carat
color
clarity

What to do with 24 carat gold?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if anyone has worked with a jeweler who has reworked 24 carat gold to make more modern pieces?

I know 24 carat yellow gold is generally seen as being too soft to retain it's shape but in the Chinese culture, 24 carat gold is the norm for jewelry. Because it is so soft, people recognize that there will be some amount of wear that will show with the metal when worn for long periods of time.

I have pieces that are too traditional for my taste and would love to use the metal to make some thing modern and new.

I would love something like this. A statement piece that is really shows off the amazing color of the pure gold, yet still modern.

• http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=3&pID=897&startRow=1

Also, there are a bunch of pieces on the following website that are stunning too.

www.justgold.cc

Thank you for any suggestions.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1373091971|3477979 said:
I am wondering if anyone has worked with a jeweler who has reworked 24 carat gold to make more modern pieces?

I didn't have my own 24K gold reworked, since I didn't own any. I asked a bench jeweler here in Connecticut to make me jewelry in 24K gold. He has made me several pieces. One is a diamond ring similar to those to which you posted a link. Another is a set of 7 bangle bracelets. Photos of all of them have been posted on Pricescope in the past. I believe that they are probably all in The Gold Thread somewhere. If you want to read about the experience of others with high karat gold, you should read that, by the way. I will post a link below. I will also see if I have any photos of my jewelry on hand.

The Gold Thread...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/[/URL]

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

_7798.jpg

Attachments

• _52.bmp
    464.9 KB · Views: 1,544

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
in the Chinese culture, 24 carat gold is the norm .

Korea too. My mother gave me a bunch of her jewelry before I came back to the states and it's all 24k.
Im wearing the necklace chain on a daily basis (loveeeee the buttery yellow color, plus it's a nice chain)
but I have no clue what I'm going to do with the bracelets.
it's this odd Figaro style that reminds me of overweight Italian mob bosses wearing wife beaters (if that isn't the oddest thing you've heard all day)
I was thinking of just melting it into a bullion sort and holding on to it, or reworking it like you.

Mom won't be happy, but it feels ridiculous having it just sit in a box because it's not my style.

Also like my sheep.
i have a 24k sheep charm that is meant to be a cellphone charm.
uh how about no mother?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1373113489|3478006 said:
LLJsmom|1373091971|3477979 said:

I didn't have my own 24K gold reworked, since I didn't own any. I asked a bench jeweler here in Connecticut to make me jewelry in 24K gold. He has made me several pieces. One is a diamond ring similar to those to which you posted a link. Another is a set of 7 bangle bracelets. Photos of all of them have been posted on Pricescope in the past. I believe that they are probably all in The Gold Thread somewhere. If you want to read about the experience of others with high karat gold, you should read that, by the way. I will post a link below. I will also see if I have any photos of my jewelry on hand.

The Gold Thread...[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/do-you-have-a-favorite-gold-designer.29197/[/URL]

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

AGBF, thanks for your suggestions and pictures. I think the ring and the bangles are a great showing of what 24k can do. I may follow your idea. It's awesome that you found a jeweler that will do that for you.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelinas|1373135805|3478167 said:
in the Chinese culture, 24 carat gold is the norm .

Korea too. My mother gave me a bunch of her jewelry before I came back to the states and it's all 24k.
Im wearing the necklace chain on a daily basis (loveeeee the buttery yellow color, plus it's a nice chain)
but I have no clue what I'm going to do with the bracelets.
it's this odd Figaro style that reminds me of overweight Italian mob bosses wearing wife beaters (if that isn't the oddest thing you've heard all day)
I was thinking of just melting it into a bullion sort and holding on to it, or reworking it like you.

Mom won't be happy, but it feels ridiculous having it just sit in a box because it's not my style.

Also like my sheep.
i have a 24k sheep charm that is meant to be a cellphone charm.
uh how about no mother?

So funny right?? I may just sell it back. Always the challenge with this jewelry. But I would rather do something than just let it sit there. I have certain pieces I like, so I will keep some. :). Update us if you start any projects. :).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would sell it back and either get modern looking designs in Asia (HK, Taiwan and Singapore) or commission a specific design. I find that smaller towns tend to stock traditional designs but larger cities cater to carry more modern designs. My late grandmother commissioned a pendant shaped into a lily, complete with carved leaves and 3D stamens as my wedding present.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results