shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with my 2 ctw martini studs?

Sam121

Rough_Rock
I currently have a pair of 2 ctw 3 prong martini studs, but for some reason the 3 prong look has never grown on me. I am thinking of ways to reset it, and am thinking of:

6 prongs (my safe bet)

bezel milgrain (ala Circe's beauties!)
d43a35ef.jpg

micropave halo jacket ala janiced163's earrings
3ab9047e.jpg

I am leaning very slightly towards the bezel milgrain, but would earrings in that size look weird with bezels? Also, would a bezel make it look more casual and harder for me to transition from day to night? I love both for very different reasons and can't make up my mind...or should I play it safe and get it set in a 6 prong setting?

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
You could give them to me! :naughty:

Just kidding! I don't see the bezel as being more casual--I think it could easily transition day to night. I think the only concern with bezels is the size of the stones, I've seen bezeled earrings in smaller sizes. Do others have that tcw in bezels? If you can't decide, you can't go wrong with 6 prong.

BoulderGal

stci

Ideal_Rock
I love bezel but I think 6 prongs would be an excellent choice for your beauties. I prefer 6 prongs cause the diamonds seem to float on the lobe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just say go to 4 or 6 prongs. I do want a pair of bezel studs (BGD) but I would get a smaller pair for that project. I think the halo makes them too dressy/formal. So 4 or 6 prongs would be my vote for the most versatile choice! (Mine are in 4 prong settings which I prefer.)

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Well you def can't go wrong with the 6-prong.

But my vote would actually be for the bezel milgrain set. I think it's a little more different and I actually think it's perfect for casual/dressy transitions! I also consider this because of the size stones you have, I personally like bezels in larger stones :twirl:
In any case you won't go wrong with whatever choice you make!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto, 4 or 6 prongs for me. I personally don't like large bezeled earrings, unlike LB above me :cheeky: and I think permanent micropave makes them too formal for day wear (though I think you should definitely consider some jackets, however you decide to set them!!) They're large stones so 4prongs wouldn't make them look square-ish from afar, so that's not a concern. I prefer 6, if your issue w/ the three is that you feel they don't sufficiently define the stones on your ears.

Two more things to consider - what backs you want, screw or push, and whether you want the heads to have pointy ends that sit inside your holes, flatter martini ends, or baskets - I personally found the pointy ones that slide into my ears very uncomfortable

CLPS.jpg basket.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
6 prongs but also get jackets!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for 6 prong settings.

Sam121

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

thanks much for the vote! SO thinks 6 prongs with jackets is the safe bet to go with, especially since I have some loose baroque tahitians around that I want to convert into removable danglys with the studs at some point. but for some reason Circe and Phoenix's bezel milgrain studs just makes me swoon!

Dani,

the link to Bliss's pair is :love: Am wondering would it look overpowering in real life given the 8 prongs or just nice and dainty?

Yssie,

thanks for the information! I never did give it much thought, but you are right about the martinis - one thing I am not keen on is that mine goes 'into' my ear and it makes it rather uncomfortable for me. I would rather have a more 'flat basket' like setting, ala the emerald cut earring you posted!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I have about the same size. Martinis didn't work for me either, but fortunately I found that out before I bought. I have four prong. Mine are ACAs from Whiteflash and I've been wearing them almost three years and they are super comfortable. I think six would also be fine. six would make them look rounder--4 gives them a bit of a square look (though not very pronounced).
I don't go for the bezel milgrain or the little halos. In the case of the larger studs, I think that they stand on their own, if they are a nice diamond and I wouldn't gild the lily. Keep it simple. But its up to what you like.
Keep enjoying your earrings.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you can probably guess which way I'll vote .... :mrgreen:

One thing I will say is, I think the setting style vs. the size depends on your earlobes. Before I ordered these, I got bezeled fakies just to make sure I wouldn't feel silly. One ctw totally disappeared on my elephant ears: one and a half looks proportional and lovely, if I do say myself; and three? Three carats total weight looked perfect. Now, I don't see that happening anytime in the near future ... but since I love the simplicity and the vintage-y detailing of the milgrained bezel, I wouldn't hesitate for a heartbeat to get get the same setting with larger stones, should the opportunity arise.

And if you happen to be lucky enough to have petite, elfin earlobes, you could always bezel them, milgrain them, and dangle them .... :naughty:

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
I vote halo jacket! I do think that they look dressier, but honestly "dressy studs" aren't even really that dressy IMO (unlike a diamond choker or chandelier earrings or something!), and I would wear them with anything from a tshirt to a dress.

Sam121

Rough_Rock
Blackjade,

thanks! I have tried on the 4 prong look but it sort of looks too square on me, hence contemplating the 6 prong or bezel look. I have never seen or tried bezeled earrings in that size before, hence I am worried about it looking over the top or extraneous, as you mentioned!

Circe,

that's a great suggestion! It never occurred to me find some cheapie fakes to try on before I get them made...I think 3ctw earrings sounds gorgeous...and didn't you get your earrings from ID where they have a great upgrade policy? I see another project in the works :naughty:

iugurl,

i just might do the jacket on top of getting the 6 prongs/milgrain! not sure how SO feels with so many projects (reset/jacket/danglys) in the works so I got to introduce them to him slowly... "oh this old thing? I have had it ages ago!" :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results