shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do with a 1 CT Emerald Cut Diamond???

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My grandmother gave me a simple solitaire with a beautiful emerald cut diamond, approximately 1 carat. It has been sitting in my jewelry box for years, and I want to do something with it, but what?? My first thought was earrings - I would need to purchase a matching stone - but I have been told that emerald cut diamonds are not attractive as earrings... Is this true? Here are two inspirational images as to how I would have them set...
art deco.jpg E7581WG.jpg

The option with the pave diamonds is appealing as it makes these earrings look more square vs. rectangular, which I suppose would be a more attractive shape for earrings? However, will all of the surrounding stones make these earrings ridiculously large with 1 carat diamonds in the middle of each? How many mm would the surrounding stones add? Perhaps I should just replicate this style for a right-hand ring... Bigger would definitely be better for a ring! :)

Another option... Here is an antique ring that is absolutely exquisite, but I don't know if would be large enough for my preference without the pave diamond surround...

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 11.26.42 PM.png

I would also consider selecting one of the above styles to create a pendant, although that is not my first choice...

My final thought would be to create a fun, art deco inspired bow ring - similar to this one - but using my emerald cut in the middle instead of the round pictured (and white gold!)...

bow ring.jpg

Please weigh in! My biggest question is how many mm a surrounding baguette and pave diamond halo will add to my stone... that will strongly guide my decision. I look forward to your thoughts, and thank you for your help!!

Q

Queenie60

A pendant?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I’d set it east/west in a semi bezel. Wearable, simple, classy but slightly different, and I think E/W makes it not too engagement ring-like as a RHR. There’s a sholdt semibezel that’s just stunning - LAD has one on the site.

That doesn’t really fit with your inspiration pictures, but as you asked for ideas I thought I’d throw it out there!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post some pictures of your ring! :)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 1.19ct E VS1 set in an air line/gap halos that I wear as a RHR whenever I can.
ecreset_a.jpg

DK :))

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
always a pendant, if the emerald cut diamond does those HUGE flashes then a pendant would be so beautiful. (Of course I WANT a pendant so I am biased) :)

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My 1.19ct E VS1 set in an air line/gap halos that I wear as a RHR whenever I can.
ecreset_a.jpg

Oh, wow! This is absolutely gorgeous, and that setting makes it look HUGE!! Do you by chance know the total mm, including the surrounding stones?

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
always a pendant, if the emerald cut diamond does those HUGE flashes then a pendant would be so beautiful. (Of course I WANT a pendant so I am biased) :)

Yes, I am definitely considering a pendant. I do not have a diamond pendant, and I think it would be beautiful with either of the settings I posted as options for the earrings. And special to wear my grandmother's diamond by my heart! :kiss2:

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
A pendant?

Definitely an option, and I love both of the setting styles I posted for the earrings... I think I am actually starting to lean towards this idea! Now which setting to choose?!?! Oh decisions, decisions!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If it were me, I’d set it east/west in a semi bezel. Wearable, simple, classy but slightly different, and I think E/W makes it not too engagement ring-like as a RHR. There’s a sholdt semibezel that’s just stunning - LAD has one on the site.

That doesn’t really fit with your inspiration pictures, but as you asked for ideas I thought I’d throw it out there!

That sounds beautiful, I will check it out! Thank you!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your first inspiration picture of the dainty bezel earrings but I believe the surrounding baguettes would likely need to be custom cut to fit perfectly around your emerald cut diamond since they all vary in ratio, clipped corner size, etc. Personally, not a fan of ECs for earrings bc they perform best when they're super clean and that would be very hard to keep up with on your ears!

I really like the E/W bezel ring idea but a pendant would be beautiful and probably my top choice IF you would wear it!

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I love your first inspiration picture of the dainty bezel earrings but I believe the surrounding baguettes would likely need to be custom cut to fit perfectly around your emerald cut diamond since they all vary in ratio, clipped corner size, etc. Personally, not a fan of ECs for earrings bc they perform best when they're super clean and that would be very hard to keep up with on your ears!

I really like the E/W bezel ring idea but a pendant would be beautiful and probably my top choice IF you would wear it!

I am really leaning towards the option of a pendant, and yes I would definitely wear it. Nana's diamond next to my heart, I just love that! :kiss2: The dainty bezel setting is so beautiful and classic, and yes the surrounding diamonds would need to be custom cut. But I just love how the precise custom stones makes it look like one very large stone! I do want to find out exactly how large the surrounding stones will make the overall size... I am thinking it would be equivalent to a 3 carat stone in size??

JoJa12345

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would do a simple pendant set east /west. Maybe a thin bezel but definitely set east/west.
:D

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMG_7374.PNG IMG_7375.PNG IMG_7377.PNG IMG_7378.PNG :lickout:Hi Charlotte,

What a fun decision! Your stone is probably around 6.7 x 5 mm. You might be looking at 11 x 10 by the time you add a halo, depending on the size of the stones. I have a .76ct emerald and have been looking at different settings for it. I would personally go with a ring so that I could look at it all the time! Also it may be hard to find a good match for your stone if you want earrings. I have attached a couple of photos of settings that I have considered.

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh.... the first one!!! Absolutely stunning!! It looks very similar to the antique French ring I was eyeing (pictured above)! Now I am leaning back towards the ring... Ring or pendant... but I have definitely decided against the earring option. And thank you for the dimensions, that is most helpful... So with the halo, it would appear around the size of a 5 - 5.5 carat stone, yes? Ooh la la! This might actually be a little large for a pendant... certainly way too big for earrings!! But perfect for a ring!

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

My middle-aged, long-sighted eyes struggle with small pictures, but it looks like your stone has beautiful, wide clipped corners? If so, something to accentuate that gorgeous octagonal shape would be amazing.

