shape
carat
color
clarity

What is the average $ amount of Jewelry Owned

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
I know we have folks from different countries, so I just thought I'd do an unofficial sort of questions.
My collection is topping $xx,000. Yikes maybe it's a little much??
How much does the average woman own in jewelry do you think?

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Since the average American spends $7,750 on an engagement ring, I would estimate the average woman owns over $10K in jewelry? The average PS member probably owns $50K in jewelry, with ranges from $10K to over $100K?

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe we should do a poll? I think that maybe PS'ers have more jewellery than the average person lol

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock

The average is very different than the median. 50% of engagement rings purchased cost less than $1830.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know i own more than an average lady in UK in jewellery.

DK :))

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock
Apart from e-ring it would probably be in the vicinity of $2-3k. I only have 3 or 4 "real" pieces and a lot of costume jewellery. I bought a pair of emerald studs recently and the gem bug bit me hard. My bank balance had better be careful!

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can just say that I was shocked how much "small stuff" I had that added up to a huge amount. When we got burglarized they took predominantly heavy yellow gold , no pearls and left some antique diamonds and coloured stone stuff.

I have looked at the police report and the yellow gold that I didn't wear (inherited) that they took added up to a LOT going by weight only for the gold.

I prefer not to calculate the value of my "good stuff " that was at the bank at the time..

:oops:

RNJonja

Rough_Rock
My small diamond collection is near $5k. That feels like a lot :oops2: I'm from Finland.

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Someone did a poll about this topic awhile ago.

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Where can I find it

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is well over Xx,000

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

joelly

Ideal_Rock

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Are you referring to retail- like amount paid? Or current value? I mean if some piece was bought years back did it depreciate or appreciate in value?
Not sure how this would be calculated.
@kipari I'm sorry ; I had pieces stolen too it's awful.

oodlesofpoodles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Just got my renewal for my specialized jewelry insurance policy today - I’m insured for more than my first house cost! Granted it wasn’t the best neighborhood....

Bonsai

Shiny_Rock
Either I suppose or any
Some antique pieces maybe worth more

Initially I meant amount paid but if u consider all things my most expensive ring was 1/2 the appraised value I got it used so.... it’s not the most expensive I paid out of pocket

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
I mean, it also depends if you're talking purchase cost versus replacement value. I bought a gemstone ring for $400 in platinum from an ebay seller with a 3ct center. If I had to run out and replace it today, it would easily be $1500 to have a similar ring made. Would I count that as "$1,500" value in my collection?

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is the poll you're looking for:

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
I suppose it also depends if people consider watches as functional jewelry or purely a tool? They can add up very quickly

pk888

Shiny_Rock
Interesting thread

especially when we cindyser gold and precious Jewelry that appreciate in value over time

I have started collecting as early as 8/9 years old and in my early 30s now

the gold I had bought back then have definitely tripled in value… and as a buyer/collector I have been conscious that I buy when I’m able to substantiate my purchase based on raw material value to make sure I am getting a great deal

the most current value of my collection is at $1xx,xxx

I spent less than the current value being a more frugal buyer

do you guys inventory and make a list of your collections and see how much you spent, and what the actual/ current value is based on gold value and fair market/ wholesale value of the stones are?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results