shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of lessons/activities will you put your kids?

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone mentioned after school activities on another thread, which made me think of this...

What kind of activities will you put your kid in and at what age? How many days?

Right now I don't do much with Amelia...she's 2.5. She goes to preschool twice a week for four hours and that's it. At some point, I'll figure out what might be good for her, but I have friends who started their kids on activities at Amelia's age and shuttled their kids around to different activities every day of the week. The idea was to put them in as many things as possible and see what sticks.

I don't think I'm going to do that, but not sure at all what I'm going to do. Things I'm thinking about for the future are:

- Golf (um, the only thing dad requested, so we have to make a go of this.)

- Piano. I hated piano. HATED it. No talent whatsoever. But Amelia loves music so I thought I'd give this a go and if she hates it, I'll happily stop. But piano is the basis for musical learning IMHO so I'll start with this (or I think there is a little wind instrument the really young ones can start with). If she prefers drums, I'd love that, lol.

- Dance. she likes dancing, but I'm not that enamored by the concept of dance class, so this is probably last on the list.

- Martial arts - when she older and only if she exhibits interest. I think it's great for self esteem.

- Some of team sport later on. Seems like soccer is the mandatory thing these days!

- Beauty pagents. Just kidding.

I really don't know what kids do these days. What are you thinking about?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
eh I don't really know yet.

We know he'll be into some type of sports--just not sure what. He's so active, he has a ton of energy and he loves moving his body. So we know he'll like something, but hopefully when he's a little older we'll get some indication on what he might like.

And I assume he'll be into some type of music... he LOVES music and to sway/dance with us. Also he will dance/move side to side when I hold him in my lap and sing a song. Plus Greg plays like 3 instruments so he'll always be around music and instruments.

What I definitely won't do is push him into anything because I or we want him to do it. I want him to do what he wants to do...and I am assuming based on how we are and our lifestyle that he will want to be active and musical but beyond that who knows. :bigsmile: He's still kind of a blank slate.

We also don't want him so overscheduled that every minute of his time is spoken for. There's something to be said for just knowing how to relax and smell the flowers. Oh also, I plan to start a little veggie garden with him next year.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
There's a gym in my area that has a sports class for kids (as young as 18 months). They get to play a little bit of each sport and see what might fit them best for future teams. I think I'll put Kyle in that when he's a bit older, maybe 3-ish and potty trained. I'm also hoping to do music. Tgal, it's probably a Recorder you're thinking of, little plastic clarinet type thing. Kyle runs around with my old one already. And bangs on the piano...

I think some of the activities they have for kids these days are pretty overdone. How many teams do they really need to be on? And when do they play if they have different lessons every day of the week?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Things I secretly hope she has interest in so that she can participate after school:

-Any kind of sport. FI wants her to play soccer because it's what he did as a kid in Chile. I don't really care what sport it is as long as she's moving.

-Dance, preferably ballet. I want to put her tip toe walking to good use ;))

-Music (some instrument...though I would love if she learned to play the piano)

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
Although we don't have kids yet DH and I have talked about this. I grew up playing sports (softball, soccer, field hockey) for the most part, although I did have a year of dance classes and one of acting classes. DH grew up taking music lessons and is a very accomplished pianist and trumpet player. He also played tennis. We definitely want to encourage our kids to pursue some sort of athletic activity as well as something in the arts. While they are young we will expose them to different options and hopefully something will jump out that they enjoy. I don't want to force them to do activities they hate, but I feel strongly that I want them to be involved in something - I know playing sports helped me develop a lot of discipline and persistence, and my DH feels the same about music.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
All I know so far is that I don't want activities on more than one day per week! It is too busy otherwise! He is in swimming now 2x per week after work, and those days are too hectic. So my plan in the future is activites no more than one weekday and one weekend day per week.

I hope to expose my kids to as many things as possible as you never know what will strike their fancy.

Growing up I played soccer and baseball for years and years. And I did summer art camps and summer outdoors camps. Pottery, painting, drawing classes. Swimming is a given. I also did various music lessons and eventually did acting for a long long time. As I was older I chose what activities to do, but in my elementary years my mom just had me try as many things as possible and that was great.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Not big on the whole activity thing if it looks too structured, but I desperately want her to want a pony. That's more about my wants than hers, for sure. Just please, please let me live vicariously through the pony years again. :bigsmile:

Ok, I already got her a pony. :-o Welsh X, just under 10 hands. She adores him. And she is so, so cute in the riding kit.

