shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the sweetest thing your SO ever did for you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) every weekday morning without fail, he gets up before me and texts a sweet message just so I'd have something to look forward to when I wake up

2) when I got sick he said he'd rather get sick with me and stay in bed with me than stay away

3) he doesn't cook, has refused to learn cooking from his mom, yet when I was sick with the flu he wanted to take care of me and cook the ginger scallion noodles that I had cooked for him when he was sick

So sweet! Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with your SO with us. Heartwarming.

Lots of things such as giving me red roses last week. :) The things I like best are the things he does without telling me. For instance- I mention I need to clean up the yard (freezing cold) after the dogs and the next day I go to do it and it is already done. Or that I can't tell him if someone has hurt my feelings because he will confront that person- even if that person is our friend. I think the reason I love him so much is that he is on my team 24/7. It is comforting to be able to tell your spouse "I really messed up" and have them search for a solution with you instead of laying blame.

Yes! That's true love. On the same team 24/7 no matter what. Unconditional love and support. Actions speak so much louder than any words. Wonderful. True love. He is your soft pillow where you can safely fall knowing it will be OK. That is everything. In a harsh cold often cruel world knowing you have your special person there for you no matter what. Even when we mess up knowing they will be there for us not assigning blame but looking for ways to make it better. That is truly everything.

@missy , thank you for your kind words. In a way I feel like I can understand why my mum did what she did since my grandma was also abusive and she didn't know better. I am very fortunate that I met my dh and because of his love and support he's helped me gently uncover and heal these parts of my life.

I have lurked on and off and always noticed how much of a team and what a loving relationship you have with your Dh. I am so happy for you! It's truly a blessing.

Aww, thank you @Alexiszoe I appreciate that. Yes, I feel as we are a team. Dealing with life's challenges together. The true test of any relationship right? I mean, when life is easy and sweet any couple can do well together but the true test is when life throws its many curveballs. And let's face it, there have been many many challenges in the past few decades but I agree. Dealing with the good and bad together is what makes it manageable and even makes the tough times somewhat sweet. Glad you have that too. It is a blessing indeed.

Once my late partner took me to a city near where we lived, without telling me why we were going there, and took me to a newly opened Wagamama restaurant, much to my delight, as I had no long relocated from London and missed their food (I used to live within 5min's walk to its first and original branch in London).

That was a very kind and sweet gesture.

DK :))

yes very kind and loving. I am glad you had that in your life @dk168. (((Hugs))).

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was kidding before..My husband is a true gentleman. He’s not very romantic though except for recently taking me to see a group that played our song when we were dating..He won’t let me carry anything too heavy because he knows my back gives me trouble. He vacuums out the dog hair from my car for me after I take Bailey on our weekend trips to Maryland. He hates to do it but does it for me anyway. He sometimes suggests we go out to eat so I don’t have to cook for the crew. I notice that when we get in the car he puts the heat on my seat because of my back. He listens to me drone on about bling which he could care less about...but loves that it makes me happy. If I mention a symptom that worries me he insists I get checked..He always says he hopes he goes first because he couldn’t live without me. He’s not a talker..but I know he loves me very much..It’s comforting to me and makes me feel very grateful.

True love. One doesn't have to be romantic to show his/her love and he shows it to you in many ways. You are a great couple Joanne and you make a wonderful team! (((Hugs))).

My DH just moved house for us over 2 days while I was away for work this week.
We bought a house where we settled last Friday and our buyer wanted to move in Wednesday just gone. So there was a monumental amount of work.
I'd done a lot of the packing but as always, there's so much to do in the last couple of days and he did it all without (too much) complaint :kiss2:

Yasss! He is a keeper. Moving is not fun and packing up even less fun. Your DH rocks!
And that does show how much he loves you.

He loves me for everything I am, both good and bad. I don't think it gets sweeter than that!

Sweet indeed. And that is true love. Not just accepting the not great qualities but loving them because he loves you. True love.

