shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes diamond look bigger? High or Low Setting?

Which type of setting makes diamond look bigger?

• High

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Low

Votes: 10 23.8%

• Total voters

aquanaut

Shiny_Rock
I have been reading various threads and it seems that opinions are split.

Does a setting that elevates the diamond AWAY from the finger make it appear bigger? (Tiffany)
Or on the contrary, a setting that pulls the diamond down close as possible to the finger? (a la HW/LM)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't ever purposely set a diamond high because there would be a greater tendency to hit it on things as well as a greater possibility of having a prong pulled loose. I think low to medium is just personal preference. Mine is a little too low, so I'd specify closer to medium the next time.

Sheherizaad

Shiny_Rock
I also took the Goldilocks route ... (not too high, not too low)... Practical and yet complimentary.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
TyTy linked to a thread in which Yssie made a great illustration to go with her explanation of why high settings make the diamond look larger from the top view.

However, lower set diamonds look larger when viewed by the wearer and down her arm, if that makes sense. My original stone was set relatively high, and I always thought it looked so much smaller from my POV when wearing it, and now my upgrade is set lower and I think it looks positively huge from my POV.

The moral of the story? Go with Sheherizaad's Goldilocks compromise--not too high, not too low. I agree that too-high settings are an unnecessary risk, anyway. I personally prefer a lower-set diamond, but that's just me.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
This is a great thread. I should post some pics of my lower set ring to show how it does look larger I think. However, I see how it could also look larger from certain viewing angles if set higher.... it's a toss up - I am not sure if I should change mine into a modern setting (royal charm) or not....

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
I've had two small diamonds (10 point and 1/3 carat round brilliants) and two oval emeralds (.5 ct and about 1.3 ct) that were all set in low settings and then high settings. All four stones looked larger in the higher settings. In low settings, they just "squatted" on my fingers.

liz

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
The size of the stone remains the same, its just the optical illusion that creates the "larger" effect. In my experience, the higher the setting, the larger the stone appears... and happy to head out to a jewelry store just to confirm that theory.... (START THE CAR.....)!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvdiamonds2|1325544395|3093678 said:
This is a great thread. I should post some pics of my lower set ring to show how it does look larger I think. However, I see how it could also look larger from certain viewing angles if set higher.... it's a toss up - I am not sure if I should change mine into a modern setting (royal charm) or not....

Nooooooo!!! :errrr: Your diamond and setting are gorgeous!!!! I actually have a royal charm setting and it is a great one, but for a new stone. Your antique stone really needs an antique style setting, IMO!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results