shape
carat
color
clarity

High settings...Are they ok to have?

DiamondMan85

Rough_Rock
I have just ordered an engagement ring with a 7.5mm high four claw setting. Is this considered safe height?

My partner has been pointing out rings she likes and they are all raised high off the finger so i went ahead and ordered it. Custom made diamond ring, should be back in about three weeks

So just after advice really because i have time to change it if 7.5mm is too high i can ask for a lower setting depending on you experts giving me your opinions lol.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa, that sounds really, really high. The disadvantage is that she is going to knock it on things more easily and that can potentially endanger the stone. How big is the diamond? And can you show us the style ring it is?

DiamondMan85

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302698530|2894846 said:
Whoa, that sounds really, really high. The disadvantage is that she is going to knock it on things more easily and that can potentially endanger the stone. How big is the diamond? And can you show us the style ring it is?

Well its based on this style with a 7.5mm setting holding the diamond

IMG00415-20110318-1746.jpg

DiamondMan85

Rough_Rock
The one in the pic is 6.4mm high, so i was just wondering if it will look nice and big/high with a 0.80 centre round brilliant diamond

Im just concerned about it being damaged but she likes it what can i do! :love: love struck lol

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is about 8mm high. It is a catherdal setting...see avatar. The good news is it makes your stone look bigger...
the bad news is it may get hit more. I dont really seem to have a problem with mine but I take it off around the house.
I dont wear it around the house because it gets dirty doing housework etc. I dont have a problem with my height but
I'm sure it would bug some people.

BTW my stone is 1.08.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My original e-ring was set pretty high, and my new upgrade is set pretty low. I really don't feel like there was a significantly higher risk of damaging my first ring than I am my new one. I think much of it has to do with how careful the wearer is, to be honest. I'm sure she is going to love her ring so much she'll take very good care of it!

Tyty--I keep on going back and forth with whether I think higher-set rings make the stone look bigger or not. I really thought they did for a while, but now I think a lower set stone looks larger. It's very strange--I can't figure it out!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
She likes it, what can you do.
I like high settings myself. I do think they make the stones look bigger. that one looks lke it has some support at the sides. How many prongs does it have?
Make sure she is aware of not doing things that would endanger the diamond and I assume the diamond does not have a very thin girdle and that it is an RB (not a princess cut or something with points).
My guess is that she will be fine. I have had a high setting for 25 years with my original stone (which was much smaller about a .38) and got a high setting again with my anniversary stone (.66) which I have had for 3 years and there have been no issues at all. But I dont, like, go rock climbing with my rings on.

AllyD

Shiny_Rock
My setting is about 8mm high and I don't have any issues with it. I wear it all the time except when I'm home. I don't find myself hitting it at all. I wasn't sure I was going to like it, but after I upgraded to it, I really love it. My center is 1.30 and I feel it does make the stone look bigger. :bigsmile:

setting.jpg

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Haven and Black Jade. Its all about how careful she is with it. Mine is set pretty high and I wear it to work (I work in accounting so I am at a computer for most of the day) and when I go out. I never wear it at home, at the gym, or when doing any kind of work inside of the house or outside. I have never had any problems with the setting, and the stone has not yet come loose If that is the style she likes, I say don't worry about it! I'm sure she will love it =)

Make sure you post pics when you get it :wink2:

DiamondMan85

Rough_Rock
hello guys just got back from the gym so just checking your replies and thank you very much for them

The ring is like the this exactly but without the heart design on the sides (it is a 4 claw setting with no designs on the sides so the diamond is visible from either side. The one on this pic is 6.4mm and i am going for a 7.5mm i cant wait to get it from the jeweller! I have to wait about three weeks though! :snore:

The diamond i am putting in this is

0.80 carat centre diamond H/I colour
0.25 carat diamonds on the shoulders channel set

It should look good when its all complete i cant wait to get engaged and see her face, i always made out i couldnt afford more than a 0.30 carat diamond so she will be quite surprised :wink2:

I have been looking at romantic weekends in Europe where i intend to pop the question, so far have come up with Venice, Rome, A Greek island...... Any other ideas?

IMG00415-20110318-1746.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like you'll be okay with the setting! But a weekend in Europe for a proposal??? Gosh, if it was me I'd rather have the extra few thousand spent on the RING!!! (or the honeymoon for sure!)

DiamondMan85

Rough_Rock
I know but the ring will look nice i dont just want her to have a big rock on her finger and ask her in my living room. lol.

Id rather make it really special for example ask her on top of the eiffel tower in paris looking over paris at night.......or outside the colleseum....dont forget i am from the UK so the travel expenses arent much to Europe ive just been looking now....a 3 day break in Rome can be bought for £400 for two!! Thats about $850

Rock-a-Fella

Rough_Rock
Paris is always reliable....almost cliche (still works, though)

Rome is fantastic -- you could do a wonderful proposal at night in front of one of the many beautiful fountains, by the river, or even the Spanish steps http://www.citypictures.org/r-europ...onti-church-spanish-steps-rome-italy-2572.htm. The food and wine before or after the proposal will be.... ahhh.