My SO and I were originally a long-distance couple. We met 4.5 years ago, when he was 22 and I was 21. He was in Sydney on holiday for 3 weeks post-graduation. He’s from the UK but was living in Dubai at the time. Long story short, we did LDR for a few months before he came to do a masters here.

He’s now living and working in Sydney permanently. His career has taken a bit of a hit (he was offered a very good role in Dubai) but he doesn’t care. He’s uprooted everything to be here, away from family, friends... pretty much everything he’s ever known. We’ll probably move to the UK once he’s got citizenship so I’ll feel less guilty then.

We’re not big on PDA, but even though we live together we still commute into work together, and have lunch everyday. We’re very lucky.

Love how that worked out and all those years of woking your relationship long distance paid off. Happy you are together now and happy you have such a wonderful man in your life as he as a wonderful woman in his and you are sharing it all together no matter what changes come your way. Wishing you the best of luck with wherever you decide to move.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Always leaves me small love notes. Tucks them away so I find them at random times. In my laptop bag, my suitcase, in a book I’m reading in a pocket of my jacket. I never know when I will find one. They are always a nice surprise with a sweet message. Cost, next to nothing...meaning...priceless. :kiss2:

Aww love that. You married a prince and he married a princess and you two are the most loving sweet couple. True love.

When I was going through chemotherapy - he sat with me while I was getting the "cocktail" brought me home and sat with me while I vomited and prayed to the Lord. He prayed with me, took care of me and stood by my side the entire time. This is when I knew that he would stand by me through anything that life could throw our way. Such a wonderful and caring man. He does many nice things on a daily basis however, this is the one thing I would say is beyond what I had ever expected.

@Queenie60 I loved reading your heartwarming post. Amazing. That is the very definition of soulmate. He is there for you as you are for him no matter what. As I wrote above the test of any relationship is when things get hard and real and life and death situations show just how good a couple you guys are and you guys take the proverbial cake. So glad you are doing well and sending you hugs across the miles.

I married a very kind and sweet man. Like @Queenie60 so eloquently described in her situation (blessings to you Queenie!), life has thrown in some curveballs along the way. A breast cancer diagnosis and double mastectomy and reconstruction surgeries and recovery can really test any relationship. He’s been by my side every step of the way, from clearing my drainage tubes multiple times a day to washing my hair when I couldn’t raise my arms. He’s taken me to every doctor appointment (there have been many) And supported me in every way possible. He even surprised me with some beautiful bling too! The sweet gestures are in the everyday long haul.

So glad you are doing well too @Bonfire and that you have such a wonderful DH to face life's challenges with. (((HUGS))) and best wishes for continued good health.
It's so true that the small everyday gestures show the love. Not the big occasions ie anniversary, birthdays etc. No, it's the every day things that speak volumes.

Well this is hard, my hubby isn't a sweet kind of guy. He's a nice guy, but not given to doing sweet things.

I guess on two occasions he brought home flowers spontaneously, sometimes he would say forget dinner let's go out, I loved that because after working all day cooking was hard. He's great father, a good man, he's generous to his sons, he's a great brother, a good friend to many. I'm so glad I married him.

You guys are a great couple @Tekate Great Kate! I am so glad you married him too. An amazing father and grandfather and brother and freaking great DH. He is lucky and you are lucky because in this sea of confusion and hardships you found each other and have a great marriage. Ups and downs and good and bad you make it work and make it work well. Hugs and love to you Great Wise Sweet Kate. XOXO.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still think it was his proposal, over 16 years ago! He proposed in bed right as I woke up (after working a 14 hour retail shift on my feet, looking like a mess). He wanted me to know without doubt that he loved me any way I came (morning is generally the worst after all) and he has stuck true to his word :kiss2:

Awww. Sweet and supportive and that is what it is all about. We all (hopefully) get old and our appearance changes but our DHs unconditional love and support do not hinge on appearance. They love who we are. That is what counts. Glad you and your DH share that love.

Despite not working in the past almost 13 years, he has never once made me feel less than, has always supported my efforts to find employment and was supportive of me attending college in the fall. Even now despite once again not having a job or many prospects he is very reassuring that it will all come together in due time.

