shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the margin of error for mounted diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I recently had my very blingy dangly earrings appraised. I'd initially estimated the total weight to be around 8ct, based on receipts, certs and what the jeweller showed me (they weighed some of the diamonds which were loose on their own scale). I subsequently had one pair of diamonds with a total weight of abt 0.90ct removed, so that should make the whole earrings about 7ct or just a bit under.

The earrings were then appraised with all the diamonds mounted. The appraisal report shows the total weight to be just under 6ct
6.gif

I trust the appraiser/ gemologist 200%. He is *THE* authority to go to in Singapore. There's absolutely no way he'd do anything funny to risk his reputation and hence his livelihood. I also trust the jeweller, well about 99% (there's an extremely slim chance that their benchman might switch some of the diamonds but I doubt that very very much).

So that only leaves two possibilities: 1) the scale at the jeweller is wrong (or the one at the appraiser's is wrong, but again I doubt that); and 2) mounted diamonds are hard to appraise (though the two largest diamonds are certed) and thus there may be a margin of error in estimation.

I don't want to ask the appraiser, in case he might be offended and think that I am accusing him of some wrongdoing.

My Q is how big would that margin of error be? Can it be as much as 1carat or even over?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/4/2009 12:13:00 AM
Author:Phoenix
I recently had my very blingy dangly earrings appraised. I''d initially estimated the total weight to be around 8ct, based on receipts, certs and what the jeweller showed me (they weighed some of the diamonds which were loose on their own scale). I subsequently had one pair of diamonds with a total weight of abt 0.90ct removed, so that should make the whole earrings about 7ct or just a bit under.

The earrings were then appraised with all the diamonds mounted. The appraisal report shows the total weight to be just under 6ct
6.gif

I trust the appraiser/ gemologist 200%. He is *THE* authority to go to in Singapore. There''s absolutely no way he''d do anything funny to risk his reputation and hence his livelihood. I also trust the jeweller, well about 99% (there''s an extremely slim chance that their benchman might switch some of the diamonds but I doubt that very very much).

So that only leaves two possibilities: 1) the scale at the jeweller is wrong (or the one at the appraiser''s is wrong, but again I doubt that); and 2) mounted diamonds are hard to appraise (though the two largest diamonds are certed) and thus there may be a margin of error in estimation.

I don''t want to ask the appraiser, in case he might be offended and think that I am accusing him of some wrongdoing.

My Q is how big would that margin of error be? Can it be as much as 1carat or even over?
Why not? You have questions..you have paid him to provide you with his knowledge.
He''s human and might have miscalculated. Follow up questions should be encouraged.
And yes, mounted diamonds are more difficult to gauge precisely but an experienced appraiser should
be very close to the actual weights.

www.metrojewelryapptraisers.com

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/4/2009 9:24:51 PM
Author: Modified Brilliant

Date: 3/4/2009 12:13:00 AM
Author:Phoenix
I recently had my very blingy dangly earrings appraised. I''d initially estimated the total weight to be around 8ct, based on receipts, certs and what the jeweller showed me (they weighed some of the diamonds which were loose on their own scale). I subsequently had one pair of diamonds with a total weight of abt 0.90ct removed, so that should make the whole earrings about 7ct or just a bit under.

6.gif

I trust the appraiser/ gemologist 200%. He is *THE* authority to go to in Singapore. There''s absolutely no way he''d do anything funny to risk his reputation and hence his livelihood. I also trust the jeweller, well about 99% (there''s an extremely slim chance that their benchman might switch some of the diamonds but I doubt that very very much).

So that only leaves two possibilities: 1) the scale at the jeweller is wrong (or the one at the appraiser''s is wrong, but again I doubt that); and 2) mounted diamonds are hard to appraise (though the two largest diamonds are certed) and thus there may be a margin of error in estimation.

I don''t want to ask the appraiser, in case he might be offended and think that I am accusing him of some wrongdoing.

Why not? You have questions..you have paid him to provide you with his knowledge.
He''s human and might have miscalculated. Follow up questions should be encouraged.
And yes, mounted diamonds are more difficult to gauge precisely but an experienced appraiser should
be very close to the actual weights.

www.metrojewelryapptraisers.com
Thanks for your reply. So what you''re saying is that 1ct or more of a difference is a bit too much?

Hmmm, I''ll have to find a tactful way to ask him. It''s a bit tricky, living in Asia, such things are considered confrontational and likely to offend. You know what though? It may be possible that the seller of the original dangly pieces may have over-stated the weight of the diamonds on the receipt. I wouldn''t put it past them.

I appreciate your input. It''s good to know.

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
I''d think it would also depend on how many diamonds there are, their cut and how easy it is to gauge their size (accessibility). 1 carat on 7 is 14% - high but not huge error.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/5/2009 8:14:07 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
I'd think it would also depend on how many diamonds there are, their cut and how easy it is to gauge their size (accessibility). 1 carat on 7 is 14% - high but not huge error.
Thanks for that. There're lots of melee diamonds. Most of these are "Very Good", I'd say, not "Ideal" or "Excellent", but boy they sure sparkle!
1.gif

I attach a picture for ease of reference (this is the final product, after the 2 stones have been removed). Perhaps the melee diamonds make it harder to gauge?

Would love to hear what you think upon seeing the picture.

Thanks.

Dangly Earrings.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results