shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the excitement all about for a Tiffany brand diamond

4114heidi

Rough_Rock
Are Tiffany and Company diamonds worth the money? I found a second hand diamond that is from Tiffany and Company online that fits the criteria that I am want in a diamond. It is D in color and VS1 in clarity. It has the ratio that I like of 1.31. I just don't know about these diamonds and to buy something unseen is kinda of scary. I trust that it is authentic but I just question if Tiffany and Company diamonds are better than other diamonds that are not Tiffany and Company. Thoughts?

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Re: What is the excitement all about for a Tiffany brand dia

Apart from taking the 4Cs and shape etc into account all diamonds are the same

Tiffany is just a brand name and an over priced one at that as are all branded diamonds :wall:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Tiffany makes the best diamond MARKETING in the world!

That said, if you go for image over substance, then go for it.
Nothing wrong with that.
People vary.

Since they can't tell YOU get to tell your friends and family yours is a diamond TIFFANY diamond.
If you ever need to sell it you'll find lots of people who also want to buy the best diamond MARKETING in the world!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The blue box!.. :wink2:

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock

The movie Breakfast at Tiffany's :lol:

4114heidi

Rough_Rock

Thank you for all the replies.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Second hand is good way to buy a Tiff ring; just make sure all the paperwork is there and there's a return policy that allows you to check it out.

There are loads of Tiff Pro/Con threads on here. All I can say, is that when people do post their Tiff ER, they always get a lot of positive comments. Are there better diamonds? Yes. Are they overpriced? Yes. But - to be honest, there are lots of other things in first world countries like that and people do decide to go for it. Just sayin'

tigertales

Shiny_Rock

Hi! First post on PriceScope.

Just wanted to say that, before the internet made it possible to source diamonds of superior quality, Tiffany was one of the few really reliable diamond sellers. I've owned one, a little .75, d vvs1, and it deserved all the hoopla you can imagine. Every photograph I have from that time, you could see that baby from a mile away. AND, we bought it sight unseen, just shopped with NYC store, and had it sent.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

motownmama|1447003733|3947050 said:
Second hand is good way to buy a Tiff ring; just make sure all the paperwork is there and there's a return policy that allows you to check it out.

There are loads of Tiff Pro/Con threads on here. All I can say, is that when people do post their Tiff ER, they always get a lot of positive comments. Are there better diamonds? Yes. Are they overpriced? Yes. But - to be honest, there are lots of other things in first world countries like that and people do decide to go for it. Just sayin'

But even second hand you're paying more for the name ... and the prestigious name does not even assure top cut.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Regarding Tiffany's aggressive pricing, this issue also applies to many franchise brick and mortar stores.
In Canada, Michael Hill, for example, lists 1.0 I SI2 Ideal on WHITE GOLD setting for 11000 CAD. Who knows who "certified" the diamond.
Using online stores, I can do the exact same ring with GIA excellent grading at a half price. With IGI grading, I can do even better.

In fact, with 11000 CAD, I rather buy 0.75 carat with platinum setting from Tiffany, than Michael Hills, People's Jeweller, etc....
I cannot figure out. But their diamond/setting combo looks amazing, even with 0.3 carat...

There are many people who simply refuse to buy diamond online. I told my co-worker that I just bought a ring from Jame Allen. She was like "really??? ONLINE???" For these people, Tiffany is a good option. In addition, Tiffany is everywhere and will be everywhere. If there is a problem or repair is required, you can just visit one of their shops. This is huge for non-US residents. I live in Canada. I am lucky among non-US residents. Many of these online stores offer free shipping and return to Canada. In addition, there is no duty under NAFTA. However, still, dealing with US based online stores is not so easy when there is an issue.

And of course there is Fedex....They did not bother to buzz , and just left a notice. I had to drive 40min to their shipping centre and wait for 40min, and found that my Jame Allen packaging was heavily damaged. I drove another 40min back home. Not very pleasant experience.

If online shopping is not an option, Tiffany is my number one choice.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

tigertales|1447009446|3947079 said:
Hi! First post on PriceScope.

Just wanted to say that, before the internet made it possible to source diamonds of superior quality, Tiffany was one of the few really reliable diamond sellers. I've owned one, a little .75, d vvs1, and it deserved all the hoopla you can imagine. Every photograph I have from that time, you could see that baby from a mile away. AND, we bought it sight unseen, just shopped with NYC store, and had it sent.

Thanks for that perspective! We certainly have both more information and better tools available to us today than even a generation ago, when people had to rely much more on their own eyes and/or the jeweler's reputation when buying a diamond. And since many people bought only one diamond in their lifetime... or maybe a few, but many years apart... they really didn't have an opportunity to learn what to look for, making their choice of jeweler that much more important.

Tiffany does make some beautiful jewelry including engagement ring settings. On many of their settings every line, angle, curve etc is tweaked to absolute perfection. And of course for some people having a Tiffany branded name is akin to having a mind clean diamond - it's special to them, even if it may no be obvious to look at or to anyone else. Unfortunately the price for getting an authentic Tiffany engagement ring setting is paying a premium for the diamond.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock

...let's not forget about their absolutely stunning settings, which are often copied. Yes you can have a 'signature hearts and arrows' cut, but maybe that 'Tiffany inspired' setting just doesn't look as nice as the original.

Yes there's marketing, but they sure make some pretty rings.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is this an emerald cut? Because their emerald cut rings certainly may be worth buying second hand. The rounds can be beat in cut quality easily. But for fancy shapes, like their Legacy ring and the Lucida, cannot be bought elsewhere, and certainly their generic fancy cuts may be better than average. I have a Tiffany repro e-ring setting but a real Legacy band. I would be happy to find a good deal on a second hand Tiffany ring, but I probably wouldn't buy a modern round brilliant. The advantage is that if you ever resell, a second hand Tiffany diamond jewelry item will usually hold its value.

I would only buy an expensive item if it has a return policy.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Whether or not a Tiffany diamond is "worth" the money, is up to the person buying it. Some would say yes, some would say no. To some folks, the Tiffany name can hold a great deal of importance. I like the Tiffany brand and own some Tiffany pieces (including diamonds), but my E-ring is not Tiffany because I knew that I could get more bang for my buck elsewhere.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results