shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite thing to eat?

ean

Brilliant_Rock
I love to cook and have made it into a habit of cooking and mastering every single thing that my husband loves, so much so that he told me, “I hate that you cook so good, I’m not even looking forward to eating out anymore.” Lol

I’m asian and I grew up with a mom that is an amazing cook. We eat homecooked meals almost everyday. My husband on the other hand grew up eating kid cuisines, chicken nuggets, and spaghettios.

Anyway, I want to add some more recipes to my repertoire. Cooking is my love language. If you would be so kind to let me know your favorite food, perhaps attach a recipe and maybe tell a story behind it, I would love to try and cook it (as long as I can find the ingredients).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Fresh lobster tail with drawn butter.
2. That center gushy part of a perfectly-ripe honeydew melon.
3. My own home-made ice cream.

Sadly I only get #1 and #3 maybe once a year, if I'm lucky.

3215.jpg

Last edited:

ean

Brilliant_Rock
1. Fresh lobster tail with drawn butter.
2. That center gushy part of a perfectly-ripe honeydew melon.
3. My own home-made ice cream.

Sadly I only get 1 and 3 just once a year, if I'm lucky.

3215.jpg

Yum! Do you have any favorite ice cream flavors to make? I literally just got into Ice cream making. I have my ice cream base sitting in the fridge to chill overnight and I’m planning to make salt and straw’s sea salt caramel ribbon ice cream. Next might be taro or ube ice cream. Trying to keep it simple for now.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We also nearly always eat food that I make at home, completely from scratch.

If you like tabouleh, try my recipe with cranberries.
I've been fine-adjusting it for years.
I think it's finally ready to share.

Kenny’s Cranberry Tabouleh

Use real bulgur wheat. Bulgur wheat is pre-cooked, but cracked wheat is not.

The Ingredients:
1 cup bulgur wheat, sold in bulk at Winco, or packaged in supermarkets under the brand, “Bob’s Red Mill”
1 ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp (adjust to your heat preference) cayenne pepper
1 whole bulb garlic, or 1.5 Tbsp Costco Minced garlic
1 c water
3/4 cup dried cranberries, I use Ocean Spray “Craisins”
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime, but usually only have lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil (I prefer Extra Extra Virgin, but since I'm cheap I buy Slut Olive Oil)
1 bunch parsley, regular not Italian
1 bunch green onions, green and white parts
1/2 lb cucumbers, I Persians for crunchiness and lack of wax on skin - if I must use regular cucumber I peel and scoop out seeds with spoon
1 lb of tomatoes, my favorite are Cherry toms, next Romas

The work:
In a strainer rinse and drain bulgur wheat
In your largest mixing bowl combine well:
Bulgar wheat
Black pepper
Salt
Cayenne pepper

If not using minced garlic, finely chop an entire fresh bulb
On low heat warm a few Tbsp olive oil in a heavy skillet, then add garlic
Stirring constantly, simmer till lightly brown (watch closely because it burns suddenly)
Slowly stir in 1 cup room-temp water and dried cranberries
Raise heat, bring to boil, lower heat, simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally
Stir this into the bowl of bulgar wheat mixture
Let cool uncovered 30 minutes at room temp, stirring a couple times

Add:
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
Stir, cover tightly with plastic wrap, chill 1 hour in fridge

When it still has around 25 minutes remaining to chill, chop the following to the preferred size:
Parsley
Tomatoes - I prefer to wick out excess tomato moisture with paper towels after chopping.
Green onions - remove roots and green tips that are not perfect.
Cucumber, leave Persians unpeeled and unseeded, for regular cukes peel and scrape out seeds with spoon
Add all this to the wheat mixture, stir well

If desired season to taste with additional salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice or olive oil, but keep in mind if flavor seems harsh now the flavors will mellow and blend together overnight
Cover tightly with plastic wrap
Refrigerating overnight improves texture and flavor.

Optional: Before serving sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts, toasted sesame seeds, or toasted pine nuts.

