shape
carat
color
clarity

What shape looks biggest???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Any consensus on which shaped (cut) of a single diamond (per same carat weight) looks BIGGEST in a simple setting?

Thanks!

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
marquise and pears

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately neither strikes my "fancy". :) What are the 3rd and 4th in ranking? Thanks@!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oval is up there. Then probably rounds.

Anne

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
ooohh, ovals! i have a 25 point round, a 28 point oval and a 29 point marquise. guess whick looks biggest? the oval !

Oval gets my vote.

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
My favorite is the emerald (not asscher), what ranking does it receive?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think ovals or rounds...

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 6:29:27 PM
Author: zhuzhu
Sorry, ECs do not face up big for their weight
7.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 6:29:27 PM
Author: zhuzhu
I wouldn''t rank it very high in the "looks big" category - but there are other factors to consider. If you like emeralds, get an emerald. If you want it to look huge then get an oval or marquise. To *some* extent its all negligible anyway - just get the shape you enjoy.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
ECs, asschers, and cushions *generally* look small for their weight. There are exceptions though, but in general, this applies.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m saying what everyone else is at this point...but ovals, pears, mq tend to look large as long as they are cut not too deep. Rounds look bigger than princesses, asschers, etc. In general though, a lot is determined by the depth of the stone and the girdle thickness. For example my radiant has a depth of 60% and a thin girdle and it looks much larger than *most* rounds of the same carat weight while the average radiant with a 70% depth looks much smaller than the typical round of the same carat weight.

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Hi zhuzhu - you may have seen this before but here is a size comparison chart: http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/actual-diamond-size.pdf

To those who say ovals look the largest....is this due to an optical illusion? Looking at the chart above, it almost looks like the princess looks larger than a round! (In general, the square shapes look larger than the round ones.) Is it different in real life?

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 8:22:45 PM
Author: kcoursolle
I''m saying what everyone else is at this point...but ovals, pears, mq tend to look large as long as they are cut not too deep. Rounds look bigger than princesses, asschers, etc. In general though, a lot is determined by the depth of the stone and the girdle thickness. For example my radiant has a depth of 60% and a thin girdle and it looks much larger than *most* rounds of the same carat weight while the average radiant with a 70% depth looks much smaller than the typical round of the same carat weight.
ditto

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 9:01:07 AM
Author: JenStone
Hi zhuzhu - you may have seen this before but here is a size comparison chart: http://images.amazon.com/media/i3d/01/actual-diamond-size.pdf

To those who say ovals look the largest....is this due to an optical illusion? Looking at the chart above, it almost looks like the princess looks larger than a round! (In general, the square shapes look larger than the round ones.) Is it different in real life?

I don''t think that chart is realistic for the fancy shapes. For example, it says a 1c cushion is 5.5mm. Mine is only .81 and measures 5.94 x. 5.16. So I think it''s best just for a reference for size, but I don''t that it isn''t too accurate for most shapes. If you see IRL a princess and a round of the same carat weight the round always looks bigger to me. And ovals always look bigger IRL too, but this chart doesn''t reflect that...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/3/2007 6:16:17 PM
Author: ladykemma
marquise and pears

Agreed! Both my mom and MIL MQs (1.2-1.4) look as large as my 1.72 EC (IMHO)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 1:02:04 PM
Author: neatfreak

I don''t think that chart is realistic for the fancy shapes. For example, it says a 1c cushion is 5.5mm. Mine is only .81 and measures 5.94 x. 5.16. So I think it''s best just for a reference for size, but I don''t that it isn''t too accurate for most shapes. If you see IRL a princess and a round of the same carat weight the round always looks bigger to me. And ovals always look bigger IRL too, but this chart doesn''t reflect that...
actually if you take the average of your length and width it comes to 5.55 LOL I don''t know why it assumes that cushions are square and radiants are long... but whatever! I used the emerald outline and mine was basically spot on for size.

One of the reasons that marquise and ovals look large for their weight is because they can be relatively shallow cuts.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 5:07:09 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

actually if you take the average of your length and width it comes to 5.55 LOL I don''t know why it assumes that cushions are square and radiants are long... but whatever! I used the emerald outline and mine was basically spot on for size.

One of the reasons that marquise and ovals look large for their weight is because they can be relatively shallow cuts.

Cehra, you are totally right if you average them it comes to 5.5. BUT my cushion is a .81, which is 19 points away from a carat and according to the chart a CARAT should be 5.5. Weird huh? I just think that some shapes are misrepresented, which is why princesses look bigger than ovals on the chart but not in real life.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock

I don't think that chart is realistic for the fancy shapes. For example, it says a 1c cushion is 5.5mm. Mine is only .81 and measures 5.94 x. 5.16. So I think it's best just for a reference for size, but I don't that it isn't too accurate for most shapes. If you see IRL a princess and a round of the same carat weight the round always looks bigger to me. And ovals always look bigger IRL too, but this chart doesn't reflect that...
Correct. Cut - not carat weight - determines spread, especially with fancy shapes. For example, a PS search for 1.5 princess cuts today turns up avg face-up spreads from 6.20 all the way up to 6.77, and the most 'square' candidates at that weight are in the 6.40 range. Of course that could change tomorrow. There is more variation as size increases.

Use the spread information on that chart when making comparisons. Don't assume the carat weight will match.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results