shape
carat
color
clarity

What should the price difference be for these two diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend and I were looking at two diamonds. I asked the fair value of another "diamond expert" online and was told there was a large disparity in value between the two (at least $1800-$1900). He said that he could explain why.

Then, I started reading here and the "diamond expert" is mentioned in a poor light so I decided to ask you all, what is the real price difference between these two diamonds? :confused: Also, what is a fair price for each?

The diamonds are both are GIA certed, ex polish and ex symmetry, no flour

.92ct G VVS2 Scored .9 on the HCA ; AGA 1A on all parameters but crown angle, pavilion depth, and girdle (1.5%) which are AGA 1B but all are on the cusp of 1A

.90ct D VS2 Scored 1.3 on the HCA ; AGA 1A on all parameters but girdle which is AGA 2A (1.4%)

If you need the actual diamond specs to give an opinion, I can give them also. Another bit of information, the D VS2 is a branded Lazar Kaplan diamond (if that makes any difference) whereas the G VVS2 was not branded.

Just to let you know, we went with the Lazar for three reasons (price not one of them because it was about $600 more than the other)1.We like the D color, 2.Two of my family members previously bought from this jeweler and 3.We liked the jewelers settings better.

Thanks for any help. This diamond stuff is confusing.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Expect to pay 5% more for DVS2 than GVVS2.
If you were ever reselling then LK is a well established brand.

The liquidity of the D VS2 would be likely to be greater in years to come in my opinion. I believe high clarity will become less valued in another generation. (opinion, not fact).

You feel comfortable with your choice, so that is important.

The small diference in HCA is not worth worrying about :)

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. The difference in price you quoted is more in line with what I expected. Unfortunately, we paid 10% more for the LK. :((

Now for a few more questions that hopefully you can help with.

1. What would the cut be for each of the diamonds? Are they both 1As? or is one a 1B and the other a 2A because the worst parameter is in that category? Does this affect the value/price paid?

2. Does the HCA of 0.9 mean more fire and the 1.3 mean more brilliance? Is there an optical difference to the human eye?

3. Finally, how bad is it to have a girdle thickness of 1.4%? We are having it set in a platinum six-prong head. Hopefully that will protect it more.

Thanks again for all your help.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2002 9:33:43 AM

Thanks. The difference in price you quoted is more in line with what I expected. Unfortunately, we paid 10% more for the LK. :((

----------------

I would also suspect that the extra 5% may be for the name L.K. They flat out are more expensive than comparable stones w/o the brand.

I'll defer to others regarding the other questions.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
That probably explains the extra cost difference.

Can any experts answer the other questions? Thanks again.:))

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi Diamondnovice,

----------------
1. What would the cut be for each of the diamonds? Are they both 1As? or is one a 1B and the other a 2A because the worst parameter is in that category? Does this affect the value/price paid?
----------------

To answer this question we need you to post more data: table, crown and pavilion angles, etc.

----------------
2. Does the HCA of 0.9 mean more fire and the 1.3 mean more brilliance? Is there an optical difference to the human eye?
----------------

No it doesn’t. As you can find out on HCA page “A score below 2 (Excellent) means you have eliminated known poor performers (more than 95% of all diamonds). Your own personal preference may be for a diamond with an HCA score of 1.5 more rather than one with a lower score of say 0.5.”

----------------
3. Finally, how bad is it to have a girdle thickness of 1.4%? We are having it set in a platinum six-prong head. Hopefully that will protect it more.
----------------

1.4% girdle is just fine.

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Here are the actual diamond specs

Lazar D VS2
Table % 55.3, Crown ang 34.7, Pav ang 40.9, Pav depth 43.2%, girdle thickness 1.4%, Total Depth 60.8%, Diameter range 6.24-6.30, Pol and Sym excellent, Flour none

G VVS2
Table % 56.4, Crown ang 34.2, Pav Ang 40.8, Pav depth 42.7%, girdle thickness 1.5%, Total Depth 60.9%, Daimeter range 6.30-6.32, Pol and Sym excellent, Flour none

All but the girdle thickness for the Lazar are in the 1A range and all but three of the G VVS2 are in the 1A range.

So, based on these specs, what would each be classified as?

Thanks!!

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Cut Nut for all your help.

Just to prove that it is a small world, I have been doing more fishing around on this website and found the appraiser section. I discovered Dave Atlas' (aka oldminer) developed the AGA standards chart (1A, 1B, etc). Coincidentally, when we looked at the Lazare diamond we are getting (from a jeweler on Jeweler's Row in Philly), we were told that based on the Sarin report it was a 1A. Since 1A is an AGA convention, is it possible that oldminer's shop conducted the Sarin?

cmnapoli

Rough_Rock
How did you get all that HCA info. I live in NY and can't seem to find anyone willing to give me any certs, but GIA on emerald cut diamonds?

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
The HCAs that I quoted are from running the cut advisor on this website. Both diamonds I looked at had either a Sarin or Megascope so I knew the diamond parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results