shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most expensive setting that you ever trashed?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you tried the LA jewelry district? I know that David Klass is highly recommended.

I have but his wait time is pretty long plus one of my girlfriend's ring did not turn out particularly well so I am looking around for options.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
61566AD0-7CF1-470F-9C6D-BE13032BAE4F.jpeg 66EAC512-AFDC-435D-96C8-9AEF6B766814.jpeg F3AD2C41-222A-4957-B793-995975288897.jpeg 6C4463CD-CCA6-4E72-BE5C-F1CD0DCA73C2.jpeg
7CD6F8C7-EF8D-4567-A08F-C073BA6E3BBC.jpeg
Whatever I spent at this designer for all the above. I knew I had Made a mistake when I saw the flying saucer ring on my finger. Then she changed it into the extra thick bezel, which was still too much and too high of my finger. Luckily I then joined PS and I am still enjoying the French cut ring that Victor Canera made for me.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Acinom you have such gorgeous, LONG fingers that the ring overwhelmed your hand.. I love all your stuff as you know.

2,300$K on a setting for my 1.66 stone, which I hated as soon as I put it on, I decided to have a setting MADE and went to a crap jeweler and gave them the setting and they cracked all the baguettes in trying to make me a sleeker setting, that was such a piece of junk, but I still have that one in my safe deposit box.. so in all I'd say I blew almost 4K on 2 settings within 6 months. I did learn that I am a solitaire girl though, as much as I like baguettes and melee , my diamond has to be in a solitaire but I do love blingy big wedding bands..

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Acinom everything looks good on you. Can you tell us about your pearl and onyx (ring)? I love it. Such amazing color and textural contrasts. Thank you for sharing.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom everything looks good on you. Can you tell us about your pearl and onyx (ring)? I love it. Such amazing color and textural contrasts. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you! Unfortunately I never wear these. They are beautifully made though by Eigenmann jewelers in the Netherlands. The black puffy heart is made from wood.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all for sharing. I wouldn’t say the setting is “trashed” but it has been sitting lifeless (stoneless) for a couple years. I purchased a Verragio halo from Whiteflash for $5200. It’s a beautiful ring but I soon realized it was a bit too much for my lifestyle. I’ve been trying to decide on a stone for it since I put it in the safe but haven’t been able to find the right one. I really would love an AVC but I haven’t been able to pull the trigger. I think spending that much on a stone for a ring that won’t be worn everyday is just not something I’m comfortable doing. E1B361FC-A79A-4701-A08D-3D2CE2F74674.jpeg 234EBB6E-69DD-4C46-92DE-88D6F8EF24C6.jpeg 1F47FADE-B00C-4522-AB86-F8D4E0F416B7.jpeg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have but his wait time is pretty long plus one of my girlfriend's ring did not turn out particularly well so I am looking around for options.
I don’t know if this bench is open yet, but are you close to the city of orange in Orange County?

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if this bench is open yet, but are you close to the city of orange in Orange County?

Yes, it's close enough to where we are, so getting there is not an issue.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it's close enough to where we are, so getting there is not an issue.

PX jewelers in Orange, ca. The bench is the owner. His name is Tom. You can google the address and number. It says temporarily closed but I think they will open june 2 or by appointment.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
PX jewelers in Orange, ca. The bench is the owner. His name is Tom. You can google the address and number. It says temporarily closed but I think they will open june 2 or by appointment.

Thanks @nala ! I will reach out to him when they reopen and see about getting my diamond reset in a stuller mount I have been eyeing.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @nala ! I will reach out to him when they reopen and see about getting my diamond reset in a stuller mount I have been eyeing.

Also. Is you don’t click with him, there is another bench in the Tustin Jewelry Mart, located in Tustin, not to be confused with Tustin jewelry exchange.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @nala. The two jewelers I went to made the whole process so stressful, unpleasant and $$$$ that I gave up trying to set anything for a while. Good to know there are decent jewelers out there. You are a lifesaver!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @nala. The two jewelers I went to made the whole process so stressful, unpleasant and $$$$ that I gave up trying to set anything for a while. Good to know there are decent jewelers out there. You are a lifesaver!
How much were they charging you for what size diamond?
I’ll give you a third choice. Happy jewelers in Fullerton, also located in a jewelry mart. The owner is Gabe and he is awesome! Actually, depending on what you need done, I might encourage you to go to him first.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hmr_mama A blue zircon would look lovely in that setting and would be good for special occasions. I dont think they are too expensive either.
You could ask the colored stone forum to help you find something.

Also, not sure how you feel about lab-created stones but Precision Gems cuts them. I believe they are "real" gems just grown in a lab. Someone
correct me if I'm wrong (I dont know colored stones) but I have seen a few of these that he's cut and they are lovely!

Here is a pink lab sapphire he cut... (I prefer the blue sapphires or blue spinels)

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How much were they charging you for what size diamond?
I’ll give you a third choice. Happy jewelers in Fullerton, also located in a jewelry mart. The owner is Gabe and he is awesome! Actually, depending on what you need done, I might encourage you to go to him first.

They charged me around $250 to 300+ for a 2 carat diamond. I have a bunch of other gemstones lying around unset since I can't find anyone decent so far. And honestly paying that sort of price for an inexpensive gemstone is a bit much.

I have another project in the works and am considering a 6 prong setting for a 2.8 carat diamond. I am thinking either

1)the stuller crown setting

2) a 6 prong solitaire with a modified basket (so this will be custom).

This is supposed to be a temp setting but if we like it enough I may ask the jeweler to add wheat engraving down the shank.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They charged me around $250 to 300+ for a 2 carat diamond. I have a bunch of other gemstones lying around unset since I can't find anyone decent so far. And honestly paying that sort of price for an inexpensive gemstone is a bit much.

I have another project in the works and am considering a 6 prong setting for a 2.8 carat diamond. I am thinking either

1)the stuller crown setting

2) a 6 prong solitaire with a modified basket (so this will be custom).

This is supposed to be a temp setting but if we like it enough I may ask the jeweler to add wheat engraving down the shank.
Ok. The price you paid for the diamond is fair. The going rate is 100 per carat and You have to waive the damage risk to your stone so it is stressful bc. From a vendors point of view, why take on the liability for performing a service. I’m afraid you will be disappointed with my recommendations. Tbh, happy jewelers has quite a selection of settings and they will set the stone for free if you purchase setting from them—which might save you money if you haven’t purchased your setting.
now, they do charge a lot less for inexpensive gemstones. If you just want that, try the Ontario jewelry mart—the bench is Hiep and he does a quick and cheap job for small projects.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok. The price you paid for the diamond is fair. The going rate is 100 per carat and You have to waive the damage risk to your stone so it is stressful bc. From a vendors point of view, why take on the liability for performing a service. I’m afraid you will be disappointed with my recommendations. Tbh, happy jewelers has quite a selection of settings and they will set the stone for free if you purchase setting from them—which might save you money if you haven’t purchased your setting.
now, they do charge a lot less for inexpensive gemstones. If you just want that, try the Ontario jewelry mart—the bench is Hiep and he does a quick and cheap job for small projects.

I don't mind paying that sort of prices - I know that's about the going rate. The problem was the first guy chewed up and damaged my prongs in my brand new setting. With the second jeweler, after a month the stone was rattling and loose in the setting, and let's just say the after sales service was a let down. If they did a good job I would have no complaints, you know?

Thanks for the tip for the gemstone guy, now I know who to turn to for my smaller projects!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results