shape
carat
color
clarity

What setting do I have

Kanga

Rough_Rock
Hi again,
I posted a question yesterday asking if I could put a larger diamond in an already existing tension setting. However, after some more research, I'm wondering if my e-ring is actually a trellis setting. My husband purposed 12 years ago and we were young and dumb regarding diamonds and settings. I remember hearing it was a tension setting, but now I'm confused. Can someone please look at my photo and provide your opinion? If it is a trellis, can I still put a larger diamond in. There was a .63 princess in the setting and I was hoping to get to .9.
Thank you!!!

_2712.jpeg

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You can't put a bigger diamond in that setting. You'll need a new setting.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's not a tension setting. But I agree with Tourmaline: it's not going to accommodate a larger stone either.

Kanga

Rough_Rock
Got it. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. Another "dumb" question. All measurements the same, is there a visual difference between a .63 and .70 princess cut?

Thank you!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends. Carat is weight. Like people, some diamonds will carry their weight differently than others. A 0.63 could be wide and shallow or it could be deep and tall. For questions like that it helps to look at the mm size of the diamonds you're comparing rather than their weight.

Kanga

Rough_Rock
Rhea|1459440983|4013736 said:
It depends. Carat is weight. Like people, some diamonds will carry their weight differently than others. A 0.63 could be wide and shallow or it could be deep and tall. For questions like that it helps to look at the mm size of the diamonds you're comparing rather than their weight.

Got it. Thank you so much!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a new stone to fit that setting, you need to know the exact dimensions of the stone that is in it now and match that.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1459440983|4013736 said:

True, but there's not much tolerance in any part of that head. Unless most of the increased size is in the crown, it's not likely that setting would be able to accommodate a stone that's 30% or so larger.

Still, if you already have the new diamond, it would be worth asking your jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results