shape
carat
color
clarity

What series of books do you love?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
OMG- So many! Off the top of my head...
1. Harry Potter
2. Dragon Lance (I''m SUCH a nerd!!)
3. Lord of the Rings
4. The Belgariad (David Eddings)
5. Clan of the Cave Bear and the subsequent sequels...

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Ohhh i love this thread!!

Ok, so as a pre-teen i had a big thing for sweet valley university - though in hindsight they were a bit risque, my poor mum obviously never knew
9.gif

And then i positively ADORED the Belgariad and the Mallorean series` by David Eddings, pure fantasy that i still escape into even now. And of course the Narnia series is great!!

I also loved the green gables series.

Hudson hawk you said you liked vampires....have you read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Not a series but a great read for anyone who has a fascination with vampires, and especially if you`ve read Dracula.

I dont read many series` nowadays but ive just been looking up the dark tower series and it sounds very interesting!

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
oooh yes BrownEyed i loved the brother cadfael series too, and i like agatha christie books for a bit of fun, especially hercule poirot!!

Tuckins i see you like eddings too!! Oh my gosh i swoon at the thought of Garion even now!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:13:18 PM
Author:Sabine
Italia''s thread has me jonesin for a new series to read. I love reading books that follow a character/characters.

Ones I''ve read that I''ve absolutely loved:
1. Stephen King: The Dark Tower (seriously, if anyone else has read this, let me know, I''m still dying to talk to someone about it years later and dh never made it past book 3).
2. Janet Evanovich: The Stephanie Plum novels (I''m not a fan of her other characters, but I''ve read them too).
3. Harry Potter.
4. Michael Connely: The Harry Bosch detective novels.
5. Patricia Cornwell: Kay Scarpetta
I love those books! Lula is my favorite character in that series.

I also love Sue Grafton books, A is for Alibi, etc

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:10:01 PM
Author: Tuckins1

1. Harry Potter

2. Dragon Lance (I''m SUCH a nerd!!)

3. Lord of the Rings

Tuckins, you can''t be a nerd b/c then I''M a nerd too!!! My husband teased me for years that I wanted to marry Tanis and live in a giant mushroom. Some friends of my cousin named their son Raistlin.

I''ve read most of The Belgariad too, tho it''s been a few years and I should start from the beginning and actually finish them this time!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 9:11:54 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
I like the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonavich.

I really love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Everyone I''ve recommended those to has loved them! I haven''t seen True Blood though . . . no HBO
7.gif

For those that have read Twilight - have you read the Host? I LOVED it! I was so sad when it was over. I adored that cast of characters. I''d like to see a sequel if possible. I''d also like to see the Twilight series extended with Alice as the main charater. She was by far my FAV!
I love the sookie books too. They''re like candy for the brain. Can''t put them down once you''ve started. Still waiting for the last one to come out in paperback.

BUT, Kim Harrisons " The Hallows" books are better, I swear! The main character Rachel Morgan can kick Sookies butt!
6.gif

Another one is the "Night Watch" series by Sergei Lukyanenko.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Jane Austen (my sexy literature minx)
Harry Potter series
CS Lewis
Tolkien
Twilight series (just got into it)
I loved loved LOVED Goosebumps (RL Stine)
Nancy Drew

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:29:39 PM
Author: packrat
Date: 4/15/2009 10:10:01 PM

1. Harry Potter

2. Dragon Lance (I'm SUCH a nerd!!)

3. Lord of the Rings

Tuckins, you can't be a nerd b/c then I'M a nerd too!!! My husband teased me for years that I wanted to marry Tanis and live in a giant mushroom. Some friends of my cousin named their son Raistlin.

I've read most of The Belgariad too, tho it's been a few years and I should start from the beginning and actually finish them this time!

Wow... Naming your kid Raistlin... Asking for trouble?
11.gif

That kid has a lot to live up to...
BTW- I love Tanis too...

ETA- Love your tat!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:16:15 PM
Author: Blackpaw

Ok, so as a pre-teen i had a big thing for sweet valley university - though in hindsight they were a bit risque, my poor mum obviously never knew
9.gif

And then i positively ADORED the Belgariad and the Mallorean series` by David Eddings, pure fantasy that i still escape into even now. And of course the Narnia series is great!!

Hudson hawk you said you liked vampires....have you read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. Not a series but a great read for anyone who has a fascination with vampires, and especially if you`ve read Dracula.

I dont read many series` nowadays but ive just been looking up the dark tower series and it sounds very interesting!