I took music classes as a kid, so I would love her to want to play a double reed instrument. We have a piano and she's interested, so I'll get her tuition when she's older if she wants that. We take her swimming, which she loves, and she has the option of dance classes at her creche. She always chooses to go to the class, so I'm guessing she's enjoying it.

Basically, it will only be things she chooses for herself (except the pony...) so maybe she'll be a bit older before discovering what she's interested in. I'm fine with that. If it's anything that involves standing beside a sportsfield in the rain, DH and I have quietly decided that we're going to encourage her godparents to get involved. :Up_to_something:

lili

Ideal_Rock
Fiery--
LOL...I was going to say that you might find J in S's class but just remembered that you are in a different time zone.
J is a tiptoer too. She still does it at 2.5. In fact, sometimes she'd actually walked w/ her toes bent inward so that she's standing on the knuckles.

TGal--
I think A would fit the bill for beauty pageant -- model type build, adorable, and talented (we all heard her sings).

We haven't given much thought to extra-curricular activities...but we are game for anything that she'd be interested.
DH is pretty set on getting her in some physical activities -- be it in sport (football if he's got his way), martial art, gymnastics, or just going into the gym.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
lili said:
Fiery--
LOL...I was going to say that you might find J in S's class but just remembered that you are in a different time zone.
J is a tiptoer too. She still does it at 2.5. In fact, sometimes she'd actually walked w/ her toes bent inward so that she's standing on the knuckles.

TGal--
I think A would fit the bill for beauty pageant -- model type build, adorable, and talented (we all heard her sings).
We haven't given much thought to extra-curricular activities...but we are game for anything that she'd be interested.
DH is pretty set on getting her in some physical activities -- be it in sport (football if he's got his way), martial art, gymnastics, or just going into the gym.

LOL, you are so full of sh*t lili! :rodent:

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
lili-I'm convinced they're destined to be famous dancers :halo:

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I would be highly surprised if Savannah didn't take to gymnastics. She's a climber! She climb out of her crib and made her way down the stairs.

I think Nate wants Gray in football, but unless he's like, the kicker, I don't know if that's going to work. He's kind of a crybaby. I'm totally fine with that, i don't want him getting his brains knocked around.

Other choices are:

Dance, preferably ballet. I would love for one or both of them to take up dancing, I loved it and I think it's one of those things that helps with refinement and manners, and the like.

Piano. I played piano for years and even though It wasn't my favorite activity, I didn't hate it. I think, like Tgal, it is the basis for learning music, so I'd want them to at least try it. I have a saxophone somewhere gathering dust, that they could pick up in the future. For some reason, I kind of see Savannah playing the flute. I have no idea why, but she reminds me of one of my best friends from high school.

Tennis would be my sport of choice, since that's what I play. But, I'm not opposed to swimming, diving, or soccer. Nate played lacrosse and I think he would like it if one of them took that up. I don't know much about it because it's not big in Alabama. He also plays golf, but I think our two are too hyper for golf. Maybe one of the future kids.

I'm pretty much planning to do with my folks did with me, trial and error. Put them into things until they find out what they like.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Piano, for sure. DH plays beautifully and he plays solely by ear. Micah absolutely adores classical piano and guitar music, so I think we will offer both to him and see what he prefers, if anything.

Martial arts, for sure. Most little boys like this and if he expresses interest he can continue as long as he likes.

Sports, especially football. There is just something so adorable about PeeWee football...those huge shoulders on tiny little bodies, haha!

Anything he wants to try, I want to let him do, unless he wants to try EVERYTHING lol. I never got to do anything as a kid, neither did DH, so we want him to have options.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not a fan of over scheduling kids, so mine haven't done a lot of things.

