shape
carat
color
clarity

What is your favorite cut diamond?

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
It's too hard to choose just one! I love OEC, OMC, asschers, and emerald cuts (particularly nice, fat antique ones!). I wouldn't turn away a transitional either :lol-2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald cut, and I prefer the slightly leaner ones than chubbier ones.

Closely followed by OEC.

DK :))

Piper70

Shiny_Rock
Hi, my name is Piper, and I do not like MRB.
Gasp! I know this is an unpopular view but I also noticed that not many people chose it as their favorite. I see the appeal in studs or bracelets but would choose something else for a solitaire. My FY cushion is my favorite but if I was shopping, I would be looking for an emerald cut or an OEC. @missy ’s ring is the stuff that dreams are made of. I have a tiny vintage oec but have not seen any larger in person.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi, my name is Piper, and I do not like MRB.
Gasp! I know this is an unpopular view but I also noticed that not many people chose it as their favorite. I see the appeal in studs or bracelets but would choose something else for a solitaire. My FY cushion is my favorite but if I was shopping, I would be looking for an emerald cut or an OEC. @missy ’s ring is the stuff that dreams are made of. I have a tiny vintage oec but have not seen any larger in person.

You made me laugh with your first sentence! :lol-2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Round brilliant hands down! My fingers are short so the elongated diamonds just don’t look right on me. I admire all cuts and goodness knows we have quite a variety here on PS but for me it is a super ideal round cut diamond! My ering feels sort of like a kaleidoscope for me - I love looking into the facets and its perfect symmetry.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
I love almost every cut of diamond, but am most partial to old cuts and emerald cuts.

I would love to collect more shapes like duchess cut and moval.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is so much fun seeing all the different cuts that people love!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love all cuts and would take any given to me but if I had to chose one it would be round brilliant.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
My newest fascination diamond wise is the Jubilee cut. I don't forsee me actually obtaining one, as they seem to be rather obscure. But cha never know! Maybe @RetroQT will bore with hers one day ;-)

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fun thread @MamaBee! I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses.

I admire all shapes, and I'm drawn to marquise...I came close to buying a vintage marquise from the 1920's from Victor Barbone, the setting was amazing. It was an H color too. I still think about that ring lol. For my final big purchase (and I really think I mean this :D) I considered other shapes...EC, oval, pear, marquise. I do think elongated shapes are flattering on the hand...but at the end of the day I think my true love is round/OEC and that's what I went for. I just love the sparkle of the round shape. I do also have a square AVC that I love.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fun thread @MamaBee! I'm enjoying reading everyone's responses.

I admire all shapes, and I'm drawn to marquise...I came close to buying a vintage marquise from the 1920's from Victor Barbone, the setting was amazing. It was an H color too. I still think about that ring lol. For my final big purchase (and I really think I mean this :D) I considered other shapes...EC, oval, pear, marquise. I do think elongated shapes are flattering on the hand...but at the end of the day I think my true love is round/OEC and that's what I went for. I just love the sparkle of the round shape. I do also have a square AVC that I love.

@junebug It is a fun to see what everyone‘s choices are. I think if I narrowed it down to having to pick just one shape..or one ring out of your collection..what would you pick? Let’s say you had to leave your house and not come back due to some emergency. You could only grab one ring..what would you choose. I find that really difficult. For one thing it’s the cost..My ACA is the most expensive..next is my emerald cut three stone, etc. I would cry leaving Bee behind..but she’s nowhere close in price to Winter or Emmy. It would interesting to see how others would make that decision. Would you go with your heart and not worry about the money? I’m not talking about a small difference in price..I’m talking a large difference.. It would be painful for me to do that..I would take Winter..only because of the price..which probably makes me shallow..:( I would be inconsolable for a long time for sure..

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@junebug It is a fun to see what everyone‘s choices are. I think if I narrowed it down to having to pick just one shape..or one ring out of your collection..what would you pick? Let’s say you had to leave your house and not come back due to some emergency. You could only grab one ring..what would you choose. I find that really difficult. For one thing it’s the cost..My ACA is the most expensive..next is my emerald cut three stone, etc. I would cry leaving Bee behind..but she’s nowhere close in price to Winter or Emmy. It would interesting to see how others would make that decision. Would you go with your heart and not worry about the money? I’m not talking about a small difference in price..I’m talking a large difference.. It would be painful for me to do that..I would take Winter..only because of the price..which probably makes me shallow..:( I would be inconsolable for a long time for sure..

Not shallow at all! I would grab the uninsured ones :lol:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not shallow at all! I would grab the uninsured ones :lol:

I thought about that! Haha My insurance company doesn’t give you the money..They give you a like kind diamond..Sure! It would be nowhere like our ACAs..

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought about that! Haha My insurance company doesn’t give you the money..They give you a like kind diamond..Sure! It would be nowhere like our ACAs..

Do you have Jewelers Mutual? My appraisal specifies ACA so that is what replacement would be. At least I thought so!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have Jewelers Mutual? My appraisal specifies ACA so that is what replacement would be. At least I thought so!

No..I have USAA. I insisted that it was described as A Cut Above super ideal..I don’t trust that will work.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EC's - but I like the ones with the softer corners (ie smaller) and pillowy tops - anything up to around 7-8ct.

OECs - but mostly between 1.5 and 1.8ct - preferably halo'd.

Cushions - but only old cut. 5ct would be perfect.

Pears. Oh lordy - I am SO developing a passion for pears!! 1.5ct and above - again - halo'd would be perfect.

ETA Crown of Light rounds. Those things are SPECTACULAR.

And - lastly (I think - tho don't be surprised if I'm back again!!) - anything cut by Yoram.

So. What do I have?? MRB's - of course. And lots of them.

Hmmmm....something is wrong here.... :mrgreen:

@MamaBee - I just edited the heck out of my list, so thought I'd link you in case you actually *do* want to see what I love the best!

And now, OF COURSE, I am going off to look for my dream diamond!!

Last edited:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All antique cuts, but especially OMCs.
Modern cut favourite is emerald (step cut).

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oooh, good question @MamaBee! For me, I think it would be my newest ring, and probably because it's the biggest - now THAT'S shallow LOL! But seriously, I also think it's the prettiest diamond I own, and I love the setting. I would definitely miss my other rings though.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love Bella, but I definitely wouldn’t say no to a big emerald or radiant cut.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine would be emerald cuts.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice big French cut.

Attachments

• F7935A69-9DCF-4F9F-88A2-C017D99F0B1A.jpeg
    F7935A69-9DCF-4F9F-88A2-C017D99F0B1A.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 8

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooh…They’re beautiful..I don’t have any French cuts..:think:

Neither do I ;( they tend to be pricey and hard to find in a larger size. While a big diamond French cut is out of reach for me, I am considering starting a big French cut moissanite project at the end of the year. Hopefully that will scratch the itch!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results