He has always beem supportive of all of my ideas, even the crazy ones!

That is everything @StephanieLynn He is a true partner in every sense of the word and you guys make a great team. Good luck with your continuing education and wishing you guys all the best.

@LisaRN I really appreciated your statement about your husband confronting persons who have hurt you, including friends. That is so important. My husband is an awesome person but highly nonconfrontational. He has let things slide from other people that were highly hurtful (for example a friend who suggested that if I just lost weight I wouldn't have heart problems. Turns out I had a hole in my heart that was yet to be diagnosed.) I do understand that it's not good to confront everyone all the time, but I think stepping up when it is deserved goes a long way towards feeling secure in your relationship. So glad that you are able to have that with your husband. He could teach some others a thing or two.

Amen. That is the truth. I hope you are on the mend and doing well @Gabbycat and glad you have a loving supportive DH by your side and we are all a work in progress. What matters is you keep on trying and supporting each other and we are always learning how to do it better and be better partners to each other. None of us perfect but we are perfect in that we love each other and want to keep improving our relationships. Hugs.

That he agreed to date me and hold me accountable to my/ our dreams. That was nearly 14yrs ago.... wow... 14... amazing years... and we are living da life!!!! But my insomnia is getting to me tonight/ day... ugh... the rest of the house is starting to stir for Saturday morning....

I might have a nana nap later on.

Aww love that. You are living da life as are your sweet daughters. What a love story!
Hope you enjoyed that nap if you got one in and if not there's always today. :appl:

I've had a lot of health issues, and he has been amazingly supportive over the years. But I think the most kind and empathetic thing he's done is care for my parents. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer, he came with my mom and me to all of her treatments. After my mom passed away, he put an addition on our house so my dad would have his own space when he moved in with us. He helped care for my dad until he passed away. He's really been incredible.

That shows how much he loves you. Taking care of your family. I am so sorry for your loss but happy your DH stood by you and your parents and did all he could to make their life sweet and good. I am glad you have such a wonderful man by your side to face life's challenges and not only survive but thrive. Hugs to you @Diamond Girl 21

Everyone has such wonderful stories.

They sure do! And I enjoyed reading all of them. Thank you so much for sharing and making what can be a cold hard world a bit warmer and sweeter and kinder. Hugs to all of you.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, enjoying reading all the love stories here.
I think for me it was my DH’s undying support and care during my recent health issue/hospital stays. He drove to visit me at the hospital Every. Single. Day. Over one hour each way. Never once complained. He took care of me, both emotionally and physically during this. It was then, after ~30 years of marriage, that we truly realized what it would be like if we lost one another. Brought us closer together than ever. ♥

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think for me it was my DH’s undying support and care during my recent health issue/hospital stays. He drove to visit me at the hospital Every. Single. Day. Over one hour each way. Never once complained. He took care of me, both emotionally and physically during this. It was then, after ~30 years of marriage, that we truly realized what it would be like if we lost one another. Brought us closer together than ever. ♥

:kiss2:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You share a wonderful and true love. And you are so blessed having been with your soulmate for over 30 years. Amazing. And what you wrote so poignant. When I think about life without our DHs I cannot imagine it. That is a good way to cut short all fights don't you think? Just remember how much we love and adore and cherish them and how dark it would be without them and suddenly the disagreement doesn't seem quite as critical. ::)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy My husband and I each agree we drive each other crazy. I think the fact that we will argue it out is healthier than keeping it in and festering. I’m better about telling him what I think...haha...He doesn’t do that but gets grouchy. I just go up to him and ask him to spill the beans...He also thinks I look funny when I’m mad so that’s a plus..haha

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy My husband and I each agree we drive each other crazy. I think the fact that we will argue it out is healthier than keeping it in and festering. I’m better about telling him what I think...haha...He doesn’t do that but gets grouchy. I just go up to him and ask him to spill the beans...He also thinks I look funny when I’m mad so that’s a plus..haha

MrMamabean and John sound like a perfect match! ;-) xoxo

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
MrMamabean and John sound like a perfect match! ;-) xoxo