Younger son: swimming (age 4-current), soccer (7), karate (6), and two years of mini-sports camp (five days X 3 hrs 6-7). He's really taken to swimming so we do that nearly year round. Soccer he didn't get into but we finished out the season. He did two months of karate and showed interest in the punching & moves, but when the teacher began expecting more focus, my son just lost interest. Mini-sports camp he enjoyed. The ONLY sport that really turned out to be a disaster was football (age 8 ). I accidently signed him up for tackle instead of flag and he refused to go to practice after being tackled. Normally, I would expect him to finish a season, like with soccer, but in the case of football, he cried and I'm not going to force a child who is crying to do a sport. With soccer, he was just, "ho hum," and spaced out during all the games so it wasn't an issue.

Turns out he's more into arts/drama and he will be enrolled in art classes and dramatic arts that the school offers for elementary kids.

Older son: swimming (5ish - current), soccer (9 & 10), mini-sports camp, and golf camp (7 or 8 ). Like my younger, he loves swimming and we do that. He likes soccer, but isn't really into it. It's more the idea of it. As long as he wants to do it, I don't mind taking him to practice because he seems to enjoy that. It's the games where he just stands there! He's 10 so if next year there is more competition, I may try and talk him out of playing. If not, I guess he'll keep at it. He found golf painfully boring. He went to the camp with a friend and neither enjoyed *that* camp. I guess other organizations are better.

Again, I am not into overbooking kids. I offer activites and if they say yes, they do them. They've said no to basketball & baseball.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W said:
Not big on the whole activity thing if it looks too structured, but I desperately want her to want a pony. That's more about my wants than hers, for sure. Just please, please let me live vicariously through the pony years again. :bigsmile:

Ok, I already got her a pony. :-o Welsh X, just under 10 hands. She adores him. And she is so, so cute in the riding kit.

I took music classes as a kid, so I would love her to want to play a double reed instrument. We have a piano and she's interested, so I'll get her tuition when she's older if she wants that. We take her swimming, which she loves, and she has the option of dance classes at her creche. She always chooses to go to the class, so I'm guessing she's enjoying it.

Basically, it will only be things she chooses for herself (except the pony...) so maybe she'll be a bit older before discovering what she's interested in. I'm fine with that. If it's anything that involves standing beside a sportsfield in the rain, DH and I have quietly decided that we're going to encourage her godparents to get involved. :Up_to_something:

I'm not into highly structured either. It takes away from after school relaxation and they don't have as much time to play w/friends after school. Last year with both kids in soccer, we had 4 practices on four seperate nights per week AND two weekend games. I felt like banging my head against the wall!

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
The kind she's interested in.
I don't care what she's involved in as long as she is and it's a positive experience (excepting beauty pageants).

When she's little/younger I think we'll limit to 1-2 at a time. As she gets older we'll give her more input regarding how much she can handle and we'll use it as a tool to teach her time management.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just dance for now, one hour per week during the school year. 1/2 hour of ballet and 1/2 hour of tap. She could also do tball, soccer and Girl Scouts (tho soccer is over for the year and tball doesn't start until this spring) but I'm the only one doing the running, and trying to drag Trapper around at the same time is hard. Gymnastics would be fun but it's 30 minutes away. We did swimming lessons this summer and it bombed-the lifeguards upset her and hounded her until she cried, so now we have a little girl petrified and will only stand in the shallow end.

Trapper I figure we'll put in wrestling and football, and if they offer martial arts around here, he can do that too. Hopefully by then JD will have different hours b/c I'm not about to enlist 1/2 the county to ferry kids around.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
High on my list:

- Dance class - she's already very keen on dancing so as soon as she's old enough to go I'll sign her up. I'd prefer her not to do ballet unless she insists, I'd rather it was latin american, ballroom or modern.

- Music - I'm thinking of starting with singing lessons and taking it from there. (Please don't let it be the double bass or bagpipes :-o )

- Drama - As soon as she's old enough.

Luckily we have fantastic facilities in our area.

Sport other than swimming I will leave to the schools although I will probably teach her to shoot when she's old enough (8 or 9) as I think it's a good thing to know how to be safe around guns.

I'd like her to learn skills that are socially useful - you're not going to get your violin out at a party or flaunt your demi-plies at the nightclub when you're 20, whereas being able to sing in tune is always useful and feeling like you can dance is good for self-confidence (I felt like a daddy-long-legs with 2 left feet for years despite the amount of ballet I was forced to do. Some latin-american lessons made a huge difference!)

