shape
carat
color
clarity

What to do - appraisal stinks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

W2W

Rough_Rock
You are right Valeria. I loved the stone from the beginning and the appraisal was a bummer that had me distracted for a moment. After I got to play with the stone for a day, I realized how beautiful it really is. I think we got really lucky and future fi is very happy with what he paid. He''s since snatched the stone back and hidden it in this very house. So I am impatiently waiting for his propsal if he''s not too sick of me after this diamond search.
37.gif
Hopefully we''ll be engaged soon. Of course I''ll go crazy with the pictures once that ring is in my eager little hands
9.gif

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
M-
I am so glad it is ending the way it is! The stone sounds incredible, color and all. I am not as hung up on color as my husband and I think if you love it, you love it. I hope to see some pictures of this great stone posted soon.

OHF

Roland

Rough_Rock
If you love the diamond, don''t worry about it''s grade on a paper. Just use that to make sure you get the best possible deal on the diamond. Don''t pay an I price for a K diamond. I''m so glad you found something you love, though, and I''m glad that you''re so happy!

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
i am having HILARIOUS mental imagery: one of the pricescope gals sitting in a tub of bubbles with a little dish with three loose stones in it.....putting them in one of those fake squeeze/pincer mountings.........................

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2006 11:10:15 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood
There''s approximately a 25% to 33% value difference between an ''I'' color and a ''K'' color, depending on the clarity of your stone.

That''s a fairly significant difference.

I would take it back to the vendor along with the appraisal. He will probably argue that the appraiser is incorrect, which is a possibility.

I would suggest you tell him you like the stone, but were under the impression you were buying an ''I'' color. Tell him you will keep it if (1) he refunds you the 25% to 33% difference in price, or (2) you will keep it for what you paid for it if the GIA grades it as an ''I''. If they grade it less, tell him you want the stone for whatever discount exists between the color grade they sold it to you as and what it really is.

Tell him you''re even willing to split the cost of the GIA cert with them.

If they''re not agreeable, tell them you want a total refund. That will get their attention.

At least that''s what I would do...
rock solid and decent approach! cheers richard

W2W

Rough_Rock
Confession... I filled the bathroom sink with bubbles and held the diamond over them.
19.gif
. Thanks Just Julia. My future fi thinks I have really lost my mind and he might be right. What I saw was that the stone does have a tint but it''s not yellow which is what would bother me. It shoots off incredible rainbow colors in low light and faces up white in sunlight, in daylight indoors etc. You can see some color from the side but it''s not something that bothers me. Plus, the stone has a relatively smaller pavilion which will covered by my setting. Most of the depth is in the huge crown which blings enough so that you can''t really look it straight in the eye.
10.gif
What really excites me most is it''s uniqueness. My mom said that I should think about why such an old antique made it''s way to me. I love it and I can''t wait.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/10/2006 9:36:55 PM
Author: miumi
Confession... I filled the bathroom sink with bubbles and held the diamond over them.
19.gif
. Thanks Just Julia. My future fi thinks I have really lost my mind and he might be right. What I saw was that the stone does have a tint but it''s not yellow which is what would bother me. It shoots off incredible rainbow colors in low light and faces up white in sunlight, in daylight indoors etc. You can see some color from the side but it''s not something that bothers me. Plus, the stone has a relatively smaller pavilion which will covered by my setting. Most of the depth is in the huge crown which blings enough so that you can''t really look it straight in the eye.
10.gif
What really excites me most is it''s uniqueness. My mom said that I should think about why such an old antique made it''s way to me. I love it and I can''t wait.
you know sommething funny--i have a pair of old mine/cushions that are super deep --one graded E and one F--both are not white (yes white but...) more rainbow.........same thing you describe

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results