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yum! Do you have any favorite ice cream flavors to make? I literally just got into Ice cream making. I have my ice cream base sitting in the fridge to chill overnight and I’m planning to make salt and straw’s sea salt caramel ribbon ice cream. Next might be taro or ube ice cream. Trying to keep it simple for now.

I only make vanilla, using one whole fresh vanilla bean, the ones in the glass tube from Madagascar or Tahiti.
I don't each much sugar so I keep it simple and make it very very rarely - which I find makes it more special and savored.
I use a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker like this.

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 8.48.09 PM.png

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Just a random amalgamation of my favorite delectable dishes :lickout:

- Crab leg dinner w/melted butter
- Tiramisu
- Key lime pie
- Chocolate turtle cheesecake
- Handmade artisanal pizza with prosciutto, pineapple, & mozzarella
- Filet mignon, cooked rare with twice baked potatoes & asparagus
- Tuna tartare
- Chicken tortilla soup with avocado, broken tortilla chips, cotija cheese, lime, & black beans
- A good cheddar broccoli soup with yummy homemade sour dough bread
- Green tea or Coffee ice cream
- Blue corn cheese enchiladas with hot green chile sauce, served with black beans, cotija cheese, & rice
- Real New England clam chowder
- Homemade sopapillas with fresh honey fed on mesquite bush
- Delicious cooked barbacoa with lime on flour tortillas
- My favorite fruits: pomegranate, mango, & lychee

Should I keep going?
Wow, I'm hungry now!

Last edited:

ean

Brilliant_Rock
We also nearly always eat food that I make at home, completely from scratch.

If you like tabouleh, try my recipe with cranberries.
I've been fine-adjusting it for years.
I think it's finally ready to share.

Kenny’s Cranberry Tabouleh

Use real bulgur wheat. Bulgur wheat is pre-cooked, but cracked wheat is not.

The Ingredients:
1 cup bulgur wheat, sold in bulk at Winco, or packaged in supermarkets under the brand, “Bob’s Red Mill”
1 ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1/8 to 1/4 tsp (adjust to your heat preference) cayenne pepper
1 whole bulb garlic, or 1.5 Tbsp Costco Minced garlic
1 c water
3/4 cup dried cranberries, I use Ocean Spray “Craisins”
1/4 cup lemon or lime juice (I prefer lime, but usually only have lemon)
1/4 cup olive oil (I prefer Extra Extra Virgin, but since I'm cheap I buy Slut Olive Oil)
1 bunch parsley, regular not Italian
1 bunch green onions, green and white parts
1/2 lb unpeeled Persian cucumbers (preferred) if using regular cucumber peel and scoop out seeds with spoon
1 lb of tomatoes

The work:
In a strainer rinse and drain bulgur wheat
In your largest mixing bowl combine well:
Bulgar wheat
Black pepper
Salt
Cayenne pepper

If not using minced garlic, finely chop an entire fresh bulb
On low heat warm a few Tbsp olive oil in a heavy skillet, then add garlic
Stirring constantly, simmer till lightly brown (watch closely because it burns suddenly)
Slowly stir in 1 cup room-temp water and dried cranberries
Raise heat, bring to boil, lower heat, simmer 5 minutes stirring occasionally
Stir this into the bowl of bulgar wheat mixture
Let cool uncovered 30 minutes at room temp, stirring a couple times

Add:
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup olive oil
Stir, cover tightly with plastic wrap, chill 1 hour in fridge

When it still has around 25 minutes remaining to chill, chop the following to the preferred size:
Parsley
Tomatoes
Green onions - remove roots and green tips that are not perfect.
Cucumber, leave Persians unpeeled and unseeded, for regular cukes peel and scrape out seeds with spoon
Add all this to the wheat mixture, stir well

If desired season to taste with additional salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice or olive oil, but keep in mind if flavor seems harsh now the flavors will mellow and blend together overnight
Cover tightly with plastic wrap
Refrigerating overnight improves texture and flavor.