Jen, I was horse crazy as a child, to the extent that I almost wish that she won't get the bug as I was so desperate for the pony I never got and here in London there's not a chance of having one.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
DD started indoor swim lessons at age 3.

Ballet and tap at age 4 at the local community college

T-ball at 4/5

Soccer at 6 (this she really loved and played until last year- age 17)

Played violin in school grades 3-8

E B

Ideal_Rock
My husband is a huge baseball fan, so we'd probably put him in tee-ball/softball/baseball for as long as he wants to play. And since he'll be tall, he may be good at/interested basketball.

Martial arts sounds like a good idea as well. Of course, it'll all depend on what he has time for and what isn't horribly expensive.

I had him in a semi-private swim class this summer which he loved, so we'll probably pick back up this spring and summer.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don't have kids, but we any my husband have been talking about this.

The most important thing I want to do is not push my child into anything. I will try some activities, and adjust depending on how they react. Most of the things I want to do are things kids are not getting in school. I also do not want to overextend them and will probably do different things at different times in their lives.

1) I would like them to learn how to play an instrument, at the very least so they learn the basics of music, rhythm, pitch ect. I would like to start my kids in piano, but if they express interest in a different instrument switch them.

2) If I have a girl, I would like to start them in gymnastics or ballet at a younger age. Nothing too crazy. I think most (but not all girls) have fun with it, and I want to try to help them maintain their flexibility.

3) I will probably teach them the basics of drawing and painting. We have a lot of family members good at art, so I would not be surprised if one if my kids showed interest. If they do, than I will enroll them into a formal class.

My husband is into auto racing and wants to start go cart racing. This makes me a bit nervous and I have concerns about this. If I have a kid who is begging to do it, and I think it is because they want to, I will probably give the green light. I have told him absolutely no ATVs or similar types of motor sports. I have seen too many bad outcomes from those. We will see if this ever becomes an issue. I am also not too excited about football or any other high contact sport, and will only do that if my child is really into it, and even than I will be nervous.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
The only activity JT is currently in is a Church thing. Other than that, he just plays all the time, which is what I think is appropriate. DH and I have always said no matter what interests our children have, we will try to get them all the classes or instruction or supplies they want. But, a couple days ago, JT asked if he could go to "Paleontology school" and I am stuck!!

Wouldn't soccer or tumbling or swimming be so much easier?!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Are there any sports out there that involve playing with a very, very soft ball on a padded field whilst wearing protective gear from head to toe? If so, I think that might be the only thing my husband will allow our kids to play.

So far he's outlawed football, soccer, hockey, basketball and is not very keen on baseball, either. And if we have a girl, all of the aforemenioned + dance. He believes his reasons are sound, quoting articles about concussions, long-term head trauma, stats about trips to the ER and injuries to various body parts from destructive repeated motions.

Needless to say, I hope our kids are musical. DH was a music major in college before switching to math and I had planned to major in music before realizing that I couldn't make a living doing it, so fingers crossed those genes get passed down. Though I'm sure D will find some study on excessive violin playing causing permanent ligament damage or an article about a man who suffered from a serious embouchure injury while playing a double-reed instrument.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I don't have children yet, but I like thinking about this kind of stuff. I think I'd try and start my kids doing the following:

- Piano lessons. I took them from age 5-18 and love to play. My brothers both did piano for a while, then chose to play other instruments as well, and I think an understanding and appreciation of music is a wonderful thing for a child. Since I already have a piano, no new equipment purchases would be necessary =).

- Gymnastics. I think gymnastics is a great way to enhance balance, coordination, overall strength, and self-confidence for both boys and girls. (I was a gymnast and coached gymnastics for a number of years.) That said, I definitely wouldn't push a child to continue unless he or she really, really wanted to as it's a demanding and injury-ridden sport.

- Some sort of team sport. I wish my parents had made me join a soccer, basketball or softball team. My brothers both excel in team sports, but I think my parents made a mistake in not encouraging me to participate in one, too.

- Swimming lessons. As much as I hated swimming lessons, I think they're important just as a survival tool. If my kids liked swimming, I would definitely encourage them to pursue it and join a swim team.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
Swimming lessons are non-negotiable :bigsmile:

We'll probably start with music classes when a baby/toddler (I teach them:).

