shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite fancy cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Ok all, since I have decided to go back to the drawing board with this whole stone purchase I am in a quandry as to my best bet on a stone choice. I love an RB of course, but if you had to choose your favorite fancy cut which would it be and why? There are a few new cuts out since I use to be a diamond consultant and I am thinking I might like a few, but want some opinions. Thanks in advance everyone!
wavey.gif

daboyzmomi

Shiny_Rock
Well heck, that didn't work out right! LOL! Anyways, just post your vote, seems my computer has decided to flub! Sorry guys! Thanks again!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Well to be perfectly honest, I love the old cuts, either, OEC, OMC or Transitional.

For moderns, I'd say Regent, and oddly enough oval.

win

Fancy

Shiny_Rock
For my hands (long and slender fingers), I got a PEAR .. and it looks like it was meant to be on my hand. But my second choice is a RADIANT, hands down. I LOVE the Radiant with either half moons or trillions on the side.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My all time favorite fancy cut would be a Radiant cut. Next would be a Flanders, then a Cushion, then an Asscher.
I like the Radiant, better than a princess cut because they have the cut corners, but if I did get one, it would have to be as close to a perfect square as possible. I don't like rectangular shapes.
As a matter of fact, I had original planned to get a square radiant with two trapezoids on either side, until I found out about H&A's. I even remember the info on the one I had picked, a 1.37 D VS1 Radiant GIA certified from Whiteflash.
I wound up with a 2.03 G VS1 ACA H&A. Funny how things change.
2.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
I love my princess diamond rings but lately I'm into emerald and asscher cuts. I think emerald cut eternity bands look amazing.

kseagren

Rough_Rock
hey there everyone,

my favorite fancy cut, which I have for my e-ring, is an 1.50 oval diamond. it is my favorite because it is similar to the RB, yet has more of a soft quality to it.
as far as picking out a fancy for yourself, you need to ask yourself what kind of look you are going for. a oval does not have any sharp edges, it is more soft. whereas a marquis, emerald, and princess cuts have more precise, sharp qualities to them with their edges. it's all about what appeals to you most (and what might look best on the person wearing it)! take care.

Kristy

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
My favorite common fancy cut is the emerald. I love the mesmerizing mirror effect of a gorgeous emerald, and the way it draws you deep inside its depths. However, I don't like square emeralds, and though I admire them, the Royal Asscher actually leaves me cold. Go figure.

For less common fancies, I, like Winyan, like the older cuts. I also like the Regent.

I used to like princesses and ovals, but I've gotten tired of them. Radiants I've never liked--they look too "messy" for me--and I'm not a big pear or marquise fan either.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Regents if you are going for a more modern look, but I really love the Cushion Cut stones....esp in larger sizes
1.gif
I'm not a princess fan or a marquis fan...I've tried on ovals and just don't like the way they look...almost like they were supposed to be round and someone screwed up.
sick.gif
I also like the OECs and OMCs as well--alot of the older cuts have so much character....since many of the fancy cut stones do not exhibit the same great light return that a well cut round would...if I was going for a fancy--chances are I would go for something like an old stone that would not have that excellent light return but was not meant to. I would be disappointed with a modern stone that was not as well-cut as a round could be. I think the exception for me would be something like a Regent shape...with great light return. Diane's stone is lovely in the pictures!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... tough question. I like the rose cuts so much that I strongly believe I would never buy any other kind of diamnd cut (maybe an even simpler table cut if I ever find a good one?) I am having a nearly perfect, uncut macle set... so no cut at all there). I admit however that my taste is not really mainstream
2.gif

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the old cushion cut stones that have outstanding fire, the 2nd favorite is the Radiant cut. I know, not very brilliant and somewhat messy looking, but I just love it anyway. Almost got that instead of my new stone, but fell for the H&A look.
10.gif

Beansy

Shiny_Rock
My favorite is a stone that hasn't even been born to the world yet...the new isee2 square. I have heard it will be like a dream cut, though. Next would be the spring cut, I haven't even seen that either, but a good mix of radiant and emerald. Can't wait to see that one too.

What a fun post!

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
My favourite shape (next to the round) would be an emerald cut. In fact, the emerald cut is a very, very close second to the round for me.
1.gif
When we first began discussing engagement rings, I actually felt that I wanted an EC - but changed my mind when I realized that I really wanted a more fiery stone.

I also like the Regent, and ovals. My least favourite shapes (not that you asked) would have to be the marquise and the princess cut. The princess is a nice shape, but I have a feeling that it might look somewhat dated in years to come.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
So my favorite is the Regent (cushion)(obviously
10.gif
), I also like the old mine, oval, and round

I like some of the other new squares, eg Flanders, Queen of Hearts...but they are just to...well...square for my taste

Pears are okay, Emerald ok and the aschers ok

I don;t like princess or marquise

Mara my stone looks even better in person...it is really cool to see the display of little rainbows it gives off
10.gif

detta

Rough_Rock
I like traditional cuts. The emerald is my favorite. Although I admire the princess, regent, asscher, etc., I think they are trendy and worry that I would tire of them in 5 years. Just my opinion.
wink2.gif

Bagpuss

Brilliant_Rock
For rings:
I love OEC's best, but I'm not fond of the old mine cut shape - too indistinct for my taste. I also really like the Queen's cut (still round, I know, but lots more facets than a standard RB)

I also really like asschers - they seem to have the best characteristics of a princess and an emerald melded in one stone.

For pendants:
I think ovals and pears look best, plus the Flanders (however when the Flanders is prong set it looks very like a RB).

I can't say I'm that fond of any of the other cuts.

I've seen a new shape diamond - a hexagonal - it looks really cool loose, but I haven't seen it set yet so I don't know if it will look very different to a RB.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 10/5/2003 12:41:35 PM Bagpuss wrote:

For rings:
I've seen a new shape diamond - a hexagonal yet I don't know if it will look very different to a RB.----------------

Hi!
Your above quoted sentence made me really curious! What is this 'hexgonal' cut? Oh, a link to some referenec would really be greately appreciated...
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results