shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with a 1 CT Emerald Cut Diamond???

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CharlotteYork I was first going to suggest an E/W pendant because I love them and I want one although I am not really a pendant girl. However, after seeing a picture of your beautiful emerald, I think that you should keep it as a RHR.

Here are a few my favorite emerald settings:
719DD0C0-CE72-4264-AC30-396633CDA092.jpeg

78A10323-6D96-43F4-A211-053FEE796112.jpeg
16B44116-C9DE-4633-92BF-6B9E42E5E857.jpeg
Ooooh! Love the first one you posted.
Who is the designer?

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ecsemimountcadrevised.jpg
CAD of my ring setting, hope this helps. Ring size is a whopping 10 1/2!
And thanks!

DK :))

Hmmm... I'm not seeing the measurements of the halo, rats! Luce said the halo for a 1 carat stone would make it approximately 11 x 10 depending on the size of stones added. Does that sound about right?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would so wear that ring! Sorry I’m no help

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the wonderful feedback and suggestions!!! Here are my two favorite settings. I will most likely have one of these replicated (for a ring) although I still might do a pendant... I'll need to get specific measurements to determine exactly how large the combined stones with halo will be in order to make my final decision... I will be working with Whiteflash (again!)

The first ring has a 1.5 carat center, and I read that the surrounding halo makes it look like a single 8-10 carat stone.

The second ring has a 1.65 carat center. I don't know how large the halo makes it appear... I have included a picture of it on the hand... Note that this ring does not have the "flush" halo that I prefer (the first image below is flush). And I think the surrounding stones on the top ring are larger, yes?

Engagement_Lessons_02-thumbnail-1200x1200.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 11.26.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.50.41 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 10.50.41 AM.png
    602 KB · Views: 24

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The width of the halo of my ring can be guesstimate as following:
Width of EC + 2 * Width of paved diamonds + 2 * Metal in each side of the paved diamonds + 2 * Air Gap

Based on the above:
4.97 + 3 + 2 + 2 = 11.97mm

The width of the halo is dependent upon the width of the main stone and the width of the diamonds in the halo.

ECs can be chubby or lean.

I too considered having a halo with step cut diamonds, however, my research revealed that for a well-made one, it would cost a fortune as the diamonds would need to be custom-cut to fit around the centre stone. Badly executed ones looked horrendous.

Besides, I do not like illusional settings that try to make a small stone bigger.

Each to their own.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The width of the halo of my ring can be guesstimate as following:
Width of EC + 2 * Width of paved diamonds + 2 * Metal in each side of the paved diamonds + 2 * Air Gap

Based on the above:
4.97 + 3 + 2 + 2 = 11.97mm

The width of the halo is dependent upon the width of the main stone and the width of the diamonds in the halo.

ECs can be chubby or lean.

I too considered having a halo with step cut diamonds, however, my research revealed that for a well-made one, it would cost a fortune as the diamonds would need to be custom-cut to fit around the centre stone. Badly executed ones looked horrendous.

Besides, I do not like illusional settings that try to make a small stone bigger.

Each to their own.

So helpful, thank you!! I'm not a fan of halos either, but I think emerald and asscher cut diamonds look like works of art in these settings! I am concerned about the cost of the custom cut diamonds... I have absolutely no idea what to expect, yikes! I should probably have a few back up ideas as well. Do you remember roughly what you were quoted?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the non-bezel setting at the top of your picture better. I like that setting very much.

jen2mc

Shiny_Rock
The original ring is so beautiful— but, I understand if you’re not wearing it. I have a 1.25 round diamond that was my grandmothers that my grandpa gave me. I put it into a bezel pendant. I’m so scared about losing it, that I never wear it! Something about it being a necklace makes me scared will fall off and I won’t notice!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I like the non-bezel setting at the top of your picture better. I like that setting very much.

Oh I am in love with this setting!!! It was made in France in the 1920s... I found it online and would love to have it replicated. And I prefer the prongs vs. the bezel as well. :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the bezel for illusion settings like this because it is seamless transition. The proms make it busy and disjointed in my view. How about just a bezel? This is one of my all time favourites:
92CAD3B7-2054-40BF-B8D4-37756576EEE9.jpeg

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of my ring... It is really such a beautiful setting, and I feel a little guilty about dismantling it, but I never wear it and I am of the firm belief that diamonds need to be worn!!

