shape
carat
color
clarity

What kind of lessons/activities will you put your kids?

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
My kids are a little older, but here's what they've done so far -

When they were little, they mostly did things like dance/tumbling through their preschool. The girls took ballet when we lived in TX (4 and 6), but when we moved we didn't start back up (and they haven't really missed it).

My eldest has been riding since she was 6, and she loves it. Now that she's 13, she also volunteers at a local-ish horse rescue farm.

My middle daughter has ridden some, but she's not as into it as her sister, and she's pretty much given it up by now (age 11). She's currently taking a voice class, but I don't think she wants to continue it in the spring. She doesn't like being busy/overscheduled too much, so I try to respect that.

The youngest (7) did soccer for a while, but it really wasn't his thing. He's done a little with martial arts and enjoyed it, so we're going to start that with him, I think.

All 3 kids take tennis classes, which they really enjoy (in part because my husband is a tennis lover but mostly because they have an awesome instructor). They'd done tennis instruction off and on for a couple of years, but this year we got really serious about it, and they have a semi-private lesson - just the 3 of them. I have no illusions that they will be the next tennis phenoms; I just want them to find some sport that they can enjoy for a good long time.

Oh, and swimming lessons were mandatory for all of them.

This summer, we all took an archery class, which was awesome. Unfortunately, there's no fall/winter/spring archery instruction near us, but we're planning to take the class again next summer.

At our elementary school, the kids can do instrumental music starting in 4th grade. The eldest learned the flute but gave it up when she went on the middle school. The middle one chose the violin, and she's kept with it in middle school. We'll see about the little boy when the time comes. Both girls want to take guitar lessons; maybe next year.

We both work, so it can be hard to fit everything in. I prefer activities that meet on the weekends - it can be so hard to come home, eat supper, and then go out to an activity, plus I don't want them to be overscheduled. We also take advantage of opportunities in school (like the instrumental music) whenever possible.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
KimberlyH said:
The kind she's interested in.
I don't care what she's involved in as long as she is and it's a positive experience (excepting beauty pageants).

When she's little/younger I think we'll limit to 1-2 at a time. As she gets older we'll give her more input regarding how much she can handle and we'll use it as a tool to teach her time management.
THIS!

Okay, we have no kids yet, but I've thought about this a lot because of my experiences as a teacher.
As young children, I hope to nurture whatever passions/talents/interests our kids develop.
Then, when they're in middle school and up we plan on requiring that they participate in at least one extra-curricular activity every season. We don't care if it's a sport, an art, recycling club, anime, speech, an underground satirical magazine, whatever. As long as they're involved in something, and they're happy, we'll be happy.

I feel very strongly about this. Kids are happier, more productive, more successful in school, etc. etc. when they are involved in some activity that makes them tick.

DH and I were athletes in school, so I'm sure we'll secretly hope they play some sort of sport every season, but we won't push it. We'll definitely be the "Let's do a 5K for charity Thanksgiving morning" family, but no forced sports or activities for us. I'd like to give them opportunities to try out a variety of things, and see which sticks.

Of course, my biggest wish is that they be avid readers and start grassroots book clubs in their schools. :devil: (I'm going to be NerdMom, I know. I'm totally aware of that, and I accept it.)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haven said:
KimberlyH said:
The kind she's interested in.
I don't care what she's involved in as long as she is and it's a positive experience (excepting beauty pageants).

When she's little/younger I think we'll limit to 1-2 at a time. As she gets older we'll give her more input regarding how much she can handle and we'll use it as a tool to teach her time management.
THIS!

Okay, we have no kids yet, but I've thought about this a lot because of my experiences as a teacher.
As young children, I hope to nurture whatever passions/talents/interests our kids develop.
Then, when they're in middle school and up we plan on requiring that they participate in at least one extra-curricular activity every season. We don't care if it's a sport, an art, recycling club, anime, speech, an underground satirical magazine, whatever. As long as they're involved in something, and they're happy, we'll be happy.

I feel very strongly about this. Kids are happier, more productive, more successful in school, etc. etc. when they are involved in some activity that makes them tick.

DH and I were athletes in school, so I'm sure we'll secretly hope they play some sort of sport every season, but we won't push it. We'll definitely be the "Let's do a 5K for charity Thanksgiving morning" family, but no forced sports or activities for us. I'd like to give them opportunities to try out a variety of things, and see which sticks.

Of course, my biggest wish is that they be avid readers and start grassroots book clubs in their schools.
:devil: (I'm going to be NerdMom, I know. I'm totally aware of that, and I accept it.)

Volunteering in class is beneficial! I would go in to my son's class and read with the students one-on-one. That was something the teacher didn't have time for! Helped the entire class :)

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Basically, she can do whatever SHE wants to do. Swim class is essential. I would encourage ballet, gymnastics, horseback riding, tennis when she's older, piano sounds good. If she doesn't want to do any of the above, that's fine with me. DH and I are pretty laidback, and I really don't think we'll be trying to fill her resume. She can do whatever she wants, and we will support her. I participated in no activities growning up, which I do regret a little. I would have liked gymnastics or ballet.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I think we all agree that our children should do what they want to do, but I know for me, the question is more about what to expose them to when they are young and not yet aware of what the choices are! So the parent does then make some decision for their young child indirectly and this is where it comes in handy to hear what others have done and the rationale (and also interesting to hear what some remember from their childhood positively/negatively).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
janinegirly said:
I think we all agree that our children should do what they want to do, but I know for me, the question is more about what to expose them to when they are young and not yet aware of what the choices are! So the parent does then make some decision for their young child indirectly and this is where it comes in handy to hear what others have done and the rationale (and also interesting to hear what some remember from their childhood positively/negatively).

