shape
carat
color
clarity

What size scares you?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I''m perfectly happy wearing my .55ct to work and pretty much anywhere (except fencing, lol). It''s insured, but I think it''s more the size that makes me comfortable about having it on all the time. I''ve been thinking about larger diamonds, say 1ct. and above, and I''m wondering how you all feel about wearing your larger diamonds. Do you wear them all the time or just on special occassions, around the house, weekends, etc? If you''ve upgraded, at what size did you say to yourself "OMG, I''m afraid to wear this to _________!!" What size diamond are you comfortable wearing every day, mostly everywhere?

SuzyQZ

Brilliant_Rock
My wedding ring is 1.45 princess and my three stone RHR is 1.01ct, 1.51ct and 1.03ct radiants.

I wear my rings everyday, everywhere (except sleeping and working out). I have insurance on both so if they are lost, stolen or damaged they are covered.

I live in Southern California and have never felt like my rings are too big or that they would endanger me in any way. If I did, then I probably wouldn't own them. Also, If I were ever robbed, I'd give them both up in a heartbeat. They can be replaced, and my well being/life is worth far more than any ring.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I feel comfortable wearing up to a 3/4 carat all the time. And I do mean all the time. The only time they come off is when I''m taking a shower or cleaning the bathroom. (Don''t want those harsh chemicals to ruin my bling.) I even wear them to sleep, while I''m cooking and even doing the dishes. (sparkles) That being said, I do have one big ring that I just wear for special occasions.

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
My e-ring is a great size... (1.5 ec with .44 trilliants) but I could ALWAYS go a bit bigger (not ever planning to, though!)...I once tried on a 3ct round and a 4ct emerald cut....those were too big on me and I wouldn''t be comfortable wearing them everyday...but that is because I am 21, in grad school, and going into education. In 5 or 6 years, and working as a professional, I would probably feel more comfortable with that size (not that it would matter, as I wouldn''t have it!)....

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 7:08:51 PM
Author:ebonykawai
I''m perfectly happy wearing my .55ct to work and pretty much anywhere (except fencing, lol). It''s insured, but I think it''s more the size that makes me comfortable about having it on all the time. I''ve been thinking about larger diamonds, say 1ct. and above, and I''m wondering how you all feel about wearing your larger diamonds. Do you wear them all the time or just on special occassions, around the house, weekends, etc? If you''ve upgraded, at what size did you say to yourself ''OMG, I''m afraid to wear this to _________!!'' What size diamond are you comfortable wearing every day, mostly everywhere?
I''m planning to wear my diamond all the time - sleeping, in the shower, whenever, wherever... the only time I plan to take it off is when mixing meatloaf and since I''m having stones underneath it as well, probably when making snowball cookies LOL I probably wouldn''t wear it traveling out of the country either.... but I''m hoping in time it will just be so common on my finger I don''t think about this stuff anymore LOL It''s 2.7 carats. I could probably go up to 3-4 carats but I also wear a size 8 ring so it doesn''t look so huge on me lol

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
My e-ring is 2.33 total (1.51 center) and I wear it everywhere, except to the gym. My wedding band is an add''l .81 and I will wear it with my e-ring everywhere, except the gym.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 8:22:03 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 2/26/2007 7:08:51 PM
Author:ebonykawai
I''m perfectly happy wearing my .55ct to work and pretty much anywhere (except fencing, lol). It''s insured, but I think it''s more the size that makes me comfortable about having it on all the time. I''ve been thinking about larger diamonds, say 1ct. and above, and I''m wondering how you all feel about wearing your larger diamonds. Do you wear them all the time or just on special occassions, around the house, weekends, etc? If you''ve upgraded, at what size did you say to yourself ''OMG, I''m afraid to wear this to _________!!'' What size diamond are you comfortable wearing every day, mostly everywhere?
I''m planning to wear my diamond all the time - sleeping, in the shower, whenever, wherever... the only time I plan to take it off is when mixing meatloaf and since I''m having stones underneath it as well, probably when making snowball cookies LOL I probably wouldn''t wear it traveling out of the country either.... but I''m hoping in time it will just be so common on my finger I don''t think about this stuff anymore LOL It''s 2.7 carats. I could probably go up to 3-4 carats but I also wear a size 8 ring so it doesn''t look so huge on me lol
Ok, I admit it. I wear mine even when making meatloaf. I know,
23.gif