I haven''t read the Mallorean yet. Hubby just bought it for me- He''s just now reading the Belgariad. Did you read Belgarath the Sorcerer or Polgara the Sorceress? OMG- AWESOME!!!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Bryce Courtenay's "Australia trilogy" - no, I'm not just saying that because I'm aussie - they are
veru well written and alot of fun imho.
A great read for anyone interested in our country, as it's fiction intertwined with some factual history I believe.

Also George Pelecanos' two series with lead characters Nick Stefanos and Derek Strange - awesome crime/thriller books!
Sabine - if you like Patterson, you will like Pelecanos, you should give him a go if you haven't already
5.gif

soocool

Ideal_Rock
This is so different than what all of you are reading, but I love the Dr Oz and Dr Roizen, The Real Age book series. It explains , in a language we can all understand, so much of how your body and mind works and offers so many simple and healthful suggestions to live a happy, healthy, and long life.

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:18:37 PM
Author: Gypsy
LOTS of them.

1. Codex Alera series by Jim Butcher (dying for the last book to come out).
2. Terry Pratchett Discworld
3. Swan series by Celeste de Blasis
4. Fallen Angels series by Mary Jo Putney
5. Black Jewels by Anne Bishop

I know there are like like 100 more that I love. Will list more when I think of them.
OMG I could shoot him for that cliff hanger!!!!!

Some of these have already been mentioned, but here are some of mine:

Vampire/Druid/Fantasy Romance Stuff:

Black Dagger Brotherhood, J.R. Ward
Highland Lover books by Karen Marie Moning
Fae series by Karen Marie Moning
Twilight Series

Fantasty/SciFi:

Valdemar series by Merecedes Lackey (there are something like 30 of these).
Codex Alera by Jim Butcher
Dresden Files by Jim Butcher (I laugh my arse off when I read these).
The Belgariad by David Eddings (there are a ton in the related series books as well).
Anything by Anne MacCaffrey

Lord... I could keep going, LOL.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I love so many of those mentioned above, but one no one has mentioned comes to mind that had me laughing hysterically -

the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
1. Terry Goodkind''s Sword of Truth Series. These are FANTASTIC
2. Twilight Series - I can''t put them down. I''m reading them for the second time. Amazing
3. Harry Potter - have read twice
4. The Lord of the Rings books and anything by Tolkein
5. I''ve only read Mists of Avalon but I loved it and want to read the rest
6. The Black Stallion books
7. The Chronicles of Narnia
8. Redwall

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 10:16:15 PM
Author: Blackpaw

9.gif

Yes, I did read it. I thought it was good, certainly a different take on the story than anything I''ve read before.

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 4:17:30 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

Review of book 1-From Publishers Weekly
Absorbing and heartwarming, this first novel lavishly evokes the land and lore of Scotland, quickening both with realistic characters and a feisty, likable heroine. English nurse Claire Beauchamp Randall and husband Frank take a second honeymoon in the Scottish Highlands in 1945. When Claire walks through a cleft stone in an ancient henge, she''s somehow transported to 1743. She encounters Frank''s evil ancestor, British captain Jonathan ''Black Jack'' Randall, and is adopted by another clan. Claire nurses young soldier James Fraser, a gallant, merry redhead, and the two begin a romance, seeing each other through many perilous, swashbuckling adventures involving Black Jack. Scenes of the Highlanders'' daily life blend poignant emotions with Scottish wit and humor. Eventually Sassenach (outlander) Claire finds a chance to return to 1945, and must choose between distant memories of Frnak and her happy, uncomplicated existence with Jamie. Claire''s resourcefulness and intelligent sensitivity make the love-conquers-all, happily-ever-after ending seem a just reward.

The subsequent books follow the lives of Claire, Jamie, Frank, and Claire/Jamie''s daughter from 1945/1743--1978/1776.

Harry Potter series
Black Dagger brotherhood
Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt series
Anything by Jack DuBrul
Anything by Dan Brown
Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston Prendergast series
Anything by James Rollins

I really get into Archaeological/historical fiction and books about vampires and other mythical beings.

Then you need to try Elizabeth Peters series about Amelia Peabody! Love it.

I''m a big book worm, so I know I won''t remember everything...
Harry Potter series
JD Robb In Death series
Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters
Horatio Hornblower
Janet Evanovich''s Stephanie Plum
Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig
Tess Gerritsen
Peter Tremayne''s Sister Fidelma
Outlander
Black Stallion (read these as a kid, need to reread them)
Anne of Green Gables
Lisa Scottoline

I love historical fiction, mysteries, and adventure. A little romance, too.
emembarrassed.gif

Rock_of_Love

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 6:47:52 PM
Author: daydreamer
I like fantasy and science fiction. My favorites have been:

1. The Mists of Avalon and the the other Avalon books by Marion Zimmer Bradley
2. Anne Rice''s Vampire series books
3. The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (this is young adult)
4. The Earthsea series by Ursula Le Guin
OMG - how did I not know there were others besides Mists...LOVE Mists, I will have to go find these (and, reread Mists!)

