shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the line between a beer quartz and a citrine

t897sang

Rough_Rock
Hi,
I recently got a beer quartz, very nicely faceted, that has a very vibrant yellow colour, which makes it very comparable to a citrine.
That being said, I was wondering what is the line between a type of quartz and another. A beer quartz is different from a citrine because it's usually more brownish, hazy, but if it has a bright, yellow colour, does it fall into the citrine category, and vice versa.
If anyone ever wondered and found an answer, let me know:)

I haven't heard of "beer quartz," but I assume it is along the same lines of "whiskey quartz" and other trade names used for particular shades of this material. Yes, it tends to have a brassy hue with a brown modifier, differentiating it from citrine, which tends to have a purer, sunny yellow or orangey-yellow color. Then there is madeira citrine, which is deeper in tone and saturation. But there are no real guidelines to determining where one variety ends and another begins... it's rather subjective. All of these colors are typically produced or enhanced using varying degrees of heat. HTH!

It’s subjective to be honest, when does it stop being more yellowish like Citrine or more vibrant and orangish like Madeira Citrine or when does it become brownish like Smoky quartz?
If it’s anything like the line between pink sapphire and ruby, the “name” equals more $$$.

These are the color of Citrine. The more orange/red the color the higher the price.
The deeper the tone with higher saturation the more valuable.
The yellows never reach "Gem" quality.

Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 1.21.02 PM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 1.22.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 1.22.43 PM.png
    837.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 1.23.08 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-04 at 1.23.08 PM.png
    825.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi,
I recently got a beer quartz, very nicely faceted, that has a very vibrant yellow colour, which makes it very comparable to a citrine.
That being said, I was wondering what is the line between a type of quartz and another. A beer quartz is different from a citrine because it's usually more brownish, hazy, but if it has a bright, yellow colour, does it fall into the citrine category, and vice versa.

Beer quartz is irradiated quartz as far as I know. Lemon quartz is irradiated too.

Citrine is either made from Amethyst (heat treatment) of it is natural, which looks completely different and is pale yellow with long crystals.

It usually comes from Zambia or Congo and can even look smokey because it was exposed to radiation when it was formed in the ground (smokey citrine). Still the crystals are very different from citrine derived from Amethyst, they are more like Veracruz Amethyst in shape and the way they cluster.

..now im thirsty !
i think i need a picture of a beer quartz

drinksemot.gif

I just love this whole thread so much! "Beer quartz" as a prestige appellation.

Hold my beer quartz...

I totally want to change my PS handle now.

i have seen champaign and chocolate diamonds down the mall but beer quartz was a new one !
but on my screen i definatly see beer
i still drink just regular beer -no fancy craft beer for me
1720315664959.jpeg
although when i was younger we would drink Speights old dark with raspberry !

Hi,

Do quartz and citrine's share the same Refractive Index?

GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP

Featured Topics