shape
carat
color
clarity

What makes a jewel "important"?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

I often read at auction houses' sites and others' that a particular piece being sold is "important."

E.g. http://www.micropave.com/index.php/right-hand-rings/important-paraiba-ring.html

Do any of you know what makes a jewel "important" or not?

I know there's not some official list of which jewels are "important" but are there criteria generally thought of as making a piece "important?"

Thanks.

Danny

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock
I think size is a part of it (along with very high quality).

I know it means you or I can't afford it!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think high quality and rarity of the stone, along with being fairly large.

purplesilk

Ideal_Rock
"Important" is an appealing adjtive which is used to describe an expensive jewel that the seller is not able to sell.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Black Jade|1316607008|3022056 said:
I think size is a part of it (along with very high quality).

I know it means you or I can't afford it!

this, definitely!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
important jewels are those that have something extra that sets them aside from other jewels.
1- quality of material or workmanship.
2-designer and era
3-rarity
4-previous ownership
if a piece has all the above then its important or extra valuable.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
jewelerman|1316646740|3022485 said:
important jewels are those that have something extra that sets them aside from other jewels.
2-designer and era
3-rarity
4-previous ownership

Thanks jewelerman for the information. May I know what takes a piece up to Magnificent?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A really good example of "previous ownership" making something important is the late Princess Diana's ring. It's not an exceptional sapphire and isn't even in a bespoke setting but if it were to be sold, I can't begin to imagine the selling price!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1316722305|3023225 said:
A really good example of "previous ownership" making something important is the late Princess Diana's ring. It's not an exceptional sapphire and isn't even in a bespoke setting but if it were to be sold, I can't begin to imagine the selling price!
i heard on some talk show during the royal wedding hoopla that the ring had been insured for the equivalent of a million dollars...not sure how much fact is in that statement but given the history or the ring i would not doubt it.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Magnificent must be Important plus a few carats, Danny. With an icing of other stones in the setting. And even further out of our reach. :cry:

Auction houses use "important" on other types of items, such as "an important Georgian dining table." When I see that I expect it to have held King George I's porridge, but the criteria are similar to what Jewelerman said: Maker, rarity, provenance, condition, materials, age. No association w/ any historic luminary necessary, except whoever created it (& sometimes not even that).

It's also a way to grab the buyer's attention & impress him or her. Makes the price seem more worthwhile, I guess.

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, everyone. LovingDiamonds, my understanding is that it is a bespoke setting now because Prince Charles decided (or someone decided) that because it was from Garrard's catalog it it wasn't acceptable (I don't know why they wouldn't have thought of this before but anyway) and the ring was remade. I don't claim to know anything about the sapphire but it looks too dark for my taste in pictures I've seen.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
simplysplendid|1316721448|3023206 said:
jewelerman|1316646740|3022485 said:
2-designer and era
3-rarity
4-previous ownership

Thanks jewelerman for the information. May I know what takes a piece up to Magnificent?
what jewelfreak said...its the best of Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry IMPORTANT AND A FEW CARATS MORE= THE LIZ TAYLOR DIAMOND. :sun:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Imdanny|1316831049|3024366 said:
my understanding is that it is a bespoke setting now because Prince Charles decided (or someone decided) that because it was from Garrard's catalog it it wasn't acceptable (I don't know why they wouldn't have thought of this before but anyway) and the ring was remade.

True, Danny, though I don't know if that's why they changed it. If you look at later pics of the ring when Diana wore it, there are 8 or 10 prongs; early photos show only 4, I think. Anyway, much fewer. Must have been re-set sometime in their marriage.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me, a piece is "important" if it makes everything within 10 feet of it disappear.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1316831049|3024366 said:

Thanks, everyone. LovingDiamonds, my understanding is that it is a bespoke setting now because Prince Charles decided (or someone decided) that because it was from Garrard's catalog it it wasn't acceptable (I don't know why they wouldn't have thought of this before but anyway) and the ring was remade. I don't claim to know anything about the sapphire but it looks too dark for my taste in pictures I've seen.

It was definitely a catalogue ring when he purchased it. I believe the later modifications were relatively minor and I'm not convinced I'd say that made it bespoke! Like you, I find the sapphire much too dark and not my taste at all. I may be banished to The Tower for life for saying this, but I've seen far nicer sapphires on this forum!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
i have to agree that while the ring is pretty,Ive seen more impressive sapphires on commoners also :bigsmile: as her taste and ability to pick a good sapphire grew Diana collected some amazing sapphires later on in her short life!I love cabochon cut sapphires and she has some stunning jewelry with cab cut sapphires as center stones.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1316823599|3024273 said:
Magnificent must be Important plus a few carats, Danny. With an icing of other stones in the setting. And even further out of our reach. :cry:

--- Laurie

Laurie, there is this Oscar Heyman multi-color sapphire bracelet (forget about the necklace, ring, and earrings that match it) with the most beautiful sapphires.

"Fine Jewelry" (as opposed to "New!"), page 13, on top of emerald and diamond and ruby and diamond bracelets.

http://www.oscarheyman.com/catalog.php

I can't imagine holding something that magnificent in my hands let alone owning it.

I told SO I'd wear it like a medieval prince. He was not amused.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
imdanny,
thanks for posting the catalog! everything in that book is important to me! :sun:

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
My pleasure!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results