Haha! I thought that many times! Shatzie is a good guy..but a grouch sometimes..:lol: xxoo

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother died about 18 months before I met my DH. She died on a weekend away with my father when she was in her 50's. Mom suffered from hypertension and my father was always careful never to let her carry anything too heavy. The afternoon they arrived at their destination, my father carried all the suitcases in and gave my mother just one hat box to carry. They got to their room, she had trouble breathing, went into respiratory distress and arrested. My dad did CPR and mouth to mouth on her for 20 minutes until the dr arrived, but she was truly gone before he got there, tho they did all they could to revive her. When dad came home to tell me she had died, I remember the bafflement and distress in his voice when he said to me "I only gave her a hat box. It was just a hat box..." Of course we knew, the hat box had nothing to do with her death and was, in fact, a symbol of what great care he took of her their whole married life.

After I met my DH to be, I told him that story. Ever since then, whenever we go anywhere that involves carrying anything, without fail, he picks the lightest thing from the car, hands it to me and says - "There's your hat box. Off you go." It's a charming, loving, deeply personal exchange, which is tantamount to him saying to me "I'm caring for you - no harm will come to you."

Second story....

A while after we moved to England, I was struggling with the loss of country, career, friends and family, and I reached a point where I didn't know if I'd be able to continue with it. I was horribly home sick and desperately wanted to go home.

DH arranged for me to go home to Australia for a long break - 3 months - and told me that if I didn't think I could continue living in the UK to stay in Australia and he'd relocate us home as soon as he could. Because of my husband's job, we knew that wouldn't happen in a hurry, so it was possible that might entail a *long* time apart. A short time after I left, my wonderful, wonderful, darling husband collected all the bits of candles that we had used around the house, and melted them down into a large tin, put a wick in it, and made one large candle. Every night when he got home from work, he lit it and sat it in the window of our house in London. He told me later he was doing it so I'd always be able to find my way home. He knew at the time that I was desperately unhappy. So he bought me some beautiful, bright, cheery ribbons and sent them periodically to me in Australia, so I could use them to tie up my hair, because he knew it would make me smile.

Last story.....

In the movies, you often hear couples in the throes of great love, declare to each other - "I hope I die before you! I couldn't live without you!" When you think about it, that's great for the person who dies - not so great for the person left behind. My husband, who doesn't think that way at all, has always told me that he hoped he'd die after me, because he didn't want me to have to live without him. That might sound odd to some people, but for someone like me, whose sun rises and sets with their spouse, never having to live without him is the most comforting thing. Since I know that my husband's life revolves around me, too, for him to say this is a sacrifice of the highest order. He wants my life to be full, safe, and loved - and he'll take the hit on the far end.

I have a thousand different little stories of driving in a car, having someone pull in front of us, and DH *instinctively* throwing out his arm to protect me from being harmed. Or coming home and finding our front door open, and DH *instinctively* pushing me behind him to keep me safe. My life is filled with examples of being married to the most wonderful man in the world: if I had a choice between the most glorious diamond imaginable, or those beautiful, bright, cheery ribbons - I'd choose the ribbons any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking about an answer to this question, but I don't really have one. To be honest, he would do anything I wanted, and I would do the same for him. The biggest thing he does that I appreciate so much is that he cooks supper everyday if he's home. A long time ago I developed a complete aversion to cooking, no appetite other than yes hungry, not hungry. If it were just me, I'd never cook. His meals are gourmet level--he put himself through school working at a high end restaurant. So the cooking thing is huge for me and the rest of the family.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After I met my DH to be, I told him that story. Ever since then, whenever we go anywhere that involves carrying anything, without fail, he picks the lightest thing from the car, hands it to me and says - "There's your hat box. Off you go." It's a charming, loving, deeply personal exchange, which is tantamount to him saying to me "I'm caring for you - no harm will come to you."

