shape
carat
color
clarity

What series of books do you love?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
Italia''s thread has me jonesin for a new series to read. I love reading books that follow a character/characters.

Ones I''ve read that I''ve absolutely loved:
1. Stephen King: The Dark Tower (seriously, if anyone else has read this, let me know, I''m still dying to talk to someone about it years later and dh never made it past book 3).
2. Janet Evanovich: The Stephanie Plum novels (I''m not a fan of her other characters, but I''ve read them too).
3. Harry Potter.
4. Michael Connely: The Harry Bosch detective novels.
5. Patricia Cornwell: Kay Scarpetta books.

Others I''ve read and enjoyed:
6. James Patterson: Both the Alex Cross books and the Women''s Murder Club books.
7. Twilight books.
8. The Shopaholic books.

So what series have you read and enjoyed?

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, I love the Harry Bosch books, too! A friend''s husband gave his set to me (we share a love of detective fiction), and then I passed them along to my sister and got her hooked, too.

I''m also addicted to John Sandford''s Lucas Davenport books and his Virgil Flowers books. If I could find more than one of his Kidd novels at my library, I think I''d be addicted to those too.

Other series I like:

1. Harry Potter
2. Horatio Hornblower
3. Master and Commander
4. Trollope''s Barsetshire Chronicles

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

Review of book 1-From Publishers Weekly
Absorbing and heartwarming, this first novel lavishly evokes the land and lore of Scotland, quickening both with realistic characters and a feisty, likable heroine. English nurse Claire Beauchamp Randall and husband Frank take a second honeymoon in the Scottish Highlands in 1945. When Claire walks through a cleft stone in an ancient henge, she's somehow transported to 1743. She encounters Frank's evil ancestor, British captain Jonathan "Black Jack" Randall, and is adopted by another clan. Claire nurses young soldier James Fraser, a gallant, merry redhead, and the two begin a romance, seeing each other through many perilous, swashbuckling adventures involving Black Jack. Scenes of the Highlanders' daily life blend poignant emotions with Scottish wit and humor. Eventually Sassenach (outlander) Claire finds a chance to return to 1945, and must choose between distant memories of Frnak and her happy, uncomplicated existence with Jamie. Claire's resourcefulness and intelligent sensitivity make the love-conquers-all, happily-ever-after ending seem a just reward.

The subsequent books follow the lives of Claire, Jamie, Frank, and Claire/Jamie's daughter from 1945/1743--1978/1776.

Harry Potter series
Black Dagger brotherhood
Fae series by Karen Marie Moning
Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt series
Anything by Jack DuBrul
Anything by Dan Brown
Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston Prendergast series
Anything by James Rollins

I really get into Archaeological/historical fiction and books about vampires and other mythical beings.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really read series books that often, but last month, I plowed through the Mitford Series by Jan Karon and (for the most part) loved them.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Series are hard to think of off the top of my head but authors that I love:

Jodi Picoult (not series but great books nonetheless)
Alice Sebold (The Lovely Bones is my favorite of hers...great book!)
Isabel Allende
Jane Austen
Patricia Cornwall (Scarpetta series)
I love contemp Irish/Brit fiction authors:
Maeve Binchy (Most notable book, Circle of Friends, but I love all of her stuff)
Marian Keyes
Helen Fielding
List goes on and on...
I''ve just noticed most of my favorite books are written by women. I usually love to read books where the protag is a woman too. Hmmmmm.

Young Adult:
Anne of Green Gables Series (Already posted this one in the Italia''s thread) by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Chronicles of Narnia - CS Lewis (another fave)
Flowers in the Attic and much of what was the original VC Andrews
Babysitters Club, Ann M. Martin - OMG...I was addicted!
Goosebumps, R.L. Stine - anyone remember those?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOTS of them.

1. Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (dying for the last book to come out).
2. Terry Pratchett Discworld
3. Swan series by Celeste de Blasis
4. Fallen Angels series by Mary Jo Putney
5. Black Jewels by Anne Bishop

I know there are like like 100 more that I love. Will list more when I think of them.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In Death series by J.D. Robb
Harry Potter

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:53:53 PM
Author: Bia

Isabel Allende
Jane Austen
Maeve Binchy (Most notable book, Circle of Friends, but I love all of her stuff)
Marian Keyes
Helen Fielding
List goes on and on...
I''ve just noticed most of my favorite books are written by women. I usually love to read books where the protag is a woman too. Hmmmmm.

Young Adult:
Anne of Green Gables Series (Already posted this one in the Italia''s thread) by Lucy Maud Montgomery
Bia, we should raid each other''s libraries! To add the the young adult, I also read all of the Sweet Valley High and Sleepover Friends books in grade school.

I love: Harry Potter, Marian Keyes (the sisters series), and the Emily Giffin "Something Borrowed/Blue/etc." series for light reading.

I also like Malcolm Gladwell books (Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers).