Danube - Budapest?

closer to home for you - castles up north...perhaps Scotland?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The proposal sounds lovely, and my ER is set high and your brains gets used to NOT knocking it pretty quickly - I wear it 24/7

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo. My pick is Venice.

Go. Get yourselves lost in Venice's beautiful side streets. When there's no one around, and trust me, when you get far enough out, you can avoid the tourists (unlike the Eiffel tower), propose on the most beatiful bridge you can find (and there are plenty).

Luminous-MB

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow your plans sound wonderful! As you can see from the posts above, if she likes the higher settings, I'm sure she will accommodate in order to have it. This is also a cathedral-style setting which kind of masks the height of the ring when comparing it to a tiffany-style solitaire, for example. I'm sure it will be an unforgettable experience, best of luck!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1302707252|2894947 said:
Tyty--I keep on going back and forth with whether I think higher-set rings make the stone look bigger or not. I really thought they did for a while, but now I think a lower set stone looks larger. It's very strange--I can't figure it out!

Hi Haven,
I have never had my stone in a low setting so I cant tell you first hand with a solitare but I did at one point have
2- 5 stone rings that were essentially the same size (.81 and .82). The lower set one was from the Facets
collection and the higher set one was from a local family jeweler. Here is a pic of the two rings together before
I sent the facets collection one back. The size difference was noticable and it wasnt the camera angle so that
is how I formed my opinion. Could be different with a solitare though!

tyty

smller3932.jpg

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! I think you should get what she wants...but to put my two cents in, I am someone is always prefers low-set settings.
I like to wear my rings all the time, when working with my hands too. The rings never catch on anything, and it is easy wear, easy care dealing with my rings. Many of my friends who have high-set diamonds say they regret their choice of settings because the rings catch on everything and they take them off a lot and not wear them as much because they worry about that.
But that said, it is best to get the style she wants.
Best wishes!

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock
As far as a proposal, I didn't find Rome to be very romantic but BF and I found Venice to be the most romantic city ever- even more so than florence which is my fave city in the world. Everything in Venice is romantic, especially the tea-light lit narrow shop-lined streets. Let us know what you decide. It sounds like she's a very lucky lady :D

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1302707252|2894947 said:

They do - when you look at your ring from straight on face-up, anyway - the higher-set diamond is closer to your eyes so it looks bigger. But if you tilt your finger away the higher-set diamond is going to make a bigger arc, and tilt further away from your eyes than the lower-set diamond, so from an angle the lower-set diamond will look bigger

PSeyes.jpg

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Yssie! That's a great visual.

Your explanation helped me figure out why I can't decide what I think. I agree that high set stones do look larger when viewed straight on. However, when I see stones set really high from the side I always think the high setting makes them look smaller, especially when the ring is only prong set without a cathedral or anything.

DiamondMan85

Rough_Rock
Is the one im going for in my pic i have posted above a cathedral style ring?

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
DiamondMan85|1302787105|2895787 said:
Is the one im going for in my pic i have posted above a cathedral style ring?
Yes, the ring you posted has a cathedral setting. The cathedral is made of the metal that swoops up from either side of the shank (the round part of the ring that goes around her finger) and reaches up to the diamond, itself.

Your European proposal sounds wonderful. DH and I travel quite a bit, and I would have loved a romantic European getaway for the proposal.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Can someone please explain the illustration? I can't quite see the way it could look larger or smaller... :confused:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Just give her what she wants. But I really don't like high settings because I bang it all the time. I feel much more comfortable when my diamonds are set as low as possible.

Mike R

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1325578841|3093933 said:
Just give her what she wants. But I really don't like high settings because I bang it all the time. I feel much more comfortable when my diamonds are set as low as possible.

This is great advice, I would listen to Ms CharmyPoo. A girl deserves the ring of her dreams!

The one piece of advice I would give you is if you are looking for a taller ring please make sure the ring has the structure to support and hold the diamond. Just like constructing a building the taller you go the better the foundation must be.
In the case of a prong ring it is advisable for the wires to be thicker the taller you go and it is best to have a small ring of metal tying the prongs together just under the girdle as well.

The prongs have to be thicker because the taller/longer they are the easier they are to bend, just like how it is much easier to bend a long branch than it is to bend a very short amount of branch of the same diameter.

Good luck with you ring shopping.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Get what she wants!

I personally prefer high settings. I will probably never be happy with my current Vatche setting if for no other reason than it's not set to the height I requested and for a 2300$ setting, it really should be set how I asked. That's a reason I won't buy a ring from Leon, I don't want someone dictating what I can do and cannot do when I am paying them that much.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results