You know when you read something so beautiful it just makes your heart kind of clench? That bittersweet delicate feeling? That’s what this one did for me. It is such a beautiful gesture. :love:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for starting this lovely thread, @missy! Oh & I love Calvin & Hobbes too . It's hard to choose just 1 story though, but I will choose a jewelry based one for PS.
Over a dozen years ago I saw a gorgeous necklace in a local magazine & told dh how much I liked it.
He called the store, but told me they were all sold out. Disappointing, but I forgot about it.
A few weeks later we sat down to a holiday dinner, dh slipped the necklace around my neck! (They really weren't sold out, but he wanted to surprise me.)
I was so touched & loved the necklace. (Sadly it was stolen)

Gosh I sound so superficial after everyone's beautiful posts here. But I have a hard time opening up about "real things." So I will just say that he has stood by me for 18 years thru many hardships & still loves me

Last edited:

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@missy Thank you for the well wishes. That actually happened several years ago, and my old ticker is kicking just fine these days (unless I get super stressed). But I've never forgotten how much it hurt to not have hubby tell that friend where to stick it.

Buuuut, I guess that brings me to the sweetest thing he's ever done which is actually an ongoing thing. He has stuck with me during multiple physical illnesses and the subsequent mental illnesses (depression and anxiety) that resulted from them. He does anything he can to make me smile every day, and on the days I can't smile he holds my hand. He is as supportive as he knows to be, and I love him for it.

Gabbycat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
BTW, @missy I should have added that it is clear to anyone who keeps up with your Hangouts stories that your husband is a keeper, and many of the things I've read in your everyday posts show how sweet he is without having to go out of the way to do something particularly special.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thank you for the well wishes. That actually happened several years ago, and my old ticker is kicking just fine these days (unless I get super stressed). But I've never forgotten how much it hurt to not have hubby tell that friend where to stick it.

Buuuut, I guess that brings me to the sweetest thing he's ever done which is actually an ongoing thing. He has stuck with me during multiple physical illnesses and the subsequent mental illnesses (depression and anxiety) that resulted from them. He does anything he can to make me smile every day, and on the days I can't smile he holds my hand. He is as supportive as he knows to be, and I love him for it.

So happy you have such a wonderful guy! It makes all the difference. We can handle anything with our guys by our side. Anyone who can make us smile and see the positive in life despite the challenges is a keeper!

BTW, @missy I should have added that it is clear to anyone who keeps up with your Hangouts stories that your husband is a keeper, and many of the things I've read in your everyday posts show how sweet he is without having to go out of the way to do something particularly special.

Thank you @Gabbycat. We are both very lucky despite health challenges. (((Hugs))) and wishing you all the best and lots of good health dust to all those who need it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been thinking about an answer to this question, but I don't really have one. To be honest, he would do anything I wanted, and I would do the same for him. The biggest thing he does that I appreciate so much is that he cooks supper everyday if he's home. A long time ago I developed a complete aversion to cooking, no appetite other than yes hungry, not hungry. If it were just me, I'd never cook. His meals are gourmet level--he put himself through school working at a high end restaurant. So the cooking thing is huge for me and the rest of the family.

Yes! Have to love a man who can and will cook. A definite gem among gems!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for starting this lovely thread, @missy! Oh & I love Calvin & Hobbes too . It's hard to choose just 1 story though, but I will choose a jewelry based one for PS.
Over a dozen years ago I saw a gorgeous necklace in a local magazine & told dh how much I liked it.
He called the store, but told me they were all sold out. Disappointing, but I forgot about it.
A few weeks later we sat down to a holiday dinner, dh slipped the necklace around my neck! (They really weren't sold out, but he wanted to surprise me.)
I was so touched & loved the necklace. (Sadly it was stolen)

Gosh I sound so superficial after everyone's beautiful posts here. But I have a hard time opening up about "real things." So I will just say that he has stood by me for 18 years thru many hardships & still loves me

Not superficial at all! You guys are a wonderful team together for 18 years and that says it all!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother died about 18 months before I met my DH. She died on a weekend away with my father when she was in her 50's. Mom suffered from hypertension and my father was always careful never to let her carry anything too heavy. The afternoon they arrived at their destination, my father carried all the suitcases in and gave my mother just one hat box to carry. They got to their room, she had trouble breathing, went into respiratory distress and arrested. My dad did CPR and mouth to mouth on her for 20 minutes until the dr arrived, but she was truly gone before he got there, tho they did all they could to revive her. When dad came home to tell me she had died, I remember the bafflement and distress in his voice when he said to me "I only gave her a hat box. It was just a hat box..." Of course we knew, the hat box had nothing to do with her death and was, in fact, a symbol of what great care he took of her their whole married life.