There are some great summer mini-camps around my area that are PT for a week (like 9 am - noon) that have each day exposing the child to different sports (they have these for 4-8 year olds). The ones my kids went to had soccer, baseball, basketball and a couple other things - one each day. They also have 1 week basketball camps, soccer, football, etc. These all are great ways to expose children to sports w/out long-term dedication. A week without any strings attached. Only downside is they tend to be expensive if you have more than one child and/or put the kid(s) in many of the programs. A few years back, the classes plus swimming I ended up spending about $500 over the summer. Crazy! My son's soccer, after registration, uniform, shoes, trophe, pictures, coach present, pizza party, and the snacks/drinks we all have to bring for the players, we'll end up spending like $250 or more.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I'll probably expose her to the things I did when I was little - ballet, swimming, gymnastics and music. My mom started me on piano lessons from age 3 and I got a tiny cello at age 5. Hehehehe, it looked like a big viola. My parents let me choose later on which one I liked more so I could focus on one but gosh, I miss cello! I did more stuff later on like tennis lessons and etc., But I think music will be a priority for us early on because it's so much fun - learning early on helps develop a good ear - for pitch, for melody and for "reading" music for different instruments. I hope she likes it but I won't push it on her!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bliss said:
I'll probably expose her to the things I did when I was little - ballet, swimming, gymnastics and music. My mom started me on piano lessons from age 3 and I got a tiny cello at age 5. Hehehehe, it looked like a big viola. My parents let me choose later on which one I liked more so I could focus on one but gosh, I miss cello! I did more stuff later on like tennis lessons and etc., But I think music will be a priority for us early on because it's so much fun - learning early on helps develop a good ear - for pitch, for melody and for "reading" music for different instruments. I hope she likes it but I won't push it on her!
And it does wonders for reading ability, too! I wish I had played an instrument when I was a child.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I signed A up for soccer at age 2. They had a program at the Y called Tiny Tots and basically, we met once a week for an hour to learn about kicking the ball back and forth, running around and kicking into the goal. There was no real game at that age, but it was fun (and a workout for me too since we did the drills with the kids!). Then when he was 4, we started him on our church league playing tball, basketball and soccer in different seasons. It was not much time commitment since it wasn't competitive, so they basically practiced for 30 minutes before a game on Saturday, so maybe an hour and a half each week. Oh and we took group swim lessons in the summer. So basically all year long, he had an activity, but only 1 day a week commitment. Now that he's 5, he practices 1 day per week and then has a game on the weekend. I refuse to overschedule him, so my thing is 1 activity at a time.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
J is 10 months so we don't know yet, but we do intend to start with swimming classes. He's very active, so I think it'll be important to have him do sports. We also don't want him in a gazillion activities at once, so we figure one sport and one art at a time, if he's interested. DH plays the flute and I play the trumpet (I learned to read music at age 5) so I would love to see him take up an instrument. Or dance. I always wanted to dance myself and love to watch male dancers, so I think that would be cool. In the end, though, no matter what I would like him to do, as long as he knows how to swim, the rest will be up to him.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'll follow her lead. Guess that is my parenting style. There is a ballroom dancing place by Trader Joe's and one day we walked past and the door was open, T was speechless. We went in and sat by the door and she was in love. Seriously. She loved watching the couples dance. After she felt more comfortable she got up and danced. I am going to put her in a dance class in January.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately we don't live close to any museums and our "digging sites" are for worms! We love living in a rural area, but sometimes, I wish we could have more access to events, etc.

Basic swimming lessons are non-negotiable. When I refer to "swim classes" I mean to learn the butterfly and all those types of strokes. Normal save-your-life swimming is as necessary as learning to cross a street.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think we'll push for anything specific, but between the hubby and I, we both have a myriad of hobbies we love and that we will expose our child to just because they are things we enjoy doing!

We both play instruments, we currently have: a piano, a chinese harp, 2 guitars, and Rock Band (which I realized isn't a real instrument, but we play it!)

We both do martial arts so chances are our kid will just learn along with us when they get old enough since we'll likely be practicing a lot in our exercise room at home.

I draw and paint, the hubby swims, and we've both had our stints at competitive games of one sort or another (chess, mathletes etc. Haha Haven, I will totally challenge you for the title of "nerdmom!"). I also have a mini library of books at this point and am an avid reader of all sorts of genres.

So I'm hoping our enthusiasm for the hobbies we love will rub onto our kids when they're young and get them interested in what mommy and daddy are doing, and we can do it as a big family!

But honestly, whatever hobby they are passionate about is fine by me. However I will likely institute a minimum time requirement for things that require lessons or team involvement just so they don't give up on new interests too easily.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
MakingTheGrade--If we lived near each other (and if I had children!) we could start a club--The Nerdmoms! It would be nerd heaven!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results