shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the best way to sell rare tiffany's engagement ring?

Makpb

Rough_Rock
I have a 3.08 carat, G color, IF clarity emerald cut diamond solitaire platinum ring, with 2 tapered baguette diamonds weighi.g a total of .45 carats f-g color and VS clarity. I understand a 3 carat IF diamond is rare. I have paperwork from Tiffany's stating it's value at $86,000. What can I expect to get for it? Where should I sell it? I have bag and box too. Also a thin platinum band.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: What is the best way to sell rare tiffany's engagement r

Makpb|1315509172|3012887 said:
I have a 3.08 carat, G color, IF clarity emerald cut diamond solitaire platinum ring, with 2 tapered baguette diamonds weighi.g a total of .45 carats f-g color and VS clarity. I understand a 3 carat IF diamond is rare. I have paperwork from Tiffany's stating it's value at $86,000. What can I expect to get for it? Where should I sell it? I have bag and box too. Also a thin platinum band.

68K for that sounds very low; how old is that paperwork?
Prices have gone up a lot recently.

You can Google up online sales sites for used diamonds.
I'd ASK 70% of today's retail.
You may not get that much but it's a starting point.

Selling it yourself takes a lot of skill, time and hassle plus there is a chance you may be ripped off.
Having a jeweler sell it for you will be safer and maybe faster, but you will have to share the money.

Makpb

Rough_Rock

Dec 6 2006

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Makpb|1315511022|3012905 said:
Dec 6 2006

I bought a diamond Oct 2006 and I recently documented that the same vendor would list it today, new, for over 80% more.
Here's the thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-more-for-an-e-go-ahead-guess.164603/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-much-more-for-an-e-go-ahead-guess.164603/[/URL]

If your diamond appreciated the same . . . $86,000 x 1.8 = $154,800
70% of that is $108K.

I'd probably list it for $99,999.99 with FREE SHIPPING! :wacko: - not that you'll get that much, but it's a starting point based on some reason.
Then again, since you have a 3 ct G IF from Tiffany I'd get some professional independent appraisers to advise you. https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers
I'd only associate with those who do NOT sell diamonds - a potential inherent conflict of interest for an appraiser IMHO.

Yours is an important diamond so it may have appreciated at an even higher percentage than 80%.
Whatever you do, please be careful.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Post photos! I want to see that diamond!!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock

Pics or it doesn't exist. :cheeky:

Seriously, we need pictures. ASAP.

Makpb

Rough_Rock

:)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll be right over.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Care to adopt me or marry me (either one is fine!) :naughty:

I'd contact an auction house, like an MS Rau or Sotheby's....that's a big ticket item and it might be worth the commission to have some help trying to sell this stunning ring.

Makpb

Rough_Rock

Not totally comfortable keeping up pic. It seems like it might have appreciated in value. Thanks for the imput.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Makpb|1315519086|3013007 said:
Not totally comfortable keeping up pic. It seems like it might have appreciated in value. Thanks for the imput.

No problem.
Do be careful.
What you have is worth a lot of money and there are many unsavory characters out there on the Internet.

Please obtain vetted professional assistance with this sale.
You will have to share the $$$ with them but IMHO this diamond warrants a higher level of care.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have no idea how to sell such a stunning ring....but I will admit I had to wipe drool off the keyboard :Up_to_something:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It is very unusual and difficult to complete a retail sale of such a fine and costly diamond ring from your position as a consumer and relative selling novice in the diamond market. It can be done, but usually is not the way it will sell. Firms such as my own do offer to buy diamonds and jewelry from the public and many others do the same. Again, it is difficult to deal with unknown buyers who may be a great distance from your home. We don't think we are quite as "unknown" with Pricescopers as most others and have a long track record of dealing with people who are in your position. There are other firms, too, who are good and qualified, but how could you know without a strong referral from someone who was pleased with their service. Please believe me when I tell you that the vast majority of buyers are not at all concerned with your best interests.

Alternatively, you can turn to well known auction galleries and let them sell the ring. By the time you get your share of the price the ring actually brings, you'll end up with about 70% of what the consumer who bought it paid for it in the auction. This amount is going to be quite similar most of the time to what a dealer would have paid your directly. Every once in a great while a battle develops on the auction house floor over a special item and it brings a crazy, high amount. This is not generally for a colorless range diamond of 3 carats, but for the very rare and unusual items or ones with great provenance.

Essentially, auction houses and legitimate dealers will net you about the same amount of money. Dealers pay immediately and auction houses pay 30 days after the sale, so it takes several months at auction to get paid since you must leave the ring well ahead of the sale for creation of their sales catalog.

**edited by moderator. please comply with our policies**

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

You need to update your paperwork. Start by talking to Tiffany's. This is a Tiffany made piece, right? You need a recent appraisal and a recent GIA confirming that IF grade. You have an expensive stone here, as I'[m sure you know. I don't know if Tiffany does resale appraisals but I think not but what they CAN do is update the document that it's a genuine Tiffany piece and they MAY be willing to pull and reset the stone (which is going to be required as part of the GIA exam). If they won't do it, find an independent appraiser who will, and get the GIA done before the Tiffany authentication. It's important, and the difference depending on the results is in the tens of thousands of dollars.

bluemoon2

Shiny_Rock

Do not know how to sell it. But I recently saw a few of big RB rocks -- one of them is 3.86cw D IF asking ~$450k.
Let me remember what price for others ... 3.07 E VVS1 ~$180k ( this one has HCA 1.3). 3.40cw F VVS2 ~$150k, 3.20cw D VVS1 ~$220k.
It may not be a good reference number sicne diff shape/color/carat. But just to share what the big rock is priced in the market right now.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Try consignment- JBeG is a good vendor to contact.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Haven|1315514620|3012955 said:
Pics or it doesn't exist. :cheeky:

Seriously, we need pictures. ASAP.