I love the baguette halo style you posted but it can definitely add $$$, as others have said, because of custom cutting. Some of the ideas above that mix baguettes and rounds to achieve the same effect would be cheaper and still add width, but I guess wouldn’t give you the same ‘illusion setting’ of one bigger stone that you seem keen on in quite the same way.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of my ring... It is really such a beautiful setting, and I feel a little guilty about dismantling it, but I never wear it and I am of the firm belief that diamonds need to be worn!!

IMG_2022.jpg

The existing setting is lovely but you need to wear it in the way that works for you. I bet your grandmother would be happier for you to wear it frequently in a new setting than have it sit in a box. =)

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My middle-aged, long-sighted eyes struggle with small pictures, but it looks like your stone has beautiful, wide clipped corners? If so, something to accentuate that gorgeous octagonal shape would be amazing.

I love the baguette halo style you posted but it can definitely add $$$, as others have said, because of custom cutting. Some of the ideas above that mix baguettes and rounds to achieve the same effect would be cheaper and still add width, but I guess wouldn’t give you the same ‘illusion setting’ of one bigger stone that you seem keen on in quite the same way.

Thank you lissyflo! With my existing setting, there are some fancy corner prongs that you may be seeing... And ugh, yes, why do I always fall in love with the most expensive options?! I absolutely have my heart set on the illusion setting. I originally saw an Aascher cut diamond set this way, and I thought it was exquisite. It makes the stone look huge... you have to look closely to see that it is not one large stone! In many ways, I actually like this look BETTER than one large stone! It adds such unique interest, lovely vintage Art Deco allure, and of course there is the exponentially lower price! So see, I am actually saving money, haha! :lol:

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
One other note regarding the illusion setting of the custom cut baguettes... I want them to be flush with my emerald cut stone... I don't want my stone raised above them. Does anyone know the proper terminology for this? Here is an example of what I mean...

The first image (top) shows the emerald cut center stone raised above the surrounding baguettes... The second image (bottom) shows the baguettes flush with center stone.

not flush baguettes.png side view.jpg

CharlotteYork

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is another example of custom baguettes set flush with the center stone... I don't like this overall setting, but it is a good example and it also shows how large it makes the center stone appear!

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.23 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.23 AM.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.23 AM.png
    448.7 KB · Views: 26

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1 for showing off the corners. an E/W bezel pendant like this would be :love:

b6bffd79d1fa9952887701484ae794e1--east-west-engagement-rings-emerald-engagement-rings.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oww, love your ring!!!! But it would be great to actually wear the stone. It will be great as a pendant or ring. Love the illusion setting you are eyeing.
I have chosen for a bright cut set halo for my small Asscher zircon and I love it. The setting is made by Victor Canera
2EE7686A-F1DA-4302-BE56-8AE8C27465E1.jpeg

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here is a picture of my ring... It is really such a beautiful setting, and I feel a little guilty about dismantling it, but I never wear it and I am of the firm belief that diamonds need to be worn!!

IMG_2022.jpg
Oh, what a beautiful ring. :love:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, wow! This is absolutely gorgeous, and that setting makes it look HUGE!! Do you by chance know the total mm, including the surrounding stones?

ecsemimountcadrevised.jpg
CAD of my ring setting, hope this helps. Ring size is a whopping 10 1/2!
And thanks!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CharlotteYork - What a fabulous UN!!!

I'm thinking in your inspiration photo below that's an illusion setting to make the center stone look bigger.

[QUOTE="CharlotteYork,

Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-05-01 at 9.52.23 AM.png [/QUOTE]

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that if you do not already wear the ring, you should make a pendant out of it. Then very small dainty studs out of the side baguettes!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the pendant idea. I love the setting that has baguette diamonds flanking the bale in a V shape. Classic and timeless as well as elegant.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandmother gave me a simple solitaire with a beautiful emerald cut diamond, approximately 1 carat. It has been sitting in my jewelry box for years, and I want to do something with it, but what?? My first thought was earrings - I would need to purchase a matching stone - but I have been told that emerald cut diamonds are not attractive as earrings... Is this true? Here are two inspirational images as to how I would have them set...
art deco.jpg E7581WG.jpg

The option with the pave diamonds is appealing as it makes these earrings look more square vs. rectangular, which I suppose would be a more attractive shape for earrings? However, will all of the surrounding stones make these earrings ridiculously large with 1 carat diamonds in the middle of each? How many mm would the surrounding stones add? Perhaps I should just replicate this style for a right-hand ring... Bigger would definitely be better for a ring! :)

Another option... Here is an antique ring that is absolutely exquisite, but I don't know if would be large enough for my preference without the pave diamond surround...

Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 11.26.42 PM.png

I would also consider selecting one of the above styles to create a pendant, although that is not my first choice...

My final thought would be to create a fun, art deco inspired bow ring - similar to this one - but using my emerald cut in the middle instead of the round pictured (and white gold!)...

bow ring.jpg

Please weigh in! My biggest question is how many mm a surrounding baguette and pave diamond halo will add to my stone... that will strongly guide my decision. I look forward to your thoughts, and thank you for your help!!

My colleagues wife has emerald cut studs. I could not take my eyes off of them!:love: So beautiful...that said if it were me I would set them as dangles.

I think a pendant would not sit properly. So either a ring or earrings.

Nice dilemma!

cheers--Sharon

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CharlotteYork I was first going to suggest an E/W pendant because I love them and I want one although I am not really a pendant girl. However, after seeing a picture of your beautiful emerald, I think that you should keep it as a RHR.

Here are a few my favorite emerald settings:
719DD0C0-CE72-4264-AC30-396633CDA092.jpeg

78A10323-6D96-43F4-A211-053FEE796112.jpeg
16B44116-C9DE-4633-92BF-6B9E42E5E857.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results