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
I asked because I saw pics of a 2ct and I thought "OMG, I could never wear that every day, I''d be afraid banging it, it''s so big!!" But I know I''m going to upgrade to at least 1.5ct for my 20th anniversary in 2-1/2 years. At least, I think I want 1.5ct. I don''t want something I''m not comfortable wearing all the time, yet I love big bling. Part of me is also sort of guilty, thinking "OMG, I''m wearing the equivalent of a sports car on my finger and hubby doesn''t even have a sports car." Gah.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 8:26:32 PM
Author: justjulia
23.gif
6.gif
Don''t make me take that ring away...
9.gif
2.gif

I wear my 1.4 round everywhere. I picked a size I could be totally comfortable with. I wanted something that wouldn''t necessarily attract attention, yet look nice.

I "think" I could wear close to 2 cts., but it would only be on certain occassions, not all the time.

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
I''d wear any size I could afford. Even though I am a jean-wearing stay @ home mom, I love having some bling on me. My friends know this about me and they would not be put off by a big honker. And as far as everyone else, I don''t care what they think. I would not take bling out of the country, but short of that Katy bar the door!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 8:38:16 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 2/26/2007 8:26:32 PM
23.gif
6.gif
Don''t make me take that ring away...
9.gif
2.gif

I wear my 1.4 round everywhere. I picked a size I could be totally comfortable with. I wanted something that wouldn''t necessarily attract attention, yet look nice.

I ''think'' I could wear close to 2 cts., but it would only be on certain occassions, not all the time.
Ok, then I won''t tell you about digging up bushes yesterday... boy, I am bad!
I had a 2 ct emerald cut and found that it attracted too much attn for me. I was always spinning the thing around out of view. I traded for 1.5 radiant (in the end) (after many trial and errors) and think this is what works best for me in all situations. I have an eternity band that I can leave off if I get too self concious. I consider myself a work in progress.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
ebonykawai, what size fingers do you have? I have 4.5 size and I once told my husband I don''t think I could wear anything bigger than 1.5ct. I think after that it would look funny on my hands. I asked him what he thought was too big. He replied 2.5, afterthat it looks bad.
6.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 8:55:13 PM
Ok, then I won''t tell you about digging up bushes yesterday... boy, I am bad!
I had a 2 ct emerald cut and found that it attracted too much attn for me. I was always spinning the thing around out of view. I traded for 1.5 radiant (in the end) (after many trial and errors) and think this is what works best for me in all situations. I have an eternity band that I can leave off if I get too self concious. I consider myself a work in progress.
LOL Thanks for not telling me.
11.gif

And as I said before, you have left no stone unturned.
2.gif

jayreneepea

Brilliant_Rock
I wear my 1.74 ct. all the time -- even sleeping. I could easily see myself with bigger and wearing it all the time too.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
When I''m on the metro or something like that I normally turn my rings so the stones don''t show and I just hope that people think my earrings are fake. I didn''t used to but I''ve noticed that people look at them and when it''s some sketchy guy staring at them, I get worried. Not that I think anyone would physically harm me in the middle of the day to take my rings but you never know...

I was in Greece, Egypt, France, and Turkey this past winter for a few weeks each and I was not comfortable at all wearing any diamonds. Seriously... I rarely if ever saw women wearing ANY diamond let alone a large one. I left my rings at home but accidently brought my earrings(forgot to take them out) and pendant and I left them in the safe at each hotel. It''s not that I thought they''d be stolen it''s just that I didn''t see anyone else wearing diamonds and I didn''t want to be the only one.

blingless

Rough_Rock
My wife wears a 3ct 3 stone (1.5ct center) eveywhere, everyday and plans on wearing her new e-ring when I give it to her on M-Day (2.5ct). She had a 3 ct that wasn''t ideal and was only worth about $12K that she used to wear everywhere. She did smack it into everything lol but what the heck. Sold it privately before christmas. Buyer''s jeweler didn''t find anything wrong with it. I think the prongs took most of the abuse. Never insured anytihing. Takes them off to sleep, shower, cook, etc. Hope that helps........

