shape
carat
color
clarity

What looks like an emerald, but isn''t...for a new project

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
ETA: i tried, but couldn't take a photo of my emerald next to my tsavorite. I'll take it in the day.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 7:34:53 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Remember that they don''t have to match EXACTLY. You won''t be walking around with your hand over your heart right next to the pendant.

Of course for PS photos you might do that! But IRL the ring and pendant won''t be viewed side by side.

LOVE the ring and many of the suggestions you''ve gotten. I really like the idea of setting the diamonds with it.
That is too funny
9.gif
Your are right, of course!! I have the diamonds let over from the sapphire reset. DH asked if I would need a pendant to match every colored stone ring I had. Right now, I only have two CS rings, so it''s not too bad
31.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
rising sun, I am not sure whats your budget is like or what carat size you want, however Michael E at Gemshoppe has a beautiful 1.27ct emerald for 50% less. Do check it out! Will try to attach pic....

Emerald Rectangle1.jpg

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 7:35:46 PM
Author: Harriet
Give me half an hour ...
2.gif
I''m not feeling very well, so I''m going for a bit of a rest. I''ll be back later to see what you''ve been up to
2.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 7:44:09 PM
Author: megeve
rising sun, I am not sure whats your budget is like or what carat size you want, however Michael E at Gemshoppe has a beautiful 1.27ct emerald for 50% less. Do check it out! Will try to attach pic....
Thanks, megeve. I'll go take a look. I'm looking for something between .75-.85 ct, but a little bigger might work. Thanks for the heads up!

ETA: I can't find the emerald on his website. Do you have a link?

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 7:48:38 PM
Author: risingsun

Thanks, megeve. I'll go take a look. I'm looking for something between .75-.85 ct, but a little bigger might work. Thanks for the heads up!

I can't mention the link. Please email Michael and he can tell you the website where you can view his stones. Good Luck!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 8:01:57 PM

Date: 9/12/2009 7:48:38 PM

I can't mention the link. Please email Michael and he can tell you the website where you can view his stones. Good Luck!
OK. Thanks, I'll do that.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops, the precision gem tsav I posted sold already.
7.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 11:35:08 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Oops, the precision gem tsav I posted sold already.
7.gif
But that was supposed to be for me
39.gif

megeve

Brilliant_Rock
Did you get the emerald?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
To answer - of course that majority of people won''t know if both of your emeralds are really emeralds, but the difference in liveliness can be quite obvious. Especially in how tsavorite has stronger, more pronounced brilliance and "harsher" scintillation (somewhat like a diamond when compared to a white sapphire), while that of most emeralds is almost suitable for meditation, when compared to a tsavs (slower and gentle). But of course, the most important thing is that you''re happy with the stone, whatever it turns out to be.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 1:31:33 AM
Did you get the emerald?
I didn''t get the emerald. I think it is just too large--can you imagine that
6.gif
--for the pendant!! I would also like to stay with an oval or cushion cut. I do thank you for the recommendation
1.gif
I''ve bookmarked this vendor for future reference.

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 9:20:30 AM
Author: ma re
To answer - of course that majority of people won''t know if both of your emeralds are really emeralds, but the difference in liveliness can be quite obvious. Especially in how tsavorite has stronger, more pronounced brilliance and ''harsher'' scintillation (somewhat like a diamond when compared to a white sapphire), while that of most emeralds is almost suitable for meditation, when compared to a tsavs (slower and gentle). But of course, the most important thing is that you''re happy with the stone, whatever it turns out to be.
Your wise counsel is always appreciated. The way you describe gems is quite poetic. I am hoping, due to the small size of the pendant, that the difference won''t be very pronounced. Of course, I don''t actually have a gem yet! I have a special interest in the lions of tsavo. Having a tsavorite would have unique meaning to me.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 11:59:37 AM

