shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite diamond of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, I''d like to hear about everyone''s favorite diamond ever. Tell about your fav shape/cut, etc. Post pics if you can. Thanks!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 45.5 carat Hope.
Fancy dark greyish blue, with strong red fluorescence
VS1

cursed1.jpg

hope diamond
The history of the stone which was eventually named the Hope diamond began when the French merchant traveller, Jean Baptiste Tavernier, purchased a 112 3/16-carat diamond. This diamond, which was most likely from the Kollur mine in Golconda, India, was somewhat triangular in shape and crudely cut. Its color was described by Tavernier as a "beautiful violet."

In the pendant surrounding the Hope diamond are 16 white diamonds, both pear-shapes and cushion cuts. A bail is soldered to the pendant where Mrs. McLean would often attach other diamonds including the McLean diamond and the Star of the East. The necklace chain contains 45 white diamonds.

HOPE1.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For me personally it is the bright Fancy Intense yellow that I sold to my father-in-law for his wife in 1976. It is a marquise cut with no bow tie and no less a dignitary than Stephan Hofer, author of the huge book "Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds" some 742 pages and several pounds of wonderful photographs of diamonds, told me that it was one of the finest true yellow diamonds that he had ever seen.

My wife inherited the diamond when her mother passed away and it is one of her most prized possessions. Not quite a carat and a half, but so stunning that people will walk accross a room to ask to see it. It is set in a simple bypass type ring with a six prong head and no side diamonds, it simply does not need them.

It is the family history that makes it so special for me, as I have been fortunate to have been connected with it and to share its beauty with my family.

Wink

Sorry, no pictures to share, just the story...

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine would be my .62 pear that my husband proposed to me with. It may not be huge or perfect, but he picked it out all by himself and I love it! I will never part with it!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My all-time top 3 favorites are:
1. The marquise that Mia Farrow wore in the film "The Great Gatsby". (This film is a must see for jewelry lovers - Cartier supplied all of the jewelry.)
2. Liz Taylor''s 33.19 Asscher, which is called the Krupp Diamond. I''ve seen it in person twice, and no picture has ever really captured its fire.
3. The Duchess of Windsor''s 31.26 carat D, VS2, type IIA cushion cut stone - again, no picture has done it justice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven''t seen all the famous diamonds, but one that stands out to me on here is one apparently cut by Antique Diamond Gem:

DiaGemOMC1c.jpg

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Guess my favorite is "Camille"

Camille is a Chameleon Diamond in the Rockdoc collection that changes from bright yellow to oiive green. The changes starts immediately, and take about 15 minutes to change completely to the dark green color.

She is a VS-1 clarity, and makes a very intense change. She is 0.59 carats.

Marty Haske ( AdamasGem)
Richard Sherwood

all have recently seen it. Some of Rockdoc''s in person visitors have seen it as well.

Robert Crowningsheild also remarked on it, as well as Tom Tashey who saw it a few years ago.

Probably the most recent consumer who got to see her that writes on the forum was Star Struck

Photgraphing it in the unstable color I''ve tried but keeping it in the yellow color is too tricky for me to do.

I do like the Eugenie Blue which is on display at the Smithsonian. It is a much purer blue than the Hope, but isn''t as famous, but it should be.

Rockdoc

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2007 1:48:03 PM
Author: Wink
For me personally it is the bright Fancy Intense yellow that I sold to my father-in-law for his wife in 1976. It is a marquise cut with no bow tie and no less a dignitary than Stephan Hofer, author of the huge book ''Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds'' some 742 pages and several pounds of wonderful photographs of diamonds, told me that it was one of the finest true yellow diamonds that he had ever seen.

My wife inherited the diamond when her mother passed away and it is one of her most prized possessions. Not quite a carat and a half, but so stunning that people will walk accross a room to ask to see it. It is set in a simple bypass type ring with a six prong head and no side diamonds, it simply does not need them.

It is the family history that makes it so special for me, as I have been fortunate to have been connected with it and to share its beauty with my family.

Wink

that''s a really nice story wink :) I like the one about the diamond you got for your wife when you were just starting out... a pink I think? The one you got for next to a steal?

I''d love it if you''d take some pics of these and share not as a tradesman but as a husband :)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock

wifey2b

Brilliant_Rock
I love my first e-ring, but I think I would have to say my favorite is my second one...the story of the love and support of so many behind it is just so special making the ring very special to me. The ring can be seen in SMTR under the topic She Said Yes Again! Everytime I think about it I get all sappy so will quit before everyone is like oh no not again - giggle :}

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
Can it be a fictional diamond? My favorite was the blue diamond that belonged to Stephen Maturin''s wife Diana in the Patrick O''Brien "Master and Commander" series of books. The stories were set in the early 1800''s and I always like to imagine that it was cut from the larger diamond that yielded the Hope diamond.
She loved it so much that in the story she insisted on being buried wearing it. And her husband honored her wish so it disappeared from (fictional) history.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all so much for the wonderful replies. I loved them! I''d also like to know your favorite piece of jewelry that you own. I have seen some of the neatest things on this site!!!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
imthepreacherswife, your avatar is so sweet. tell us about it...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i don''t think i have any ONE favorite diamond, but i absolutely adore the argyle pinks i saw recently on a tv show about diamonds....they were all on a table as buyers checked them out and they had some of the prettiest most intense colors i have seen.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 9:33:30 PM
Author: Mara
i don''t think i have any ONE favorite diamond, but i absolutely adore the argyle pinks i saw recently on a tv show about diamonds....they were all on a table as buyers checked them out and they had some of the prettiest most intense colors i have seen.
I saw that too. I just about died. I would LOVE to have a pink diamond. I don''t think I have seen one IRL. I''m sure I''d remember it if I did. Anyway, one day I''d love to own one. Doesn''t have to be big, small would do just fine!!!!!
31.gif