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:30:08 PM
Author: sammyj
Date: 4/15/2009 4:53:53 PM

Isabel Allende

Jane Austen

Marian Keyes

Helen Fielding

List goes on and on...

Young Adult:

Bia, we should raid each other''s libraries! To add the the young adult, I also read all of the Sweet Valley High and Sleepover Friends books in grade school.

I love: Harry Potter, Marian Keyes (the sisters series), and the Emily Giffin ''Something Borrowed/Blue/etc.'' series for light reading.

I also like Malcolm Gladwell books (Tipping Point, Blink, Outliers).
Hey, you''re Canadian. Isn''t Anne Shirley like National Hero status or something? I know she''s fictional but still...that series still rocks my dome.

And yes, I loved Sweet Valley High too!

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I was a big Stephen King fan when I was in my teens and twenties and read pretty much everything including the Dark Tower, but sadly I''ve read so much that I can''t remember a lot about those particular book.

I''m just making my way through the Twilight series just now and really enjoying them. I do love vampire books and have read all the Anita Blake, Meredith Gentry books and of course the Sookie Stackhouse paperbacks. Soooo love True Blood and can''t wait til the second series starts in June.

Have read all the Harry Potters too.

I have notions for books and don''t always follow the same path cos sometimes I enjoy autobiographies other times its crime stories, I love David Baldachi but its whatever tickles my pickle in the bookshop that does it for me, or a recommendation.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I loved the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books when I was younger!
9.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:13:18 PM
Author:Sabine
Italia''s thread has me jonesin for a new series to read. I love reading books that follow a character/characters.

Ones I''ve read that I''ve absolutely loved:
1. Stephen King: The Dark Tower (seriously, if anyone else has read this, let me know, I''m still dying to talk to someone about it years later and dh never made it past book 3).
2. Janet Evanovich: The Stephanie Plum novels (I''m not a fan of her other characters, but I''ve read them too).
3. Harry Potter.
4. Michael Connely: The Harry Bosch detective novels.
5. Patricia Cornwell: Kay Scarpetta books.

Others I''ve read and enjoyed:
6. James Patterson: Both the Alex Cross books and the Women''s Murder Club books.
7. Twilight books.
8. The Shopaholic books.

So what series have you read and enjoyed?
Sabine- I started the Dark Tower series when I was a teenager. I''m in my 30''s and read the seventh one last year. I never thought he''d finally finish them!! Some of the most amazing books I''ve read in the genre (which is totally unlike King''s ever done.) The last two took very odd turns and I''m still not sure how i feel about them.

Others are the Imajica series by Clive Barker. Loved them. He also stepped out of his comfort zone when he wrote those books.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
I love HP, The Chronicles of Narnia and Nancy Drew. I''m all about the "young adult" section.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:17:27 PM
Author: Clio
OMG, I love the Harry Bosch books, too! A friend''s husband gave his set to me (we share a love of detective fiction), and then I passed them along to my sister and got her hooked, too.

I''m also addicted to John Sandford''s Lucas Davenport books and his Virgil Flowers books. If I could find more than one of his Kidd novels at my library, I think I''d be addicted to those too.

Other series I like:

1. Harry Potter

2. Horatio Hornblower

3. Master and Commander

4. Trollope''s Barsetshire Chronicles

Clio, I love Horatio Hornblower and Master and Commander as well! Between my husband and I, we''ve got at least two copies of most of the books in both series.

I also adore Outlander and Harry Potter.

I just finished the most recent No. 1 Ladies'' Detective Agency book, Miracle at Speedy Motors. Caught the first HBO episode of the series, and thought they did a FANFREAKINGTASTIC job of adapting it.

I was a huge Little House, Margeurite Henry horse books, and Black Stallion series fan as a kid. Would still re-read all of them as an adult, too.

LifeinPasoLargo

Rough_Rock
Trade
Twilight. Plain and simple. I just finished Breaking Dawn early this morning/late last night.

The last major series was the Calder Saga by Janet Dailey.

Other than that I''ve read the Harry Potter series, and love anything from the Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb series.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sabine -- I also like following characters and their stories in book series. Here are the ones that come to mind quickly:

1. Tony Hillerman's Southwest mysteries featuring Jim Chee and Joe Leaphorn (I'm so sorry the series has come to an end
39.gif
)
2. PD James' Adam Dagliesh books -- these are mysteries to savor.
3. The Mitford and
4. no. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series.
5. Debbie McComber's Blossom Street yarns and
6. Sophie Kinsella's non-shopaholic books (fun fantasy).
7. Benni Harper mysteries (by Erlene Fowler),
8. Sharon McCone mysteries (Marcia Muller),
9. Squeaky Pie Brown mysteries (Rita Mae Brown) -- all lite bites and somewhat inconsistent, but fun.
10. Lisa Scotoline's Philadelphia-based legal thrillers.
11. John Dunning's book collector stories.