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my 3+ everywhere, except the gym (and that''s because I haven''t gone there in a while). Also, I don''t wear any other jewellery.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
When I am in my home country or travelling to a developed or a safe country where crime rates are low, I feel comfortable wearing my blings. Only when I am travelling to a developing country that I am more cautious and I wear no bling or very tiny ones.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in a relatively small town and originally had a 1 ct. My new diamond (anniversary...same husband!) is 1.6 cts. and I wear it all the time except sleeping and showering. There are some occasions where I kind of turn it around like when holding out my hand to pay for fast food or something! It felt too big to me at the very beginning, but I very quickly got used to it! I wish I lived in a larger city where I could wear a 2 ct. more easily, but I would not feel comfortable with a larger stone where we are.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I wore my original wedding set everywhere, all the time, but the e-ring was only 0.21 ct. I rarely cleaned the diamond, and it didn''t sparkle much. I take my 1.50 ct ring off for housework, camping, showering, sleeping, etc. because I find it much more clunky. It is probably due more to the "heirloom" amount of platinum, than to the diamond size.

I also NEED to keep my large diamond very clean. So I haven''t been taking it on business trips, for both the clunky and the lack of sparkle when dirty reasons. I generally wear my channel set anniversary band instead for just a little bling. And, I worry less about losing that ring, so that is a bonus.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2007 11:10:44 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I live in a relatively small town and originally had a 1 ct. My new diamond (anniversary...same husband!) is 1.6 cts. and I wear it all the time except sleeping and showering. There are some occasions where I kind of turn it around like when holding out my hand to pay for fast food or something! It felt too big to me at the very beginning, but I very quickly got used to it! I wish I lived in a larger city where I could wear a 2 ct. more easily, but I would not feel comfortable with a larger stone where we are.
this was one of my thoughts when deciding to have the rubies put under the band... that way if I felt like I needed to turn the ring around it still looked like it was a ring! Just a ring with 3 little rubies instead of one big diamond lol

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
My girlfriend recently told me "I've never seen a large diamond ring that I've liked."
6.gif

That is one reason why I stayed at .75ct.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My stone is pretty large and there have been a few times I have been uncomfortable. I can deal with something pretty large though. I do wear mine most of the time, just occasionally do I feel a bit funny or that it might not be appropriate to wear.

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
I like the spread of 1.25 ideal cuts.

I saw an 18carat diamond once, it was rbc, eye clean and around G. It was the ugliest clean diamond I have ever seen.

my point is, at a certain point a stone is too big to wear. I think up to 3 is safe.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I think I would feel self conscious with anything over 2 ct. Given my simple pverall style, people would probably think it was fake!

3hearts

Shiny_Rock
I wear my 2.5 carat everyday and everywhere. The only time I take it off is when I get home or when I know I will be handling something that will bang up it up. Since I''m rough with my hands, I had my diamond bezel set. I still freak out when I wack my ring on something though...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2007 12:18:40 AM
Author: gailrmv
I think I would feel self conscious with anything over 2 ct. Given my simple pverall style, people would probably think it was fake!
I kinda hope people will think mine is fake lol At least anyone who might think of mugging me!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear my 1.72 diamond everywhere and all the time except in the shower, working out (hasn''t happened a lot lately haha), and traveling out of the country. I have turned my ring around though if I feel uncomfortable (at DH''s rentals for ex.). Then it just looks like a plain band.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
My center stone is 2.36, and wear it everywhere. At home I take it off. Truth be told, I don''t love wearing rings all the time, too confining. What would scare me would be like a 4 carat stone. But my hands are so tiny, I could never carry it off, so don''t have to worry about it, LOL!!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well... it would depend on the ring. If it were comfortable solitare or threestone ... I think I could wear up to 3 carat in a cushion or asscher or EC... max 2.5 carat oval or round.

Beyond that... I would need a nice eternity band for everyday wear.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results