Never got in to the Anne Rice Vampire''s, but I LOVED the Witch Weries - The Witching Hour, Lasher, Taltos!!

And, for other Vampires...TOTALLY loving Twilight series - such a fun read. I''m on the third book, woo hoo!

And, blackpaw, also did not know there was a Sweet Vally University! I loved "High" but must''ve moved on by then?
2.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:31:34 AM
Author: Amandine
Date: 4/15/2009 4:17:30 PM

Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon

Review of book 1-From Publishers Weekly

Absorbing and heartwarming, this first novel lavishly evokes the land and lore of Scotland, quickening both with realistic characters and a feisty, likable heroine. English nurse Claire Beauchamp Randall and husband Frank take a second honeymoon in the Scottish Highlands in 1945. When Claire walks through a cleft stone in an ancient henge, she''s somehow transported to 1743. She encounters Frank''s evil ancestor, British captain Jonathan ''Black Jack'' Randall, and is adopted by another clan. Claire nurses young soldier James Fraser, a gallant, merry redhead, and the two begin a romance, seeing each other through many perilous, swashbuckling adventures involving Black Jack. Scenes of the Highlanders'' daily life blend poignant emotions with Scottish wit and humor. Eventually Sassenach (outlander) Claire finds a chance to return to 1945, and must choose between distant memories of Frnak and her happy, uncomplicated existence with Jamie. Claire''s resourcefulness and intelligent sensitivity make the love-conquers-all, happily-ever-after ending seem a just reward.

The subsequent books follow the lives of Claire, Jamie, Frank, and Claire/Jamie''s daughter from 1945/1743--1978/1776.

Harry Potter series

Black Dagger brotherhood

Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Clive Cussler Dirk Pitt series

Anything by Jack DuBrul

Anything by Dan Brown

Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston Prendergast series

Anything by James Rollins

I really get into Archaeological/historical fiction and books about vampires and other mythical beings.

Then you need to try Elizabeth Peters series about Amelia Peabody! Love it.

I''m a big book worm, so I know I won''t remember everything...

Harry Potter series

JD Robb In Death series

Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters

Horatio Hornblower

Janet Evanovich''s Stephanie Plum

Pink Carnation series by Lauren Willig

Tess Gerritsen

Peter Tremayne''s Sister Fidelma

Outlander

Black Stallion (read these as a kid, need to reread them)

Anne of Green Gables

Lisa Scottoline

I love historical fiction, mysteries, and adventure. A little romance, too.
emembarrassed.gif

I''ve tried Peters repeatedly and I just can''t get into them. They''re not action-driven enough to really keep me engrossed. And I''m an Egypt freak, so you''d think I''d eat up anything Egypt-related.

Wilbur Smith is also fantastic. He has two series, one about a family who settles in South Africa and one about Ancient Egypt.

misskitty

Brilliant_Rock
I love Terry Pratchett''s Discworld series! And chalk me up as another Harry Potter and Chronicles of Narnia fan.

I was about to mention Agatha Christie, but I realized that my favorites of hers are the novels that don''t belong in the Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple series - does that still count?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 11:46:46 AM
Author: Rock_of_Love

OMG - how did I not know there were others besides Mists...LOVE Mists, I will have to go find these (and, reread Mists!)

Never got in to the Anne Rice Vampire''s, but I LOVED the Witch Weries - The Witching Hour, Lasher, Taltos!!

And, for other Vampires...TOTALLY loving Twilight series - such a fun read. I''m on the third book, woo hoo!

And, blackpaw, also did not know there was a Sweet Vally University! I loved ''High'' but must''ve moved on by then?
2.gif

Did you ever read the book Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice? It''s a cross over between the vampire chronicles and the With series!! It''s a great book!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 12:06:01 PM

Date: 4/16/2009 11:46:46 AM
Author: Rock_of_Love

And, blackpaw, also did not know there was a Sweet Vally University! I loved ''High'' but must''ve moved on by then?
2.gif

Did you ever read the book Blackwood Farm by Anne Rice? It''s a cross over between the vampire chronicles and the With series!! It''s a great book!
Blackwood Farm was pretty good but there''s a second book, "Blood Canticle." Continues where Blackwood left off. I also like the way she mixed the Wtiching Hour books in.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Sabine!! We have the same series!