Second story....

A while after we moved to England, I was struggling with the loss of country, career, friends and family, and I reached a point where I didn't know if I'd be able to continue with it. I was horribly home sick and desperately wanted to go home.

DH arranged for me to go home to Australia for a long break - 3 months - and told me that if I didn't think I could continue living in the UK to stay in Australia and he'd relocate us home as soon as he could. Because of my husband's job, we knew that wouldn't happen in a hurry, so it was possible that might entail a *long* time apart. A short time after I left, my wonderful, wonderful, darling husband collected all the bits of candles that we had used around the house, and melted them down into a large tin, put a wick in it, and made one large candle. Every night when he got home from work, he lit it and sat it in the window of our house in London. He told me later he was doing it so I'd always be able to find my way home. He knew at the time that I was desperately unhappy. So he bought me some beautiful, bright, cheery ribbons and sent them periodically to me in Australia, so I could use them to tie up my hair, because he knew it would make me smile.

Last story.....

In the movies, you often hear couples in the throes of great love, declare to each other - "I hope I die before you! I couldn't live without you!" When you think about it, that's great for the person who dies - not so great for the person left behind. My husband, who doesn't think that way at all, has always told me that he hoped he'd die after me, because he didn't want me to have to live without him. That might sound odd to some people, but for someone like me, whose sun rises and sets with their spouse, never having to live without him is the most comforting thing. Since I know that my husband's life revolves around me, too, for him to say this is a sacrifice of the highest order. He wants my life to be full, safe, and loved - and he'll take the hit on the far end.

I have a thousand different little stories of driving in a car, having someone pull in front of us, and DH *instinctively* throwing out his arm to protect me from being harmed. Or coming home and finding our front door open, and DH *instinctively* pushing me behind him to keep me safe. My life is filled with examples of being married to the most wonderful man in the world: if I had a choice between the most glorious diamond imaginable, or those beautiful, bright, cheery ribbons - I'd choose the ribbons any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Awww, love all of your stories. Heartwarming. I am right there with you. Stunning most breathtaking Diamond or our DHs? No contest at all. DH every single time. Yay to Mr B and @mrs-b an ideal team!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awww. Sweet and supportive and that is what it is all about. We all (hopefully) get old and our appearance changes but our DHs unconditional love and support do not hinge on appearance. They love who we are. That is what counts. Glad you and your DH share that love.

That is everything @StephanieLynn He is a true partner in every sense of the word and you guys make a great team. Good luck with your continuing education and wishing you guys all the best.

Amen. That is the truth. I hope you are on the mend and doing well @Gabbycat and glad you have a loving supportive DH by your side and we are all a work in progress. What matters is you keep on trying and supporting each other and we are always learning how to do it better and be better partners to each other. None of us perfect but we are perfect in that we love each other and want to keep improving our relationships. Hugs.

Aww love that. You are living da life as are your sweet daughters. What a love story!
Hope you enjoyed that nap if you got one in and if not there's always today. :appl:

That shows how much he loves you. Taking care of your family. I am so sorry for your loss but happy your DH stood by you and your parents and did all he could to make their life sweet and good. I am glad you have such a wonderful man by your side to face life's challenges and not only survive but thrive. Hugs to you @Diamond Girl 21

They sure do! And I enjoyed reading all of them. Thank you so much for sharing and making what can be a cold hard world a bit warmer and sweeter and kinder. Hugs to all of you.

Thank you @missy.....hugging you back.❤

Q

Queenie60

Second story....

Last story.....

Such a beautiful love story.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results