shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes for a good princess diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

KB88383p

Rough_Rock
I have been reading a lot on these forums and the website in general and I am learning a lot. I am very much a newbie to this whole E-ring thing and I am trying to find the right e-ring. The gf has said that she wants a princess cut, so that makes life easier. I am setting a budget of 16-18K for the ring.

I understand the color, carat and clarity. I am having trouble getting the cut issue down on princess cuts b/c most of the website deals with cut information (table etc) on round diamonds.

My goal is to get the most bang for my buck. Any advice that can be provided would help greatly!

-Kevin

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Kevin!
There is a TON of debate over what makes for a good princess cut right now. Many people will tell you that you can''t judge a princess cut by the numbers. Several people will tell you that, to be sure you''re getting a great cut, you should look for one of the new AGS-0 graded princess cuts. These stones ARE amazing, but they are also $$$. I personally believe you can find stones that are just as good performers as the AGS-0 graded stones if you know what to look for. Because the new AGS grading system just came out a few months ago, there ARE some good stones out there that are not graded by AGS. When looking at princess cut stones, these are MY personal suggestions:

GIA or AGS certified stones (although I would consider an EGL U.S. certificate)
Depth: in the high 60''s to mid 70''s (although there are exceptions)
Table: < or = to the depth in the high 60''s to low 70''s (again, there are exceptions)
Crown: 10% or higher
Pavilion depth: around 60%
Length/Width: 1:1.00 to 1:1.04 (by the time they hit 1:1.05 it looks rectangular to me)
Polish/Symmetry: EX or VG
Girdle: TN, TN-M, M, M-STK, STK, STK-TK

For an EXCELLENT tutorial on princess cuts go to GOG Tutorial.

Hope this helps!
35.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
BTW, what type of setting are you considering? If you let us know we can have a better idea of your budget for your stone. Also, if looking for the biggest "bang for the buck" are you talking about size? If so, I would look at stones that are G-I in color and VS1-SI1 in clarity
1.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey kevin
35.gif
welcome to ps!

fancy cuts aren''t straightforward in their proportions like round stones are, so you won''t find any hard rules on what makes one better than another. that said, you can find some good information at www.gemappraisers.com look under ''old aga cut charts and rules'' and select princess from the drop down menu. use this chart and look for stones wherein all (or at least most) of the parameters fall in the 1a range. also, as of this year, ags began grading princess cuts as ''ideal''. so if you are interested in a pedigree ideal cut princess, you now have that option. you can find a list of ags0 ideal cut princesses at www.craftedbyinfinity.com
of course we will be here to help along the way! best of luck to you.

researcher

Ideal_Rock

KB88383p

Rough_Rock

Thanks so much! I am going to take a look at the tutorial tonight.

In response to your other post, I am looking at simple settings (no side stones). I am thinking just a very simple platinum setting.

Also, best bang for my buck, I am referring to most stunning ring in that range. I am not fixed on any specific size but I was targeting around 2 carats based on the range of estimates from price scope. I know I am not set on any specific size b/c as I have read in pricescope, the magic numbers cost a ton more for very little gained. That said, if I get 1.9 carat diamond that will look twice as good as a 2 carat diamond, I''d take the 1.9 carat. In short, I am going for overall look more so than a specific size; however, I''d like to stay closer to the 2 carat range rather than the 1.5 carat range.

I should add that 16-18 is my range with 18 being more realistic. I''d like to stay under 20K after setting, shipping taxes etc. Bonuses are coming out soon and I don''t want to spend too much of it on the ring.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
If you''re willing to go lower in color and/or clarity, I think the examples I gave you should provide some good options. Let us know if you''re wanting higher color or clarity though
1.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a great link to show off different settings PS members have chosen for their princess cut stones.

KB88383p

Rough_Rock
All of the websites listed above were great. I just finished getting through them and I got exactly what i was looking for, a description of what to look for in a princess cut.

I also used the above links to get an idea of styles. All of the rings were beautiful.

I guess now that I have the working knowledge all of the leg work begins.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
good luck kevin! can''t wait to see what you decide on!

J6OO7

Rough_Rock
For your budget it seems like you should be able to get a nice sized Princess cut. I think if you''re looking for bang for the buck something under 2 cts would be ideal since when you get over the 2 ct mark price per carat seems to jump a little. This diamond is just a little over $18k but is a good cut by looking at the numbers. It''s also nearly square which some people prefer. The color is F which is good because it''s in the colorless range. Here''s the link:

http://www.abazias.com/database/NewDiamondInfo.asp?stock=25742086&flag=ps

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a ton of resources on this thread already.

If there's any use to try an sum them up, I'd look for brilliance (however they want to measure or demonstrate it - as long as there is a way to compare alternatives) and size...

There's room for more than 2 cts in your budget, but size means diameter not carat weight. For the money and weights feasible most stones fall at 7mm. If you compare them this way you will find that there is no straight forward size difference between, say 2 and 2.3 cts stones. Depth, girdle thickness and other cut details 'add' more or less volume and the size of the stones ends up about the same.

This shows on the lab reports, brilliance does not and few sellers show pictures and do cut grading in any way. I'd stick with those who do it.

My 0.2

How about This One ?
3.gif

The poster kid for the setting.... looks allot like 'Moremoremore's' ring. The pictures corresond to THIS.

tmb_big_0654-008.jpg.jpg

tmb_big_0654-011.jpg.jpg

Just a (pleasant)
9.gif
0.2 thought, of course.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2005 7:18:01 AM
Author: valeria101
There's a ton of resources on this thread already.

If there's any use to try an sum them up, I'd look for brilliance (however they want to measure or demonstrate it - as long as there is a way to compare alternatives) and size...

There's room for more than 2 cts in your budget, but size means diameter not carat weight. For the money and weights feasible most stones fall at 7mm. If you compare them this way you will find that there is no straight forward size difference between, say 2 and 2.3 cts stones. Depth, girdle thickness and other cut details 'add' more or less volume and the size of the stones ends up about the same.

This shows on the lab reports, brilliance does not and few sellers show pictures and do cut grading in any way. I'd stick with those who do it.

My 0.2

How about This One ?
3.gif

The poster kid for the setting.... looks allot like 'Moremoremore's' ring. The pictures corresond to THIS.

tmb_big_0654-008.jpg.jpg

tmb_big_0654-011.jpg.jpg

Just a (pleasant)
9.gif
0.2 thought, of course.

Actually, it's my ring you're thinking of, and that is truly my ring/diamond in the WF website photos. Moremoremore has the GORGEOUS
30.gif
three stone cushion
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/27/2005 4:33:59 PM
Author: researcher

Actually, it''s my ring you''re thinking of, and that is truly my ring/diamond in the WF website photos. Moremoremore has the GORGEOUS
30.gif
three stone cushion
9.gif

Arrrgh! And your avatar was plain to see all over the thread! What a beauty you''ve got!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. And no worries! Most people who were around when MMM and I had the same avatar and were both looking at princess cuts seem to confuse us. It''s very flattering as I think MMM has GREAT taste!
9.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Kevin,
Have you narrowed down your search at all? I''d love to know what stones you''re considering!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results