours, and her thread is filled with gorgeous inspirations. She ultimately set hers in a custom diamond double halo ring by Ivy and Rose.

That’s a great thread, love all the mock ups! Lots of food for thought.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
:love: I personally call this candy colored in my head. It's those beautiful reds that you could just eat. A collet set would be beautiful and stand up to everyday wear. It's beautiful and it will have impact by virtue of the color alone.:love:
This is a really cool ring owned by @userangl28212003 that incorporates spinel and enamel and was made by Aurora Jewelers on Etsy...

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone and I love the inspiration setting too. There's a place in Shawlands (https://www.bejouled.co.uk/). I haven't used them but Darren (the owner) was a down to earth friendly guy when I spoke to him (I believe he does the settings for other local jewellers). There are two places in Clarkson and a lady who does silver in EK (can't quite remember the name but I can find out).

Edit to add there was also a place in the Argyle Arcade but the window was empty a few weeks before Christmas so they maybe didn't survive Covid, but I'm sure a Google would show up others that might be in there. There's also another lady called Helen Swan.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! My suggestion is to surround it with white metal and/or diamonds in whichever style you choose. For example, I could see it bezel set in a shield shape platinum setting with some random diamonds. So many options when you have a gemstone that really is the "pop" of color.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
@Snowdrop13 lovely spinel I am so glad I set mine with diamonds and white gold it acts as a sort of frame for the spinel which is really the standout

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: I personally call this candy colored in my head. It's those beautiful reds that you could just eat. A collet set would be beautiful and stand up to everyday wear. It's beautiful and it will have impact by virtue of the color alone.:love:
This is a really cool ring owned by @userangl28212003 that incorporates spinel and enamel and was made by Aurora Jewelers on Etsy...

It is a bit like a boiled sweet! That’s a beautiful ring, I hadn’t thought about enamelling.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone and I love the inspiration setting too. There's a place in Shawlands (https://www.bejouled.co.uk/). I haven't used them but Darren (the owner) was a down to earth friendly guy when I spoke to him (I believe he does the settings for other local jewellers). There are two places in Clarkson and a lady who does silver in EK (can't quite remember the name but I can find out).

Edit to add there was also a place in the Argyle Arcade but the window was empty a few weeks before Christmas so they maybe didn't survive Covid, but I'm sure a Google would show up others that might be in there. There's also another lady called Helen Swan.

Wow, @Tartansparkles I hadn’t realised there were so many possibles. I will spend some time this afternoon looking these up. I have a couple of other, smaller setting jobs I’d like to do, it would be so amazing to find someone local I could trust.

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I believe your lovely stone is a mixed cut which Yavorskyy favors with a brilliant crown and step cut bottom. It's one of my favorites when well executed.

I know you don't want a blingy setting but I can't resist sharing a ringdant made with I believe a similarly sized vivid spinel, by CaiMao / Jewelryhoo: https://www.pricescope.com/communit...endant-convertible-piece.245007/#post-4449769

Looking forward to seeing your choice!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Yavorskyy is new to me, is it a cut/cutter/brand name?

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, it's a pretty stone. I like the color and color shift a lot. I would definitely wear that size as-is. That said, I think a stone that size, just set is a simple prong setting, can look uber-minimalist or unfinished (depending on your perspective).

With that stone, if I wanted to do a solitaire setting, I'd probably consider something that looks more "finished" to my eyes, like a bezel setting, something like the collet settings above, or with some sort of interesting detailing on the shoulders.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone! I have a red spinel on a right hand chunky white gold setting that I love because it can be dressed up or casual. I think my stone is similar in size to yours but lower clarity. 96C32D9F-42C6-44F6-96E1-F0F1E14D4139.jpeg 530661DB-50E9-4E64-8BF3-3BDD158B1D65.jpeg 62E0F5B9-8A7C-471F-B1B1-F5CD2C72BC3C.jpeg

That‘s lovely, looks very wearable and a super red stone!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results