shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the most expensive setting that you ever trashed?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of the ladies here change their Ering setting more often than I change my underwear...:silenced::lol:.

Custom settings are non refundable so if one were to upgrade the center stone the old setting will most likely be sitting in a jewelry trash box forever. I'm not into expensive settings, so even if I were to upgrade the size of my stone it'll only cost me $350 for a new titanium tension setting.

I spent $2300 on my first tension setting (made from 500 fine palladium) it was a waste of money when I sold the ring...;(

Jennyfromtherock

Rough_Rock
First post but long time reader which led me to Victor Canera. I had my 2.9 round set in a cathedral Emilya setting and while it was STUNNING, it just never felt right on my size 4.5 finger. It was too flashy for my comfort zone so I reset my stone in a solitaire setting. So $3000 plus dollars just sitting in a drawer and it kills me.

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
First post but long time reader which led me to Victor Canera. I had my 2.9 round set in a cathedral Emilya setting and while it was STUNNING, it just never felt right on my size 4.5 finger. It was too flashy for my comfort zone so I reset my stone in a solitaire setting. So $3000 plus dollars just sitting in a drawer and it kills me.

Emilya's usually sell for a good chunk of their original value on the Preloved forum, if you're interested in recouping some of those costs.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock

Jennyfromtherock - I love your user name!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
I had a chunky half-bezel platinum ring for an AVC, and it was just too modern for me. Scrapped it after 6 months :(

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really trash anything, I sell it on LT if it doesn't work or I keep putting different things in it until it works....

I have sold and had to have a few attempts at setting things in a number of expensive settings....

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bezel of the original solitaire setting for my 1.19ct EC had to be cut for the stone to be reset.

Don't know how much it cost originally, however I sold it as scrap platinum and got 209 GBP for it to the bench that carried out the reset.

DK :))

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock

List it! Someone will buy that in no time!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3K : (

Lesson learned.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6k.

I asked for a design that was very different from the sorts of pieces the vendor usually made.

Expensive reminder of the risks of being a design guinea pig.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I’m cheap and boring when it comes to settings. I like either plain solitaires, 3 stone or a pave style with a thin band.
Although, if I ever upgrade my current diamond I would like to make my current ER into a 3 stone RHR. I have seen some $$ ones, but I would not design one myself since there are so many vendors that have beautiful ones already.

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you! Yes I adore halos on other people but chasing after 3 kids made it less practical. For now I have it set in a simple Stuller crown setting. Still trying to find my forever setting. DD433A5F-5C21-4B78-AAA9-A308BDB5B8CD.jpeg

Yes! I love that even more! I’ve been looking at that same setting. Do you have any profile shots?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was a shared print solitaire setting. 5k for the “custom” setting. Pre PS.

ETA prong not print. Thanks autocorrect.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found a photo. Just the ER setting cost 5k. Rip off but we didn’t know better. Thanks PS for teaching me the blingy ropes.
0850A518-FCBF-47D3-9DCB-1C75D9D529E2.png

Mamajemmy

Shiny_Rock
Forgive the phone pics but here you go. I call this setting my little work horse...it truly is equal parts beautiful and sturdy. That’s why I haven’t rushed into another reset. 65CBD3E4-F58F-4A4C-B726-186148F80262.jpeg

I really love this setting. Just looks like a little crown sitting on a finger. It’s so helpful to see this from this angle to see how the band sits against it.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
4-prong 2mm shank solitaire platinum setting for over 2K, a BIG rip off! I even sourced the center stone from this same vendor. I enjoy my ring but... never again!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Custom made ring: yellow sapphire and demantoid garnets. Was way to heavy and uncomfortable to wear. Over 3k. Sold it, recouped little.

cheers--Sharon

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If I had a penny for every setting we had to trash....I'd have a lot of pennies!!
Really fine Micro Pavé rings don't stand up well if they have ever been repaired or adjusted for size. So we've trashed quite a few.
Yes, some people will wear them for years, and never lose a stone....but there's a high rate of failure for the "cut down" style that's so popular on "super rings"- they will not stand up to repeated polishing.
Sub 2mm shanks????
No matter who made the ring, if it's micro pavé there's just less metal, and polishing removes metal.
So, if a stone fell out of the shank, you'd need to polish the entire ring- including the halo....
Bye Bye Stones :boohoo:( sung to the Everly brothers:)

MoxiRoxi

Rough_Rock
I think I spent $3k possibly more 6 years ago on this plat setting to remount the sapphire from old engagement ring and OEC stud earrings. Beautiful ring that I wore a couple of times. It's made to fit my middle finger on left hand, I have since gotten remarried and it wont fit on my right hand. Such a shame...

IMG_0917.JPG IMG_0918.JPG

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s mine from Victor and then on my hand for reference. Was just too much for everyday wear. :( 1D27D7A6-2452-499D-AD45-36C40D230560.jpeg
What a masterpiece, you could put a CS in it and turn it into a cocktail ring, it's superb!
Also, I understand why you chose to change it, makes total sense for everyday wear (the second one I mean).

Last edited:

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I spent $3k possibly more 6 years ago on this plat setting to remount the sapphire from old engagement ring and OEC stud earrings. Beautiful ring that I wore a couple of times. It's made to fit my middle finger on left hand, I have since gotten remarried and it wont fit on my right hand. Such a shame...

IMG_0917.JPG IMG_0918.JPG
Do you have plans to re-size it? It's gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results