shape
carat
color
clarity

What To Do With Ivory?

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I have an ivory necklace that was gifted to me when I was a young child and did not know what ivory actually was or how it is obtained.

I don't wear it because I don't feel comfortable about it, but it has sentimental value so I don't want to get rid of it (plus I don't want to encourage anyone else to buy ivory).

It's been sitting in a drawer for over 20 years, and I feel like I should do something about that, but I don't know what. I realise this is all a bit vague! But I thought I'd throw this out there to all you good people and gather your perspectives.

Any suggestions?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are people who say all ivory pieces should be destroyed.
I have a few small antique Japanese ivory netsuke. I wouldn’t feel comfortable destroying them. To me that shows disrespect to the animal that lost its life and the craftsman, who at the time, was creating what was considered a Special work of Art. I also purchased them over 30 years ago. And to be honest, in my naivety back then I never “connected” these exquisite carvings to the slaughter of elephants purely for their tusks. Maybe I just assumed they were only using the tusks from elephants that died natural deaths? So I have them in my Cabinet.
I would never buy another piece, even certified as antique, and I will never sell them.
They are what they are.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing you can do but keep it or give it away.
Ivory has no value anymore. It is banned worldwide, and for good reason!
You can own it, but you cant sell it.
But it still turns up at sales, and I pick it up, if only to give homage to the poor elephants.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe wear it if you like it? If someone asks about it, just reply it is a family heirloom? If you don't want to specify it is ivory, just say you're "not sure what it is, maybe white onyx or even celluloid since it is so old" ...

Or, just keep it in a box of special momentos and go through the box once in a while ...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am Chinese, and can remember my parents giving ivory chopsticks as wedding presents when I was young.

My family has always used ivory chopsticks, and each member of the family has his/her own pair, plus spare ones for guests. I still use the pair designated as mine whenever I visit my mum and bro.

I have some ivory chopsticks of my own nowadays, including a pair with my name in Chinese carved onto them, and two pairs of "wedding" chopsticks, one with dragons and the other with phoenix carved on them, symbolising the groom and bride.

I am certain my mum has other antique ivory pieces in storage, at least a Budda or two, and one with multilayers of carved spheres nested inside.

As already mentioned, one cannot sell or trade ivories anymore, including antique pieces which causes a lot of headaches for dealers for pieces with ivory inlays in their inventory.

As for myself, mine would probably be given away when I leave this earth.

DK :))

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You could restring it and recreate a piece that you'll wear.
You could gift it.
You could leave it sit in your drawer for your heirs to decide once you are no longer able to do so.
You could destroy it.

Those really are your options.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
This is certainly an uncomfortable subject as no one wants to endorse or in any way support the killing of these majestic animals for our adornment.
Personally I would keep such things to honor the animal. While I don't have anything ivory I do have some exotic fur that was given to me or that I rescued. I don't wear the furs. Some can be donated to a museum but ivory is common so idk. I might wear the ivory but tell people it is fake if anyone asks....I doubt anyone would ask.
I don't feel conflicted about owning these things....I am in no way responsible for what was done decades ago in the name of fashion and I don't encourage a market for it.. But I can not destroy these pieces either as then it feels like I am erasing the sacrifice of the animal. That probably doesn't make sense. I do sometimes get out the furs to appreciate and admire...they are beautiful.

CalliopeCladdagh

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your insights.
It is a tricky subject.

I like the idea a couple of you have mentioned about honouring the animal and acknowledging its sacrifice. I am still not sure whether I feel comfortable enough to wear it (not that I think anyone would ask about it - it's just a string of small beads) but I am feeling less guilty about owning it after reading your stories.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for your insights.
It is a tricky subject.

I like the idea a couple of you have mentioned about honouring the animal and acknowledging its sacrifice. I am still not sure whether I feel comfortable enough to wear it (not that I think anyone would ask about it - it's just a string of small beads) but I am feeling less guilty about owning it after reading your stories.

Its indeed a hard question to answer

do you want to show us some pictures ?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think of it sort of like wearing vintage fur, I don't mind making us of an existing piece but would never condone or wear NEW fur.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter has worn a few vintage furs she has been given by her IL's. I do not consider wearing mine because they are now endangered/protected. I could pass off ivory but that wouldn't work with exotic fur. I have a beautiful piece of leopard fur that I have thought about framing so it can be appreciated but I fear it will be very upsetting to some people.

My daughter has worn a few vintage furs she has been given by her IL's. I do not consider wearing mine because they are now endangered/protected. I could pass off ivory but that wouldn't work with exotic fur. I have a beautiful piece of leopard fur that I have thought about framing so it can be appreciated but I fear it will be very upsetting to some people.

There is at least one organization that uses donated furs in wildlife rescue operations for orphaned kits/cubs/etc, and iirc they also use exotics. (Can’t remember the name but I’m sure it’s an easy Google.). I think it’s a beautiful way of repurposing old pieces that you can’t wear for whatever reason, and I can’t think of a more ethical disposal for them.

Personally, I think even a vintage leopard coat is more ethical than a brand-new fast fashion parka made entirely of synthetics and intended to last one season. I don’t own anything that exotic but I wear my 60 y/o thrifted fox and beavers and minks with 0 qualms.

I feel the same way about ivory. Useful or beautiful objects should be used and enjoyed, to an extent. (Ivory chopsticks in a private home do not have the potential for human harm that say, displaying Americana “Mammy” dolls in a random diner might.)

If you know the piece has a cruelty-free provenance, delight in that, and share it widely! But also share what you know when it doesn’t have such a pretty backstory.

When we viewed the mineralogy exhibits at the Smithsonian, I told my kids about how countless children just like them lived short brutal lives to bring those gems out of the ground, and we also let ourselves be overwhelmed by their beauty. (And now when my oldest talks engagement rings she talks Montana sapphires or anthill garnets, so I chalk that one up in the W column.)

Sometimes, too, the sheer banality of an object drives the point home. Let that ivory statuette have pride of place on your mantel — and encourage conversation about why it’s now rare and somewhat taboo.

When your grandkids look it over, teach them about the ivory trade and how cruel people became in order to produce something possibly lovely but ultimately useless.

When you’re complimented — or challenged— on you ivory pendant, talk about the value of using old things, how a vintage piece is always more ethical than buying new, because the cruelty didn’t stop when we banned ivory.

Unethical goods absolutely permeate our lives right now. And if old pieces can spark conversation about that, all the better.

/soapbox

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results