shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with a razor thin girdle stone?

adler9

Rough_Rock
Recently I acquired a spinel with a razor thin girdle all around the stone. The first thing I noticed when I got the stone was how he girdle felt so sharp, almost like a shard when running my finger over it. I already somehow chipped the girdle in one spot from looking at it and probably from dropping it on the floor. None of my colored stones have girdle tis thin, so I am thinking for it to be set, I need to repair the (very small) chip as well as correct the thin girdle. I am just wondering if somebody has had a colored stone shaved all around the girdle, to make the girdle thicker that way? Can a thin girdle be fixed as simple as that? Or would a complete recut be involved to make the girdle thicker. If that is the case, I am not sure I want to proceed with a drastic recut. The stone is a cushion with native cut, and I dont mind if the facet "meets" are screwed up by shaving down the girdle as the meets are not precision level now anyways. Thanks for your help!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Halo it and put it in a pendant

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would send it to Jerry Newman to look at it and see if he can re-cut it. He does amazing work and as a bonus he is very nice. You can find him on the recommended vendor list.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I suspect there will be some face up loss. Without seeing the stone in person, I am unable to tell you more than that. It is best to have a lapidary check it out either in person or with several detailed photographs from different angles.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results