Haha!! Agreed.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Kenny; Pricescope edited my post that went "over the line". Sorry about offending you and others that found a sentence of what I said over the limit. Self-promotion is here everywhere you look, but it is subtle and I just went in a bit too deep. Getting so wildly annoyed is not a good thing. Its a relatively minor event in a business life. I think you might gather that I help far more people than the ones I do direct business with and that might give me a tiny bit of latitude that many others never will earn. The overall message was valid and helpful for the person wishing to sell a ring. Just like when I recommend a professional appraiser's services, I recommend any well qualified professional, never just "me". My main point was not to just trust blindly, but to either use a referrence from a trusted friend or some other way, such as broad participation on Pricescope, to determine a potential buyer is a legitimate business person, not a scoundrel. Again, mea culpa!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

David I apologize for incorrectly assuming you edited your own post.
I assumed that because usually when admin edits they'll write that they did the edit, and add a little warning to follow rules.

Makpb

Rough_Rock

I greatly appreciate all the replies to my post. I plan on doing a bit more research before placing it with any seller. I was very interested in the different stones listed and their selling price. Any more info is welcome and thanks to everyone who's posted :)

I want to add that a reputable local resale jewelry store gave me the very general quote of $30,000 over the phone with the same info I wrote above. Compared to the posts above, that would be awful low. He did seem quite interested in the ring and said without seeing it, it was only a guesstamite.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Can we see a pic once more? Pretty please? :halo:

Oh, and good luck!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Makpb|1315600517|3013871 said:
I greatly appreciate all the replies to my post. I plan on doing a bit more research before placing it with any seller. I was very interested in the different stones listed and their selling price. Any more info is welcome and thanks to everyone who's posted :)

I want to add that a reputable local resale jewelry store gave me the very general quote of $30,000 over the phone with the same info I wrote above. Compared to the posts above, that would be awful low. He did seem quite interested in the ring and said without seeing it, it was only a guesstamite.

Whoa, that's low!

Hopefully you'll find a good appraiser and dealer to help you sell it. I think, someone correct if I'm wrong, that you will get more if you consign it rather than an outright sale to a dealer.

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock

I know, I'm so sad that I missed the pic. But I do realize it can be weird to know your image will be here forever.

Makpb

Rough_Rock

I know it is a beautiful ring. I think I was surprised by the possibilities it offers and aware that I need to think carefully. Here is the pic again.

2011-09-08 17.22.02.jpg

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for posting the picture again :) We love our bling, especially one so unique and rare!

To be honest with you I don't think JBEG is the place to consign something of such high value. Not saying they haven't sold high $$ pieces, because they have. I just don't think they get the type of clientele traffic like you will need in order to sell something like that. I'd contact Jonathan at www.goodoldgold.com and see what they can do for you. He consigns many pieces and they have a lot of traffic (both internet and in store) and can make high def. videos and advertise that baby like it's going to need. That would be your best option if you didn't want to go the auction route. Jonathan is a class act and will get you top dollar for the piece and possibly even buy it out right if you didn't want to wait for the $$$ until it sells (you'd get more waiting I'm sure).

You know what, I just thought of some where else that you'd probably have good luck getting a good price selling out right as well. Langs antiques. Here is the site. They have a LOT of high end $$$ jewelry on there and probably have good traffic as well.

http://www.langantiques.com/pages/selling-your-jewelry

And just to give you an idea of the type of stuff they list here is their diamond ring section from high price to low
http://www.langantiques.com/products/category/diamond-rings

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Stunning ring!!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Someone in the industry offering you an insulting $30K is a wake up call.

Please be careful.
You are swimming with sharks and they can smell 3 ct G IF Tiffany blood a mile away.
Even professionals here cannot restrain their animal instincts to move in for the kill.

If you don't need the money quickly I'd put this sale on hold for a while you do a lot of research.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would not consign the piece the usual way because part of its value is the brand. It should be sold intact.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A LOT of the value is the brand.

You can consign it and play up the Tiffany angle.
I would.
You paid a large Tiffany premium when it was bought.
Now you can get it back.
Why not?

DD, what do you mean by, " consign the piece the usual way, and why would that conceal the Tiffany brand?

Has the site called Facets or Signed Pieces vanished?
They sold "formerly-loved" :D pieces from high end designers like Tiff, Cartier, Bvlgari, VCA etc.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Branding and grading are what is going to sell this piece. Neither of those is obvious, and that’s the reason you need better paperwork. Customers like genuine Tiffany goods distinctly more than knockoffs, even if they look similar. They like IF stones way more than they like stones that used to be IF and they like GIA graded stones better than they like stones graded IF by someone else, including Tiffany lab. ALL of these things are marketing issues and all of them will vary depending on how you plan to approach the sale. Selling expensive things, including expensive branded things is not an easy chore. Some people are way more skilled at it than others. As a rule, if you don’t know if you’ve got the talent, you don’t. Professional assistance is called for. Expect to pay a lab, expect to pay Tiffany, expect to pay an appraiser, and expect to pay a sales commission. It’s STILL an expensive item but there are thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars of difference between doing this well and doing it poorly. Don’t pinch your pennies and throw away the dollars.

Any consignment dealer worth their salt understands about the Tiffany preimum. How much of a premium that entails will depend on the details of the product and it's often less than people expect for things like this but if they don't understand the issue and aren't prepared to discuss it with you, move on to a different dealer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results