shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most important quality you look for in a pearl?

Which are the most important factors in choosing a single pearl?

• desired colour

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • luster

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • surface quality

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • perfect shape

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • size

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

hadleyramin

Rough_Rock
More specifically, in a Tahitian pearl, what is the most important quality?
The right colour? Flawless surface quality? High luster?

I'm choosing a single pearl for a pendant and need some help!
Would you choose a smooth pearl with a flawless surface and compromise on ideal colour? Or would you go for your ideal colour and put up with one or two small pits?

Thank you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so not a pearl expert but until others chime in I will share my opinion.

Top of the list for me is lustre and color and then size. As in I want 'em big beautiful and glowy. Ethereal to explain what I mean. I also am more of a fan of smooth and symmetrical shape over the more organic shapes. It's the whole picture but yes for me lustre is at the top of the list with color and size. So if it's only a few surface defects and the whole strand is beautiful in general that would be my order of preference.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a Tahitian pearl I want a beautiful peacock color, luster and desired shape. No surprise there. If I am looking for a perfect round then luster and surface are very, very important. If it is a baroque then shape and luster mean a lot as surface flaws may not be as obvious or are part of the charm. In regard to size it depends on how the pearl is going to be used and set. A surface flaw or a less-than-round shape may be hidden by the setting. If I want a ring or a single pearl pendant then quality and size are very important. Luster and surface quality are key as it is a 'featured' pearl and flaws are more obvious. No one wants a dead pearl that lacks luster. Luster is what makes a pearl beautiful and unique. If it is a rope of pearls, to get the desired quality I may have to go down in size and shape. Pearl grading is like the 4 Cs in diamonds and we all have our preferences. I would rather have a smaller diamond that has better color and cut. Likewise, I would rather have a smaller pearl that has all the features that I want. I may be given a tray of pearls (already sorted by color) that are in the same range of size and shape. If these pearls are too expensive, then I may go down in size or shape (round being the most expensive) in light of my purpose of purchase. Given a tray of pearls in my price range, I look at color first. Then I try to pick out the best pearl(s) in my desired size and shape by looking at each pearl's luster and surface. I pick the pearl(s) that looks the best to me... in fact the pearl(s) will pick me. I may be looking for a round and see a beautiful baroque and change my plans all together. I may go down in size to get a better pearl(s) but I won't compromise on luster and surface. In other words, I look at the best pearl available in my price range. If I do not want to go smaller or change shape because of price, then I delay the purchase and save the $$ until I can afford to buy what I want. I am still waiting to buy my Tahitian. :$$): :cry:Have fun.

hadleyramin

Rough_Rock
Thanks missy! Does your opinion change at all if you're picking a single pendant over a strand? What I don't want is for flaws to drive me crazy over time, but I don't want to compromise on the overall look of the pearl either!

hadleyramin

Rough_Rock
If the pearl has fabulous lustre you won't see minor marks in normal wearing

Thanks! This gives me some confidence to go for the "prettier" pearl that has a few flaws

hadleyramin

Rough_Rock
lambskin, thank you so much for your detailed reply!! Lustre and surface quality are surely important but it's comforting to know that you similarly place colour first.

I am selecting a single pearl for a pendant so it will be a "feature" pearl. My options are to go for a near round, flawless, smooth pearl with "high" lustre that is more dominantly purple/pink, OR a near round, "very high" lustre pearl that has at least 3 minor imperfections. The colour is more to my liking, on the green side however.

The question is how many imperfections does it take to overlook preferred colour??

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How many imperfections are too many is something only you can answer. It helps if the flaws are where they won't be seen as much. The setting itself can hide flaws near the top, or it can be set so that the flaws are to the back or on the bottom as worn. It's true that luster tends to make flaws less noticeable. The size of the flaws matters too. Little pinpricks are not a big deal if there are only a few of them.

Color/overtones matter to me. A Tahitian without nice overtones is not particularly attractive to me.

Luster and color can be affected by size. Younger, smaller oysters tend to produce the better colors and luster. Large Tahitians tend to have lower luster and not as vibrant colors as smaller ones. How large do you want your pendant pearl to be?

Shape is more important to me for a pendant than for a strand. I like symmetrical drops for pendants, but I prefer near round or baroque pearls for strands.