Then a musical instrument (piano or a string instrument) and something physical--dance/gymnastics/or soccer--we'll go from there depending on what our kids like.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo said:
Swimming lessons are non-negotiable :bigsmile:

We'll probably start with music classes when a baby/toddler (I teach them:).

Then a musical instrument (piano or a string instrument) and something physical--dance/gymnastics/or soccer--we'll go from there depending on what our kids like.

Oh yeah, my kids will have swimming lesions. I will make them learn the basic skills, and if they like it they can continue.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My kids are 18 and 21 now, but when they were younger I just let them try activities they were interested in. Both my daughter and son took gymnastics for awhile and enjoyed it, but eventually lost interest. My daughter tried soccer but didn't like it. My daughter eventually took dance lessons and loved it. She was on a dance team throughout high school. My son took karate for quite a few years. He tried baseball when he was younger but just wasn't into team sports. Oh, and my daughter was in girl scouts. I just never believed in forcing my kids to do something they truly didn't like. But I always tried to have them involved in something. And I didn't want to make life crazy by having them in a bunch of activities. Believe me, I ran around a lot as it is with the few activities they were in!

Sometimes I regret not trying to interest them more in music lessons. Although, now that I think about it, my daughter did take drum lessons for a little while! And my son took guitar lessons when he was in 7th grade but just wasn't into it enough to practice. Now, at 18, he is teaching himself how to play the guitar and doing really well with it. I'm going to try to talk him into taking lessons to expand on what he's learning on his own.

eta: Oh yeah, they took swimming lessons too. I'm glad about that, they're both good swimmers, unlike their mother teehee.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I've been thinking about this too - mostly because everytime I ask someone when their son/daughter started an activity, they say "2"! So I guess the part I worry about is if I do not expose her early enough, that she somehow misses out. Still my plan is to hold off on something consistent until 3. Like everyone else I'm thinking soccer (C just loves kicking the ball-and has been a straight shooter since 18 mo's, it's crazy!) and maybe piano. I'm nervous about piano b/c I hated it as did my sister..and it means investing in one. But C does bang away at her play one so maybe there's interest. I'd be happy if she found a less obvious instrument too though.

I like the idea of ballet, but nothing intense. I think it offers grace and poise and you can always spot a dancer!

Then there's tennis and golf which are very popular in my family...I'm sure she won't be able to avoid the pressure to try both out. No idea how to start these though..maybe the golf set TGAL recommended a while back.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
If our future kid doesn't play basketball DH will be very disappointed! Haha.

Swimming lessons will be non-negotiable.

I would love if my kid wanted to play an instrument, especially a string instrument (I play cello and we could play duets!) but I won't force it. My mom said once I started I had to play until 18, no quitting, and it was the best thing she ever made me do. Though I might modify the rule if my kid has a lot of other activities.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny said:
The only activity JT is currently in is a Church thing. Other than that, he just plays all the time, which is what I think is appropriate. DH and I have always said no matter what interests our children have, we will try to get them all the classes or instruction or supplies they want. But, a couple days ago, JT asked if he could go to "Paleontology school" and I am stuck!!

Do you have a local museum that runs one? I live across the road from one and they run a free Archaeology club on Saturdays for over-9's that I will definitely send Daisy to. We've also got a City Farm at the bottom of the street that does farming classes for kids over 6 one Saturday a month.

I'm always amazed when I hear parents in London saying their kids are bored and have nothing to do. We are so lucky to have huge amounts of things laid on in the holidays and most are free.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny said:

hahaha My son talked of being a paleontologist. His kindergarten teacher had them make posters where they wrote about their fav foods and all that and what the wanted to be when they grow up and my son wrote about being a paleontologist! The other kids must have been totally confused by that one!

How old is your son? You could call around and see if there is a digging site. I live in Western WA and had heard about a place in Eastern WA with a digging site. Only reason we haven't gone is it's a LONG drive and we'd have to cross the mountains. Also, my son has moved onto other interests like being a comic book writer and/or a movie maker (wants to make movies like "Panyo"). It's easier buying a ream of paper from Target and letting him have at it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results