shape
carat
color
clarity

What should I do with this?

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Fairly new to PS and have basically tried to stick to learning about diamonds and settings. Then I discovered colored stones! I have an old(30-40 years old) gifted ring from a family member. Thought it was a big blob of gold with some really bad OEC’s and a pearl. Didn’t think anything of the pearl because the rest of the ring is a disaster. It could probably qualify for worst ring of the week on PS if there was a category. Was going to scrap for gold. Brought it to a jeweler the other day while I was looking at colored stones and while he agreed with me about the ring being a disaster he immediately said the pearl was from Lake Biwa. This is a very reputable independent jeweler. Ventured over to this forum to get ideas. Oh my-I had no idea pearls could be so colorful. I could seriously become lost in this forum. Anyway the size on it is about ¾ inch by ¼ inch. Thinking of getting it set into a pendant. Have no idea what to do with it. Nothing modern. Simple or vintage is more my style. Could add a small diamond or gemstone to it, but really I have no idea what to do with it. Any ideas welcome. Thanks
biwa.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
the gold across the top may be hiding a serious discoloration/flaw on the pearl.
having said that, I'd probably just cut the side stones and band off and leave it "as is" for either a pendant or a pin.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It looks like you might have the makings for a nice pearl pendant. I don't care for the band of gold across the pearl. I'd have your jeweler take the ring apart to make sure that the gold isn't hiding a flaw in the pearl. If it is a good pearl, go for it, but keep it simple.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
No flaw. The gold across the top does not touch the pearl.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I have a pearl just like that in a ring I had made in the mid 1970's. It is a Lake Biwa pearl as well. Not sure of the $$$ value for the pearl but that ring was been worn every day for years and years and years. The pearl is just as beautiful today as the day I got it. The luster is something else. I am lucky I still love the setting.

Your pearl would look lovely as a pendent. Have fun designing something you will love and wear.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Maybe a pin, but I would be more likely to wear a pendant. The ring is very heavy from the gold, the diamonds are a mess-very irregular,included and zero sparkle. The heavy gold just distracts from the beauty of the pearl. Whatever I get for the gold I will use to help set the pearl. no sentiment in the setting and the $$$ value who knows. But I think it's cool I can keep something from a family member from the past. The OEC's I will keep as a what not to buy. They had belonged to my great aunt.

ltlmsmfft

Shiny_Rock
You could always have it side drilled and put on a high quality gold chain. Positioning as more of a horizontal bar on a chain would give it a more modern look.

patricias

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Don't drill the pearl. Drilling a hole in the pearl, which is probably fairly flat, will create a weak spot in an already soft material. The pearl will probably break at this point (I've drilled lots of pearls and have ruined some in the process). A custom-made 18k yellow gold, or sterling silver bezel would look sharp and provide some protection for the pearl.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It may or may not be a lake Biwa pearl. The name was slapped on to every stick pearl at one time and your jeweller , reputable as he is, may just be using the description in that sense. I have some pearls from Biwa now and they are very white little nuggets. The colour should be natural white and the surface lustrous and smooth or at least smooth-ish.
Of course it can be drilled - most stick pearls are full drilled, not just half drilled. But if it is very thin you will need to find someone who knows how to drill pearls and has a pearl drill. (I've got paper thin keishi petal strands in stock which are full drilled and when I look at them I salute the driller, no way I could drill that accurately)

pkinnew

Brilliant_Rock
slc4 - I think it would make a very unique and lovely enhancer. If you wear a lot of gold it would be nice to keep a gold border around it, if not you could keep it simple and just have an enhancer bail added to the pearl. I like enhancers lately more than pendants because I can wear them with a chain or a strand of pearls. I can't help you with whether it's a Biwa or not - sorry. Congratulations!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would turn it into a drop pendant with a carved silver cap on the pearl and one or two additional round or baroque pearls on top.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
@baby monster-I love that idea. Being in the Bay Area I have access to some pearl experts and will probably make an appointment with one (Kojima)to get a design idea and some pearls to compliment it and have them make a pendant. Value-didn't really expect anything but if I can preserve the pearl from a relative and create something new with it and enjoy it-well that's a good thing. I don't have any pearls in my wardrobe so this is a good place to start. I'm sure if I go out to the boxes in my garage I might be able to find the original receipt that went along with this. My family keeps everything. Of course it might not mean anything. That's OK. Thanks for all your help.

4Ranch Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Going to see Sarah at Kojima would be perfect. She would be able to tell you if it is Lake Biwa if anyone can. She also could design and make something you would love too. I am a big fan of Sarah. You might need to wait a week or two before she is back in the country because she was on her way to HongKong yesterday.

LitGeek

Brilliant_Rock
I am a fan of Sarah's work too! She is such an incredibly talented designer! I would definitely wait and take it to her when she gets back from her trip. How fabulous that you will have such a special pendant with a mix of the old and new :appl: :appl: :appl:

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
What are you going to do with the setting? US gold buyers buy old gold and give quotes daily what the current payout for the karat you are selling. I've used them many times and haven't found anyone who beats their payout. I just sent them a pile of broken, old styles I've grown tired of yesterday. They will be calling Monday with the quote. You ring looks pretty heavy, maybe enough gold there to pay for you new setting.

4_cs

Shiny_Rock
Setting will be scrapped. It weighs about 10 grams and is 14 kt gold, so even if it funds a small portion of a new setting I'll be happy. Better then sitting in the jewelry box. Thanks for the tip.The diamonds are bad-really bad. I have a friend who made artwork out of all the old jewelry (mostly costume) from her family. Actually was pretty cool and it gave her a way to remember her long lost relatives. It was shaped like a Christmas tree so it only comes out once a year but I thought it was a cool idea.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results