I chose color and luster in your poll. My 3rd would be shape.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks missy! Does your opinion change at all if you're picking a single pendant over a strand? What I don't want is for flaws to drive me crazy over time, but I don't want to compromise on the overall look of the pearl either!

Yes definitely. If it is a necklace each pearl does not have to be perfect in color or perfectly symmetrical in shape. If it is one pearl for a pendant it has to be pearl perfect. Does that makes sense? So for me it's Lustre first and color second and third size and shape. Ideally I want the best I can afford but since we all have limited budgets it can be challenging. I cannot wait to see what you choose. Good luck.:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lambskin, thank you so much for your detailed reply!! Lustre and surface quality are surely important but it's comforting to know that you similarly place colour first.

I am selecting a single pearl for a pendant so it will be a "feature" pearl. My options are to go for a near round, flawless, smooth pearl with "high" lustre that is more dominantly purple/pink, OR a near round, "very high" lustre pearl that has at least 3 minor imperfections. The colour is more to my liking, on the green side however.

The question is how many imperfections does it take to overlook preferred colour??

Do you have photos to share? It would be easier to share opinions if we could see what you are deciding between.

hadleyramin

Rough_Rock
Alrighty I am back with pictures!
I ordered pearl #1 because most people told me not to worry about tiny flaws, and I had doubts about how the colour of pearl #2 would turn out to the naked eye. Pearl #3 and #4 (the photo of the pair) I was able to see in person in a B&M store but they were quite expensive for what they were. Pearl #3 had a lot of imperfections on one side and was smaller than both pearls #1 and #2. Pearl #4 was perfectly round and smooth but was smaller than pearl #3 and lacked any interesting colour. It didn't wow me other than having a perfect surface.

I am having second thoughts and wondering whether pearl #2 was the right choice. The surface is perfect and the pinky purple colour may be nicer?? Pearl #1 has a few imperfections. Anyway, here are the pics I based my decision on :)

Screenshot_20180208-134136.jpg
Screenshot_20180208-134232.jpg
Screenshot_20180210-022356.jpg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you already received pearl 1? If so, how do you feel about the color now that you see it in person? Is the green vibrant, as it looks in the photo?

If your only concern is the flaw, it is very small, and you could orient the pearl in the setting such that the flaw is toward the bottom, where it will not be seen so much.

From the photos, the luster of pearl 1 looks slightly better than that of pearl 2.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I give luster and color equal weight (I won’t pick a high luster pearl if I don’t care for the color, and I won’t pick a beautifully colored pearl if the luster is subpar). With a very high luster pearl, you’ll see small imperfections less as well, but large ones will still be visible from a normal viewing distance. I’m shape sensitive as well, so I look for pearls that are symmetrical, whether they’re round, drop, or baroque.

Of your pictures, I would have gone for the bottom left on the third picture first I think, provided that it could be set to hide the imperfections, followed by the one you chose (and with a huge price and/or size difference, I would have gone for the one you picked). The blemish is minor and the luster is better than #2. I actually prefer the smaller flash of peacock with the more intense green too.

hadleyramin

Rough_Rock
pearlsngems, I just got it (yay!!). I'll put up piccies shortly. It's actually been an interesting exercise in testing how to "read" pearl photos. In certain light the green is very vibrant but in others the peachy colour in the centre comes out more and subdues the green. In shade the centre is pink and subtle blues around the edges are noticeable. I love the complexity of it :kiss2: As for the flaw it is less noticeable than I feared so that is good! I wanted it floating on a chain so all flaws would potentially be apparent.

I was nervous before because I had ordered this pearl based on the photo which turned out to be different from what I expected.
20180220_094255.jpg

This is the above pearl in direct light
20180205_190719.jpg

It was beautiful but in normal light it did just look black and wasn't showing much variation in colour.

hadleyramin

Rough_Rock
cmd2014, I was actually super tempted by pearl #3!! Tempted because I was able to see it in real life and knew 100% what I was getting, but what the photo doesn't show is the other side which was what I would say was "very" blemished, especially compared to the others. It was $50 cheaper than pearl #1 but also more blemished, and 2mm smaller. I'll post the real pics of pearl #1 soon :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tahitian pearl overtones don't show up in bright, direct light. But you know, you won't only be wearing it in direct light. I expect you will see overtones in diffuse/indoor light conditions, although maybe not as bright as those in the photo. Light box/studio lighting shows the overtones best.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results