IMG_2022.jpg

OMG! Such a nice piece of jewelry! To tell the truth, I would wear it, as it is, and I wouldn’t dismantle it. Sorry for saying this, but it’s sooo gorgeous. At least keep the setting, maybe at some point you could use it!
Or buy an inexpensive colored stone, put it in, and wear the diamond as a pendant!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I much prefer the bezel for illusion settings like this because it is seamless transition. The proms make it busy and disjointed in my view. How about just a bezel? This is one of my all time favourites:
92CAD3B7-2054-40BF-B8D4-37756576EEE9.jpeg

What a beautiful setting! Now that I look more closely, I think you may be right about the bezel vs. prongs...

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Oh that is beautiful!! I love these original old settings!! Actually, I wonder if there are any dealers who sell JUST the settings? We purchased an OEC years ago from the Diamond District in NYC. I really wish I could remember the name of the store!! I told the owner how much I loved antique settings, and he pulled out a huge box full of them! He only deals in diamonds, so when they come in in a setting, he just plucks them out and puts the setting in a box that was collecting dust. He said he has no use for them, and let me have one for free with the purchase of my stone!! I may start another thread on this subject!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
OMG! Such a nice piece of jewelry! To tell the truth, I would wear it, as it is, and I wouldn’t dismantle it. Sorry for saying this, but it’s sooo gorgeous. At least keep the setting, maybe at some point you could use it!
Or buy an inexpensive colored stone, put it in, and wear the diamond as a pendant!

I will absolutely keep it! My grandmother actually had the stone reset in yellow gold back in the 80s when yellow gold was all the rage. So it has been done before! :)

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is beautiful!! I love these original old settings!! Actually, I wonder if there are any dealers who sell JUST the settings? We purchased an OEC years ago from the Diamond District in NYC. I really wish I could remember the name of the store!! I told the owner how much I loved antique settings, and he pulled out a huge box full of them! He only deals in diamonds, so when they come in in a setting, he just plucks them out and puts the setting in a box that was collecting dust. He said he has no use for them, and let me have one for free with the purchase of my stone!! I may start another thread on this subject!

I would think most of the vendors who sell old cut diamonds have some antique settings. I know LAD and JBG often have some on their websites, and I'm guessing the other vendors who sell loose old cuts get quite a few. Finding one you like that fits your stone might be a bit of a challenge. And if you find one online that you like, a vendor could recreate something similar for you that is made for your stone.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful setting! Now that I look more closely, I think you may be right about the bezel vs. prongs...
That was just my opinion, but you will be wearing the ring and need to love it. I think that your emerald is beautiful as is without an illusion halo, so I would personally accentuate the stone, but again - you will be the wearer. The setting is by Erika Winters. Her work is expensive, but it looks stunning. @yssie has multiple pieces by her.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would think most of the vendors who sell old cut diamonds have some antique settings. I know LAD and JBG often have some on their websites, and I'm guessing the other vendors who sell loose old cuts get quite a few. Finding one you like that fits your stone might be a bit of a challenge. And if you find one online that you like, a vendor could recreate something similar for you that is made for your stone.

Thank you! I will check it out. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Brushed Yellow gold Bezel with millgrain and make into a fixed east west pendant.

Just saw the one @SimoneDi posted. YES. PENDANT.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the wonderful feedback and suggestions!!! Here are my two favorite settings. I will most likely have one of these replicated (for a ring) although I still might do a pendant... I'll need to get specific measurements to determine exactly how large the combined stones with halo will be in order to make my final decision... I will be working with Whiteflash (again!)

The first ring has a 1.5 carat center, and I read that the surrounding halo makes it look like a single 8-10 carat stone.

The second ring has a 1.65 carat center. I don't know how large the halo makes it appear... I have included a picture of it on the hand... Note that this ring does not have the "flush" halo that I prefer (the first image below is flush). And I think the surrounding stones on the top ring are larger, yes?

Engagement_Lessons_02-thumbnail-1200x1200.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 11.26.42 PM.png

I think you should do a ring, for the simple reason that its a very special stone and if its in a ring you will be able to see it, whereas in earrings or a pendant only others will be able to appreciate and not you! :twirl:

blingisintheair

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture of my ring... It is really such a beautiful setting, and I feel a little guilty about dismantling it, but I never wear it and I am of the firm belief that diamonds need to be worn!!

IMG_2022.jpg
I love this setting and am looking at something similar. Do you mind telling me what your finger size is? Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results