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
Why thank you my dear! Those 2 are my babies! The pic is from last May when my oldest got married. My youngest cried more than all of us put together because she didn''t want to lose her sister, they are so close. I burst with pride, thanks for asking.
P.S. They are much more pleasant to look at than a pic of me...lol.

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
The Steinmetz Pink
was first unveiled in Monaco in May, 2003, and briefly worn around the neck of supermodel Helena Christensen, the gem was discovered in southern Africa and is the largest Fancy Vivid Pink diamond known in the world. Pink diamonds are extremely rare and usually found in much, much smaller sizes. The Steinmetz Pink weighs 59.60 carats and has been graded as Internally Flawless

aa3.jpg

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
An Unnamed 81.21-carat Emerald Cut

D Color VS1 Clarity

eet.jpg

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
Okay, Kaleigh, more then! I hope you all don't mind me highjacking this thread. I'm having so much fun! I'm on winter break from school and therefore have time to do this, lol.

A classic, the Taylor-Burton
69.42 Carats, color: F-G, clarity: IF, cut: Pear-shape

tu.jpg

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
The Graff Pink Supreme

10.83-carat pink pear-shaped diamond It is Internally Flawless

aamn.jpg

Fashionvictim

Shiny_Rock
The Star of America

The Star of America is the largest Asscher cut D-color Flawless diamond in the world. 100.57 ct

ffh.jpg

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 1/3/2007 2:29:14 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 1/2/2007 1:48:03 PM

Author: Wink

For me personally it is the bright Fancy Intense yellow that I sold to my father-in-law for his wife in 1976. It is a marquise cut with no bow tie and no less a dignitary than Stephan Hofer, author of the huge book ''Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds'' some 742 pages and several pounds of wonderful photographs of diamonds, told me that it was one of the finest true yellow diamonds that he had ever seen.

Wink

that''s a really nice story wink :) I like the one about the diamond you got for your wife when you were just starting out... a pink I think? The one you got for next to a steal?

I''d love it if you''d take some pics of these and share not as a tradesman but as a husband :)

Actually the one you are thinking of is a light blue diamond of .95cts. It is nice, and it is her other favorite. Colored diamonds are special to both of us...

Wink

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Drip, drip, drip....
3.gif
Wonderful pics and stories here!

My favorite diamond is of course, my own 1.5 J, SI...but my favorite piece of jewelry is a yg charm bracelet I''ve been adding to since my parents started it for me upon my college graduation. It''s a piece that has been thoughtfully added to by family and loved ones for 6 years and counting now, and I hope to fill it and pass it on one day. As a girl, I loved my grandmother''s charm bracelet which was semi-filled with 3D charms from far-away places and wonderful stories. Never had much interest in her diamonds, lovely as they are...I''m far more into jewelry and diamonds for the sentiment rather than the perfection of the pieces or stones.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, they are all gorgeous.

I really like Grace Kelly and Princess Soraya''s rings. I saw some amazing stones in London in Graff, just incredible, like a 45 carat D IF asscher cut, I have never seen jewels like this in my entire life. Necklaces, rings, earrings, you name it, all just stunning.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 10:26:32 PM
Author: Fashionvictim
The Graff Pink Supreme

10.83-carat pink pear-shaped diamond It is Internally Flawless
Okey doke, that is breathtaking!!! Thanks Fashionvictim!!!!
36.gif
ETA: glad you are on break from school, tell us what you are studying?? My daughter goes back to school on Friday. And tell us about your screen name??

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/3/2007 9:39:38 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 1/3/2007 9:33:30 PM
Author: Mara
I saw that too. I just about died. I would LOVE to have a pink diamond. I don''t think I have seen one IRL. I''m sure I''d remember it if I did. Anyway, one day I''d love to own one. Doesn''t have to be big, small would do just fine!!!!!
31.gif
when I was at shane co I spoke with one of the mgrs there who used to be a GIA grader...anyway, her e-ring was amazing! It was a 1 carat RB flanked by two 1/3 carat argyle diamonds... I asked her about them and asked if they were pink diamonds and then asked if they were argyle diamonds and she was impressed - said most people didn''t know what they were... I told her I was sure the two smaller ones cost more than the rest of the ring combined and she grinned and nodded... but the story was even better - she and her husband were down in australia vacationing when he proposed and they picked the matched pair out and brougt them home - she desiged and made her entire ring but was too nervous to set the stones so she asked a friend to do it. The whole thing was jt so sweet :) They were very bright pink, a hard to describe color.... hot pink with just a tinge of thistle or something.... I wish I had a pic!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results