shape
carat
color
clarity

What is transitional cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is an RB and a transitional model with the exact same crown and pavilion angles and table size.

rbvsTR.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This image shows the fire difference in a thousands of points of light view. (Similar but not the same as Marty lighting)
Notice the Transitional has fewer but larger fire patches.

rbvsTR1.jpg

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
karl,

thank you for the two new photos comparisons. they are great.

you are always so helpful!!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl,

Is there a definite preference of the consumers for modern RB? I am wondering because from what I understand, there seems to be a trend towards larger LGF, from transitional to modern RB, but from the point of weight retention and cutters, shouldn''t a lower LGF meant greater weight from the rough?

Cutters should not have a preference for larger LGF unless driven by consumers market, if I am reading that correctly.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 12:09:37 AM
Author: strmrdr
This image shows the fire difference in a thousands of points of light view. (Similar but not the same as Marty lighting)
Karl, does the software allow you to make changes to the graphic?

Most of the transitional stones I've seen have a smaller culet, which seems to increase the 'chunky' look.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 9:09:38 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Karl,

Is there a definite preference of the consumers for modern RB? I am wondering because from what I understand, there seems to be a trend towards larger LGF, from transitional to modern RB, but from the point of weight retention and cutters, shouldn''t a lower LGF meant greater weight from the rough?

Cutters should not have a preference for larger LGF unless driven by consumers market, if I am reading that correctly.
Changes in indoor lighting from low soft lighting to brighter harsher lighting drove the change to the modern RB.
It also made the princess cut possible.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 10:16:39 AM
Author: Allison D.
Date: 1/26/2009 12:09:37 AM

Karl, does the software allow you to make changes to the graphic?

Most of the transitional stones I''ve seen have a smaller culet, which seems to increase the ''chunky'' look.

Yes I can change it anyway needed, I kept the culet pointed as to point out the changes in lgf% made without adding another variable.
There were transitional cuts with no culet cut but they are rather rare(I have seen photos of one) as it was thought to help prevent breakage to polish them down.

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 10:33:21 AM

Karl,

could you please explain why?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 10:37:53 AM
Author: Eva17
Date: 1/26/2009 10:33:21 AM

Karl,

could you please explain why?

tiny virtual facets don''t work well in candle and lamp light because of the small light gathering area.

This will tell you what virtual facets are:

http://journal.pricescope.com/Articles/61/1/Virtual-Facets-and-patterns%2c-a-Discussion-about-step-cuts-.aspx

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great photos and explaination. I''ve never been able to see much of a difference between RBs and Transitions, still not sure if I could but this does help.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
woops see below...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
With a princess cuts the virtual facets I pointed to are the largest virtual facets they are fairly small and few in number.
These are the facets other than glare that are most likely to return light in dim soft lighting.
Brighter and more direct light allows the smaller virtual facets to work.

princessVF.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
With a RB there are to many larger virtual facets to draw arrows to but you can see it has many larger virtual facets than the princess cut and the largest are much larger.

tolkRBVF.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the virtual facets for a transitional with the same angles as the rb above.
It has fewer total virtual facets than the princess or the RB but they are much larger.

transVF.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the oec virtual facets they are similar to the transitional cut with variations in locations and size but overall they would have similar performance in dim soft lighting.
This one I added a large culet which is the circle in the center and you can see its 8 reflections also(arrows point to the reflections).
This is a good demonstration how the facets interact to create virtual facets.
1 culet interacts to create 8 virtual facets.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
forgot the image...

oecVF1.jpg

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
i love the images of the transitional and the oec.

especially when you see the virtual cutlet reflections.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This image brings it all together and shows the effects of the virtual facets and how the light is split up in different ways.

rbvsTR1vsPR.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Karl, thanks for the wonderful explanation and demonstration.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 5:28:05 PM
This image brings it all together and shows the effects of the virtual facets and how the light is split up in different ways.

How cool Storm--thank you for the visual explanation! The transitional facet pattern is my favorite, and I must say live and in person, my new trans blow my ideal cut out of the water.