Optional: Before serving sprinkle with chopped toasted walnuts, toasted sesame seeds, or toasted pine nuts.

This sounds amazing!!! Thank you for your recipe. What do you pair it with?

ean

Brilliant_Rock

- Tiramisu
- Key lime pie
- Tuna tartare
- Chicken tortilla soup with avocado, broken tortilla chips, cotija cheese, lime, & black beans
- Blue corn cheese enchiladas with hot green chile sauce, served with black beans, cotija cheese, & rice

Should I keep going?
Wow, I'm hungry now!

Ahh, a fellow pineapple on pizza lover. Haha! You and I seem to have VERY similar taste in food. Do go on...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This sounds amazing!!! Thank you for your recipe. What do you pair it with?

Usually nothing.
I just grab a bowl and munch away.
Nom nom nom. :P2

Of course tabouleh is great with pita and humus, and a bit of grilled chicken breast on the side.

Last edited:

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Usually nothing.
I just grab a bowl and munch away.
Nom nom nom. :P2

Of course tabouleh is great with grilled chicken breast, pita and humus.

Sounds like an amazing work lunch for me! Thank you for being so gracious! As a cook whenever I perfect a recipe sometimes it’s hard to let go of it. Thanks again!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider myself as a decent home cook, however I don't make anything too complicated, and love fine dining.

I bought a cook book called Dishoom, featuring dishes from the restaurant chain of the same name in UK, as I wanted to up my game on Indian cuisine.

I bought the spices required to make my own marinades and pastes from scratch when I decided to cook a few dishes from the book for a pop up kitchen event, and it was a game changer.

I highly recommend that cook book to anyone who loves to cook.

DK :))

Reactions: ean

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For my last meal on earth, I would choose from the following:

Starters of either pan-fried foie gras with caramelised fruit or snails in garlic butter

Main courses of confit de canard or steak tartare.

Dessert of créme brûleé or créme caramel.

DK :))

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love food so it is hard to choose one favorite.

Here are a few favorites.

Homemade by my DH the following:
Veggie Lasagna
Apple pie
Cheesecake
Grilled veggies
Grilled sweet potatoes

Made by me:
Big salad
I love love love a fresh big salad.
Popcorn

And
NY pizza.
Almost anywhere in NY you can find amazing pizza.

To name but a few.
I love food.

:)

pizzany.jpg

cheesecakebygreg.jpg

lasagnabygreg.jpg

applepiebeachhousenov2017.jpg sweetpotatoes.png

bigsalad.png

popcornbluebowl.png

Oh one more. Yummy PB bars. Oh so good.

pbbars.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So. Many. Things.

Like Kenny, the perfectly ripe piece of fruit is right up there, as is the perfect ear of corn. Speaking of which... Mexican Street Corn and Street Corn Salad.

Scallops, salmon, great fish and chips.

The standing rib roast we made for Christmas Eve. The roast pork tenderloin we had a few nights ago - with Julia Child’s Potatoes Dauphinoise - yum!

One of my favorite winter things is homemade chunky applesauce. I made about a gallon of it this morning: some for us, and some to give away. My secret ingredient is Bosc pears - they add great flavor and texture. We almost always have it on hand!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love every type of curry....Japanese curry, Thai curry (red, grean, panang), Indian curry, etc etc. I also love anything containing the curry spices, like curry chicken salad, curry ramen, curry meat pies.

Our family is also a pasta/noodle-loving family, so all noodle/pasta dishes from around the world are consumed almost daily. Also, having lived in a lot of different countries growing up, and having different cultural mixes, the food I make is usually 'Fusion' cuisine.

