shape
carat
color
clarity

What qualities you strongly like & dislike in people?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
amc80's post in the other thread reminded me of something else I strongly dislike:

Inaccuracy.

When people say things that they are not sure about or don't have enough information on but they state it as fact.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Strongly Like: honesty, loyalty, reliability, kindness, altruistic, gratefulness

Strongly Dislike: rudeness, cruelty, arrogance, misoneism, vengefulness

:wavey:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1454451290|3985825 said:
amc80's post in the other thread reminded me of something else I strongly dislike:

Inaccuracy.

When people say things that they are not sure about or don't have enough information on but they state it as fact.

I hate this too CJ. And lots of people seem to do it LOL. I don't know why some feel they must behave as if they "know it all" except as Bethany from RHONY states "maybe I do know it all".
:lol: :lol: :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby|1454494291|3986089 said:
Strongly Like: honesty, loyalty, reliability, kindness, altruistic, gratefulness

Had to look that word up Rockinruby. Thanks for the vocabulary lesson today. I learned a new word woohoo. I am thankful I do not have to take the SATs anymore. I fear I would not do as well as I did all those decades ago. :oops:

And I sort of have a fear of change but I am working on that. Diligently. Doing my best.
::)

For others who may not know the meaning of the word misoneism:
a hatred, fear, or intolerance of innovation or change

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just want to add that as I get older (and maybe wiser?) the most important quality (to me) in another person is kindness. Genuine and generous kindness. That is the most important quality IMO.

That saying about be kind to whomever you meet because you don't know what battles they are fighting rings very true and that is why at least IMO it is the most important quality. If one has to choose the most important one. There are many other important qualities and we don't exist in a vacuum but if I had to choose just one.

The exact quote by Socrates is “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

So the quality I least like would then be nastiness. If I had to choose just one.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My equivalent of the bolded is that first line of the Great Gatsby, that often springs to my mind, about not judging a person till you've walked a mile in their shoes. Kind of like what I was saying with my "like", about remembering that stuff may be going on with people that you don't know about and giving them the benefit of the doubt - it all adds up to kindness, really.

A further thought about my other like, which is seeing the best in others: I think that this is sometimes really hard to do. Sort of like seeing one tiny shiny diamond among the rocks. You have to really want to see it, and it is a choice. Seeing the best in others came very easily to a dear deceased family member and I really miss that trait in her as I haven't found it in many others. It's so easy to see the bad stuff and put one's own spin on it - maybe due to one's own experiences of the world. Seeing the best in others is also a very generous trait.

One of the good side-effects about trying to do so, is that is makes you feel very peaceful. Suddenly you feel kinder toward the person and you yourself feel calmer and more centered. That's my experience of trying to see the best in others, anyway!

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly admire people who don't live in a sense of victimhood. The older I get the more I realize just how many people really believe that ALL the bad things happened to them.

I admire creatives.

I appreciate people who are able to think outside the box and not just roll with what they were taught. I like people who question authority.

I dislike tattletales. I dislike people who use others to get ahead.

I don't like or trust people who aren't kind to children and animals.

I don't like attention seekers.

I like people with a generous spirit. In my experience the people who have the least always give the most.

I intensely dislike people who are unreasonably picky. If we can't go out for a coffee without 97 things not being up to your standards, I'm going to be looking for the exits.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1454507694|3986131 said:
Just want to add that as I get older (and maybe wiser?) the most important quality (to me) in another person is kindness. Genuine and generous kindness. That is the most important quality IMO.

That saying about be kind to whomever you meet because you don't know what battles they are fighting rings very true and that is why at least IMO it is the most important quality. If one has to choose the most important one. There are many other important qualities and we don't exist in a vacuum but if I had to choose just one.

The exact quote by Socrates is “Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.”

So the quality I least like would then be nastiness. If I had to choose just one.

Missy, so weird I was thinking the same exact thing yesterday. Showing kindness is showing grace. And in a way as I get older it is easier. More years has allowed me to realize that people are going through a lot. They just don't show it to the world. Another quality I found j really appreciate and respect is positivity, which does not come easily or naturally to me. For me, it is an indication that a person is showing hope and it allows people to move forward. Gotta run.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
missy|1454505278|3986114 said:
Rockinruby|1454494291|3986089 said:

Had to look that word up Rockinruby. Thanks for the vocabulary lesson today. I learned a new word woohoo. I am thankful I do not have to take the SATs anymore. I fear I would not do as well as I did all those decades ago. :oops:

And I sort of have a fear of change but I am working on that. Diligently. Doing my best.
::)

For others who may not know the meaning of the word misoneism:
a hatred, fear, or intolerance of innovation or change

Too funny! I had to look up "humble-braggers" yesterday. :lol: I learned a new term thanks to Telephone! :clap:

I have a fear of change sometimes too. I think that it is probably healthy to have some fear and be cautious of new things at times.

However, I was mainly thinking of people who are so stuck in the old ways of doing things and hate any new ideas. People who are unwilling to even listen or be open minded enough to learn about a new thought or way of doing something.

It was on my mind because there is a lady at training class who is very cruel to her pup. :angryfire: She's very stuck in her method of training. She can't accept new ideas and hates it when people try to discuss it with her. Her poor pup has to suffer abuse because the lady has an outright hatred of changing the way "things have been done" for years. :confused: Btw, she hasn't been successful with her methods. :wall:

This may not be a great example though. I probably should have said anyone who is cruel to animals.
I dislike people who are unkind to children, animals, elderly or person with a disability.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1454513479|3986196 said:
I intensely dislike people who are unreasonably picky. If we can't go out for a coffee without 97 things not being up to your standards, I'm going to be looking for the exits.

This can be tiring.

The other extreme is also tiring though. People who have no opinions about anything.

"What do you want to eat?"
"Oh, I don't know, whatever you want."

"What would you like to do?"
"Oh, whatever you guys want to do."

"Should we go to x restaurant or y restaurant?"
"Oh, either one is fine with me."

I know they're trying to be easygoing, but...arrgggghhh

It's nice when someone says, "Oh, I'd love some Chinese if you're OK with that." Or, "I haven't tried x restaurant, so I vote for that one."

Have an OPINION! ETA you can still be nice and accommodating if others want to do something else or if you don't have a STRONG opinion on why to x and not y.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results