Storm, I have a question:

I did a visual estimation of the crown and pavilion angles on these transitionals. (pictured below) I overestimated at first--on the crowns(thought they were shallower, but on closer examination, they appear to range from 32 to 34.5ish The pavilion angles are around 40.8 and the tables are each around or above 60%. (larger than I normally prefer.)

These stones display more fire and brilliance than my ACA--34.6ca, 40.7pa, 57.1-table.

I''m curious about the fire, because of the larger tables and slightly shallower crowns. I took into consideration that I might be distracted by larger flashes of fire, but I don''t think that''s the case. Any thoughts?

tran88.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 6:29:04 PM
Author: coatimundi

How cool Storm--thank you for the visual explanation! The transitional facet pattern is my favorite, and I must say live and in person, my new trans blow my ideal cut out of the water.

I did a visual estimation of the crown and pavilion angles on these transitionals. (pictured below) I overestimated at first--on the crowns(thought they were shallower, but on closer examination, they appear to range from 32 to 34.5ish The pavilion angles are around 40.8 and the tables are each around or above 60%. (larger than I normally prefer.)

These stones display more fire and brilliance than my ACA--34.6ca, 40.7pa, 57.1-table.

I''m curious about the fire, because of the larger tables and slightly shallower crowns. I took into consideration that I might be distracted by larger flashes of fire, but I don''t think that''s the case. Any thoughts?
Coati- this doesn''t answer your question at all, but I just wanted to point out how the actual picture of your center stone reflect precisely the diagrams Karl posted!!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
What a great thread!

I thought I''d add a couple of pictures of my late-1920s transitional cut.

tcdorothy6.jpg

tcdorothy7.JPG

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 6:42:27 PM
Author: glitterata
What a great thread!

I thought I''d add a couple of pictures of my late-1920s transitional cut.

tcdorothy6.jpg

tcdorothy7.JPG

look at that beautiful pattern and those colors in your bottom pix!!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Oooh Karl that is so helpful!
You rock!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2009 6:29:04 PM
Author: coatimundi

It all depends on the lighting.
The amount of fire is more dependent on the lgf% than the crown height with RB style diamonds.
With fancies the crown height is much more important.
The amount of obstruction can change the relative appearance of brilliance.
That is to huge a topic for this thread and this time of night.
Without seeing them side by side at different distances it is hard to say what you are seeing.
I would bet though that you would find lighting and distance where they swap places as to brilliance and fire.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 1:13:00 AM
The amount of fire is more dependent on the lgf% than the crown height with RB style diamonds.
That should say style and apparent amount.
A higher crown can shift a RB towards the fire side but doesn''t change the overall appearance as much as changes to the lgf%
As you can see below moving from a TIC to a FIC there are relatively small changes to the virtual facets compared to going from the tic to a transitional shown earlier.

ticVSficVF.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
This combo with a 65% lgf%

trans2.jpg

Reactions: prs

K9

Brilliant_Rock
FABULOUS! Thank you so much for continuing to post on this!!! The images are very helpful!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is not that far behind a ideal cut RB in light return and in some lighting will beat it.
But the RB will likely be better balanced across multiple lighting conditions.
That is not to say you wouldn''t prefer the trans even when it technically isn''t performing at as high a level as the RB.

trans31.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2009 11:40:23 AM
Date: 1/27/2009 1:13:00 AM

That should say style and apparent amount.

A higher crown can shift a RB towards the fire side but doesn''t change the overall appearance as much as changes to the lgf%

As you can see below moving from a TIC to a FIC there are relatively small changes to the virtual facets compared to going from the tic to a transitional shown earlier.

The FIC in your rendering has a slightly smaller pa and slightly shorter lgfs. This type of analysis is making more sense to me vs. the smaller table higher crown idea. I studied 200 rbs in class for fire and brilliance--not as many as you, of course :)--but enough to see that smaller table-higher crown did not always produce more fire by default.

Now, as I pay more attention to lgfs, I''m seeing new things.

I''m going to snap some comparison shots in various lighting conditions--will post later. The ACA has 78% lgfs, and I have a much larger rb that has 80% lgfs with a 40.8pa and 34.1ca with a 57%table--that is very firey.

Thanks for your response Storm!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results