I consider myself an accomplished home cook, without professional training, I just watch a lot of food network cooking shows), so I don't really use recipes. All of my recipes are in my head...with a dash of this, and a handful of that. 3B7665CC-8B87-4FB8-BC73-E5A909790129.jpeg C1C758D8-FBA6-4A17-BCC6-E80CC593F51F.jpeg BBFF342E-C352-43E1-AF8A-9730099A8907.jpeg 47700476-EF35-42F5-9A8C-61A428ADB865.jpeg DBD536CF-5F57-4DAD-99A4-8B80AFB3E53B.jpeg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOVE rice noodles - especially Singapore rice noodles! I’ve never tried making them though - yet. I’ll get an order for dinner, and then pan-fry the leftovers for breakfast. I crack an egg or two into little depressions in the noodles, and bottom gets nice and crispy as the eggs cook. Yum!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
LOVE rice noodles - especially Singapore rice noodles! I’ve never tried making them though - yet. I’ll get an order for dinner, and then pan-fry the leftovers for breakfast. I crack an egg or two into little depressions in the noodles, and bottom gets nice and crispy as the eggs cook. Yum!

The rice noodles I posted were just regular Taiwanese style, but you have just given me the idea to make it Singapore style with curry powder....yum, another way to get my curry fix.

xsouzie

Shiny_Rock
Seafood boil, steamed Alaskan king crab legs dipped in melted butter, moules et frites (garlic butter mussels with french fries, coconut sticky rice with durian, pad see ew, tandoori chicken...I could go on...oh and I love salad too. I try to make some sort of salad at least once a week, usually Mondays.
Due to the pandemic, I've learned to make so much of the foods my DH likes including but not limited to char siu pork, ho fun noodles, braised spare ribs, Jamaican oxtail stew, brown stew chicken and roast pork belly.

Some of my salads..
IMG_20201228_2044006_2.jpg
IMG_20200908_2159349.jpg
IMG_20200810_2326118.jpg

IMG_20210104_2102277.jpg

Some other foods I like to make..
IMG_20201204_1948034.jpg

IMG_20200913_2122100_2.jpg

IMG_20200821_2150412 (1).jpg

IMG_20200827_2242355.jpg

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

- Tiramisu
- Key lime pie
- Tuna tartare

Should I keep going?
Wow, I'm hungry now!

Hi GarnetGirl :wavey: Would you mind sharing the recipe for the blue corn cheese enchiladas?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@jaysonsmom What's the dish with the shredded chicken, zucchini and carrots?

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
@jaysonsmom What's the dish with the shredded chicken, zucchini and carrots?

That is my noodle salad with peanut sauce. Cold noodles, with shredded chicken, carrots, cucumber, and sometimes bean sprouts if you want more crunch. The sauce is also homemade with peanut butter, garlic, lemon juice or rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, chili flakes.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@jaysonsmom That sounds delish!! I might try something like that with zucchini noodles.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Where to start? Fresh halibut or artic char or steelhead trout pan fried in burre blanc or just butter and capers. Prime rib or rib eye steak BBQ'd, or steak entrecote.

Spanakopita, asparagus souflee, tortilla bake, or just a perfect omelet. Home made pastry and chunky torchière. Honestly, the list is endless.

cheers--Sharon

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
out

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love to cook and have made it into a habit of cooking and mastering every single thing that my husband loves, so much so that he told me, “I hate that you cook so good, I’m not even looking forward to eating out anymore.” Lol

I’m asian and I grew up with a mom that is an amazing cook. We eat homecooked meals almost everyday. My husband on the other hand grew up eating kid cuisines, chicken nuggets, and spaghettios.

Anyway, I want to add some more recipes to my repertoire. Cooking is my love language. If you would be so kind to let me know your favorite food, perhaps attach a recipe and maybe tell a story behind it, I would love to try and cook it (as long as I can find the ingredients).

Cooking is my love language too. I communicate with my teens through food because we are not a physically affectionate family, and because I have been a career mom most of their lives, special dinners and holiday meals were when I connect with them.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
@123ducklings Yes to banana bread! Here's my go-to recipe:

I sub 1/2 of the sugar for Splenda, and 1/2 of the butter for unsweetened apple sauce, and you absolutely can't tell the difference. It's fantastic!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results