I love:

1.) Harry Bosch novels
2.) John Connolly (I think) Charlie Parker- Sabine you''d love these if you liked Bosch and Dark Tower- it''s detective fiction plus metaphysical!
3.) Mary Janice Davidson''s Undead series
4.) Twilight
5.) Harry Potter
6.) All Christopher Moore books, but the ones in Pine Cove especially
7.) The Dresden Novels (Jim Butcher)
8.) The Dark Tower (read them all!)
9.) Anne of Green Gables and on to the very last of the series (there were a LOT!)
10) Patricia Cornwell/ Kay Scarpetta
11.) Iris Johansen''s Eve Duncan novels
12.) The Stephen King "Derry" books, "IT" was centered in Derry, Maine, as was Insomnia, and a bit of Bag of Bones, I think.
13.) Dean Koontz''s Odd Thomas series, utterly fascinating!
14.) Whitney Lyles Bridesmaid series
15.) Shopaholic series
16.) Marian Keyes'' series about the sisters (Watermelon was one of them)

Ah, I love books.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 11:14:14 PM
Author: elle_chris

I really love the Sookie Stackhouse series by Charlaine Harris. Everyone I''ve recommended those to has loved them! I haven''t seen True Blood though . . . no HBO
7.gif

For those that have read Twilight - have you read the Host? I LOVED it! I was so sad when it was over. I adored that cast of characters. I''d like to see a sequel if possible. I''d also like to see the Twilight series extended with Alice as the main charater. She was by far my FAV!
I love the sookie books too. They''re like candy for the brain. Can''t put them down once you''ve started. Still waiting for the last one to come out in paperback.

BUT, Kim Harrisons '' The Hallows'' books are better, I swear! The main character Rachel Morgan can kick Sookies butt!
6.gif

Another one is the ''Night Watch'' series by Sergei Lukyanenko.
From Dead to Worse came out in paperback on March 31st. The newest yet to be released hardback comes out in May - so a long time for that paperback.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 12:45:11 PM

Date: 4/15/2009 11:14:14 PM
Author: elle_chris

7.gif

BUT, Kim Harrisons '' The Hallows'' books are better, I swear! The main character Rachel Morgan can kick Sookies butt!
6.gif

Another one is the ''Night Watch'' series by Sergei Lukyanenko.
From Dead to Worse came out in paperback on March 31st. The newest yet to be released hardback comes out in May - so a long time for that paperback.
Ahh, i was waiting for Dead to Worse. Thought it was this month. hmm.. Thanks for letting me know. Will pick it up.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, I like the Little House on the Prairie books, and I''m rereading 2 of Jeanette Oke''s series.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gecko! I KNOW right!

I LMAO when I read the Dresden books too. I should have added them to my list.

I''ve actually read a lot of the series listed here and liked them... but a lot of the longer running ones, well there have been some duds in the series so I didn''t list them. I really only listed ones that I consider really re-readable keepers.

Iris Johansen''s Wind Dancer series was good.

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock

Hey Hudson Hawk:

I am a HUGE fan of James Rollins and Clive Clusser, if you like these guys you should read some of Mathew Riley''s books. Ice Station, The Seven Deadly Wonders, Six Sacred Stones (these last to are the start of a Trilogy) just to name a few.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:10:17 PM
Author: TBjumper

Hey Hudson Hawk:

I am a HUGE fan of James Rollins and Clive Clusser, if you like these guys you should read some of Mathew Riley''s books. Ice Station, The Seven Deadly Wonders, Six Sacred Stones (these last to are the start of a Trilogy) just to name a few.

Hey TB,
I''ve read a good number of Matthew Riley''s books as well. His can get a little too heavy into fighting and gunfire for my taste, but I''ve loved the story lines behind SDW and SSS.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
1. Harry Potter
2. Jane Austin
3. Oscar Wilde

34.gif

TBjumper

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/16/2009 2:32:53 PM

Date: 4/16/2009 2:10:17 PM
Author: TBjumper

Hey Hudson Hawk:

Hey TB,
I''ve read a good number of Matthew Riley''s books as well. His can get a little too heavy into fighting and gunfire for my taste, but I''ve loved the story lines behind SDW and SSS.

I hear ya, I am just a sucker for the "wow that could really, kinda, maybe, not really” happen theme behind all of his books, fun to think of the possibilities behind unexplained history. But I do agree his books do get a little extreme in the fighting department.

Have you read Rollins’ new one? “Blasphemy” same principle as his other books, just not as predictable...

2.gif

Lincoln Child/Douglas Preston (not sure which one is the author of the pair) has 2 out called The Relic and Reliquary. The book is the one they made the movie out of a long time ago and the second one is a pretty good continuation of the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results