12. And, in the interest of honesty and full disclosure, I've read every one (and enjoyed most) of Lillian Jackson Braun's "the cat who..." series
3.gif
, which is also near its end...

daydreamer

Rough_Rock
I like fantasy and science fiction. My favorites have been:

1. The Mists of Avalon and the the other Avalon books by Marion Zimmer Bradley
2. Anne Rice's Vampire series books
3. The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (this is young adult)
4. The Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:48:38 PM
Author: Selkie

Clio, I love Horatio Hornblower and Master and Commander as well! Between my husband and I, we''ve got at least two copies of most of the books in both series.

A friend of mine (the same one whose husband shares my love of detective fiction) got me hooked on them! She loves sea stories of any kind.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was on a Laurel K. Hamilton kick there for a while. Vampires and sex; what more could you ask for?!
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Discworld. Love it.

Harry Potter.

I also loved the Brother Cadfael series by Ellis Peters (sadly most are out of print now
7.gif

Foundation and Robot series (Isaac Asimov)

There are more. Just blanking right now.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, lots of similar taste here! I still love the young adult books-Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, (tried to get the full series of ebay of both those and boooy are they expensive!) Sweet Valley, RL Stine.

Dragonlance, Forgotten Realms, Piers Anthony''s Adept series, Sue Grafton''s Alphabet series, James Patterson, John Sanford (ohh how I love Lucas Davenport), Robert B. Parker (Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone novels), Ed McBain (Matthew Hope books), Mary Higgins Clark, Dark Tower series..I''m also unsure how I felt about the last book or 2..especially the ending.

There''s a couple I only read 1 book, and I don''t recall who they were by..one was about a woman who was a Vampire queen but didn''t want to be..she just wanted to buy shoes-it was hysterical. Undead something.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Twilight must be my favorite series of books...I don''t think I''ve ever been as in love with a cast of characters as I am with the cast in these books.

James Patterson Women''s Murder Club was a good series when he was cranking them out like bananas...but then he put all his focus when it came to these woman into that TV show and it just murdered it for me (no pun intended)

James Patterson Alex Cross books were amazing...until the last one where he is in Africa, I struggled with that book.

I adore Wally Lamb...although he doesn''t write series of books, he creates characters that are earth shattering, and he really does almost create a lifetime in one book for these people.

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:32:40 PM

Hey, you''re Canadian. Isn''t Anne Shirley like National Hero status or something? I know she''s fictional but still...that series still rocks my dome.

Ok...so I had to google Anne Shirley just to make sure you were referring to Anne of Green Gables...can you tell I haven''t read the books?!!?!? I know she''s much popular out east (e.g. Nova Scotia, PEI), and I''m pretty sure you need to be real to have National Hero status.
3.gif
2.gif

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 6:47:52 PM
Author: daydreamer
I like fantasy and science fiction. My favorites have been:

1. The Mists of Avalon and the the other Avalon books by Marion Zimmer Bradley
2. Anne Rice''s Vampire series books
3. The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (this is young adult)
4. The Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin
I''ve heard these books are fabulous, with a great lesson for young adults to boot!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I googled books like Janet Evanovich, and the other author I couldn''t remember is Jennifer Crusie. The other is the Undead series my Mary Janice Davidson-I read book 2 Undead and Unemployed. Amazing what google can give a person when you can''t remember things!

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 8:29:40 PM
Author: sammyj
Date: 4/15/2009 5:32:40 PM

Ok...so I had to google Anne Shirley just to make sure you were referring to Anne of Green Gables...can you tell I haven''t read the books?!!?!? I know she''s much popular out east (e.g. Nova Scotia, PEI), and I''m pretty sure you need to be real to have National Hero status.
3.gif
2.gif

hehehehe

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
My favorite series ever was the Big Stone Gap series by Adriana Trigiani. I''ll read anything she writes... love her.
Harry Potter, Twilight, Dan Brown, um... Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb writes trilogies I like... Diana Gabaldon''s Outlander series... etc. etc...
I LOVE to read!

April20

Ideal_Rock
Diana Gabaldon's Outlander Series
Dennis Lehane's Patrick Kenzie series (though I love his other stuff too)
Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series
Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series
John Sandford's Prey books
Margaret Maron's Deborah Knott series. Just discovered this one last year and really like it.

I'm sure there are others I'll remember later and kick myself for forgetting right now. I love to read and always love to find a new series to enjoy.

**Edited to add: Karin Slaughter! How could I forget that one! Her Sarah Linton series is one I love, though I didn't so much like how the last one ended and the direction it will steer the series.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonavich.

I really love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Everyone I''ve recommended those to has loved them! I haven''t seen True Blood though . . . no HBO
7.gif

For those that have read Twilight - have you read the Host? I LOVED it! I was so sad when it was over. I adored that cast of characters. I''d like to see a sequel if possible. I''d also like to see the Twilight series extended with Alice as the main charater. She was by far my FAV!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I''m in the midst of reading John Updikes'' Rabbit series. Four books, four decades, same man/family. They are fantastic and such an interesting perspective on US History from the 60s/70s/80s/90s. I''m about 50 pages into the third book and always looking forward to reading more.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results