To answer - of course that majority of people won''t know if both of your emeralds are really emeralds, but the difference in liveliness can be quite obvious. Especially in how tsavorite has stronger, more pronounced brilliance and ''harsher'' scintillation (somewhat like a diamond when compared to a white sapphire), while that of most emeralds is almost suitable for meditation, when compared to a tsavs (slower and gentle). But of course, the most important thing is that you''re happy with the stone, whatever it turns out to be.
Your wise counsel is always appreciated. The way you describe gems is quite poetic. I am hoping, due to the small size of the pendant, that the difference won''t be very pronounced. Of course, I don''t actually have a gem yet! I have a special interest in the lions of tsavo. Having a tsavorite would have unique meaning to me.
Thank you for the compliments, sometimes I have a way with words, and well, gems are a passion, so it''s not difficult to get all poetic I guess
1.gif
Didn''t know about the lions - if that''s the case, get yourself a tsavo from Tsavo and make yourself happy. Jewellery with a meaning is always great to have, and if there''s a story behind a piece, the piece becomes more interesting in my opinion. I got some more ideas as to how to make a tsav look more like an emerald. If you don''t mind lower clarity grade (some visible inclusions), that would make the stone both, look more like a typical emearld, and also more similar in the level of brilliance. It could also make the stone very interesting, like (for example) a green tourmaline cab set in a ring posted here some days ago.

BTW, is Marian your real name? If it is, we almost have the same name, mine only has a "j" between an "i" and an "a"
2.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 12:38:37 PM

Date: 9/13/2009 11:59:37 AM

Thank you for the compliments, sometimes I have a way with words, and well, gems are a passion, so it''s not difficult to get all poetic I guess
1.gif
Didn''t know about the lions - if that''s the case, get yourself a tsavo from Tsavo and make yourself happy. Jewellery with a meaning is always great to have, and if there''s a story behind a piece, the piece becomes more interesting in my opinion. I got some more ideas as to how to make a tsav look more like an emerald. If you don''t mind lower clarity grade (some visible inclusions), that would make the stone both, look more like a typical emearld, and also more similar in the level of brilliance. It could also make the stone very interesting, like (for example) a green tourmaline cab set in a ring posted here some days ago.

BTW, is Marian your real name? If it is, we almost have the same name, mine only has a ''j'' between an ''i'' and an ''a''
2.gif
Yes, Marian is my real name. We do have almost the same name
1.gif
I just received an email from Gene at Precision Gem expressing the same concerns that you did about a tsav. I must put on my thinking cap for this one. If I choose a high quality emerald, I''m afraid it will be too expensive for me at this time. I''ll email Gene with your suggestions and see what he thinks is possible. Thank you for your help.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes if you enjoy wearing pendants you will need a pendant to match every colored stone ring or earrings that you own.

Or you could just give up and get a diamond pendant and wear that all the time. Research some really expensive ones and then chat with your husband about multiple gemstone pendants or the versital diamond pendant.
2.gif

Date: 9/12/2009 7:42:57 PM

Remember that they don''t have to match EXACTLY. You won''t be walking around with your hand over your heart right next to the pendant.

Of course for PS photos you might do that! But IRL the ring and pendant won''t be viewed side by side.

LOVE the ring and many of the suggestions you''ve gotten. I really like the idea of setting the diamonds with it.
That is too funny
9.gif
Your are right, of course!! I have the diamonds let over from the sapphire reset. DH asked if I would need a pendant to match every colored stone ring I had. Right now, I only have two CS rings, so it''s not too bad
31.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/12/2009 7:35:46 PM
ETA: i tried, but couldn't take a photo of my emerald next to my tsavorite. I'll take it in the day.
I just saw your post. I don't know how I missed it! I'll look forward to your photo
1.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2009 2:32:15 PM
Yes if you enjoy wearing pendants you will need a pendant to match every colored stone ring or earrings that you own.

Or you could just give up and get a diamond pendant and wear that all the time. Research some really expensive ones and then chat with your husband about multiple gemstone pendants or the versital diamond pendant.
2.gif

Date: 9/12/2009 7:42:57 PM

That is too funny
9.gif
31.gif
Stone Hunter is an enabler, says DH
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here you go, Marian.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2009 5:46:48 PM
3.gif
Well we all need to be something!

Cool photo of the two stones tfs!

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 5:12:09 PM
Here you go, Marian.
Thanks, Harriet. They look great together! Perhaps you should just send them to me
9.gif
Gene at Precision Gem is cutting a tsavorite for me and I'm very excited to see how it turns out
1.gif

risingsun

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 5:23:03 PM

Date: 9/13/2009 5:46:48 PM
3.gif
Well we all need to be something!

Cool photo of the two stones tfs!
I think that you are just being helpful
9.gif
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results