shape
carat
color
clarity

What is one food from your childhood that you can’t get today?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i cannot for the life of me find frostie's cornflakes
the kallogg's one with the tiger on the box
it just seems to have completly despaired here

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
McDonald's Big Breakfast with scrambled egg, a slice of sausage, butter muffins and hash brown.

I had it when I was a child in HK and UK, and it cost 99p in 1979. The egg was soft and nice in those days, before H&S decided to cook them till death to minimise the risk of food poisoning.

Sadly they have taken it off the menu ages ago, replaced by their breakfast muffins and hash brown on the side so that peeps can eat them on the go.

DK :confused2:

Crap! I did not know McDonalds discontinued the big breakfast! It was one of the best items on the entire men. The eggs were real, the sausage patty well seasoned and who does not like a crispy hash brown. Plus the biscuit was not bad either. You could also upgrade and add a pancake but that was overkill. Technically they could make it still off menu as all ingredients are used in the egg McMuffins and hash browns are always an available side. I guess just ask fo a sausage egg McMuffin deconstructed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Crap! I did not know McDonalds discontinued the big breakfast! It was one of the best items on the entire men. The eggs were real, the sausage patty well seasoned and who does not like a crispy hash brown. Plus the biscuit was not bad either. You could also upgrade and add a pancake but that was overkill. Technically they could make it still off menu as all ingredients are used in the egg McMuffins and hash browns are always an available side. I guess just ask fo a sausage egg McMuffin deconstructed.

they discontinued it here too - although we never had the Anerican biscuit
it came with an english muffin and jam and cream, egg and sussages
Gary loved that with a side of hot cakes

i miss the blueberry yougart with crunchy museli on the top - except at Porirua they always had no museli
that was before the McCafe
i used to get that and a bacon and egg McMuffin

speaking of McCafe - where did the macaroons go ?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went back 3 years ago after a 20 yr absence and was gobsmacked by the transformation of the city. Large parts of the North Side have been gentrified and others not so much. I spent my childhood years in Manchester and it's still known as a rough neighborhood albeit surrounded by redeveloped residential and business areas.

Very much so. The city has changed, everywhere. If you go to East Liberty, you won’t recognize it, anymore. It’s insane...in a good way, I suppose. “Progress”.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to spend holidays and summers in Hong Kong when I was a child. I will never have egg puffs as good as the street vendors there used to make them:
1590807432682.jpeg

It also feels impossible to find a proper red bean ice these days:
1590807503777.jpeg

Both of these things still exist, but they just don’t taste as good as when I was a kid.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the big metal can ...

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.39.40 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Egg_cream.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sioux_City_Sarsaparilla_eb3327fb-366e-4c6e-a271-4343c9b5b5c4_460x.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lambskin @Daisys and Diamonds no American biscuit (scones to me) in UK and HK - toasted buttered (white) muffins instead.

A breakfast McMuffin plus a hasbrown on the side (that's how it is served in UK) is just not the same IMHO.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wendy's Burgers - they pulled out of UK some time ago, however, they are planning to return, allegedly 2020 - not sure if this still applies due to the current lockdown and economic downturn.

I loved Wendy's Burgers as I could customise it to my taste (I had everything on offer), and the square-shaped patties.

DK :))

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that would be them
im not sure why the same product doesn't have the same name in all English speaking markets
prod_img-417184_kelloggs-frosties.png

I consumed more than my fair share of this “diabetes in a bowl”, as a child. I’m so lucky to have escaped some real health problems....lol!!!
“They’re Ggrrrrreeeaaattt!!”

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My daughter loves the maple flavored frosted mini-wheats and they are no longer available in the United States. I could import a box from Canada, where they are still available, for about four times the usual cost of a box but I am not about to do so! We have about four other flavors available here.

I hope that when you get friends from the States visiting, you have them bring you Frosted Flakes. I am not sure Tony the Tiger is on the box anymore, though. :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the big metal can ...

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 9.39.40 PM.png

I grew up with Jays as they were made locally. Way better than Lays. The tin cans housed the chips in a plastic bag. After the tins were discontinued, a box housed two waxy bags filled with chips. The box kept the chips from breaking as did the two bags. My sister and I would claim dibs on our own bags. Now the chips come in bags. Jays was bought out by a big snack company and frankly they do not taste the same. I have had chips taste rancid from bad oil despite freshness dates to contrary. They are still available in the Chicagoland area. But Kenny you will be pleased to know that my mom saved three Jays tins and stored her spare bags of flour and sugars in them. Kept them dry and bug free.I grabbed the tins after she died and use them as well. They are nice and narrow and tall so they fit in my wall cabinet perfectly.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks lambskin.

I have very fond 1960s memories of those Jay's metal cans, and their contents.
We 4 kids would wolf them down in minutes, so mom tried to hide them.
Of course we found them ... in all 74,394 places she tried. :Up_to_something:
Nom Nom Nom! :kiss2:

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the states Aldi has better frosted flakes then the kelloggs ones in my opinion.
If there is an Aldi near you they might just carry them there also.

Q

Queenie60

The square shaped cinnamon lollipops.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Callard & Bowser's Butterscotch, and also their Licorice Toffee.

Licorice Toffee! My father used to give my brother and I one of these halfway though the church service to keep us quiet! Silver and black striped wrappers, as I recall.

Also Sen-Sens, which were sort of a licorice mint. The were little tiny things that came in a small tin. I think they were intended to cover smokers breath.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I consumed more than my fair share of this “diabetes in a bowl”, as a child. I’m so lucky to have escaped some real health problems....lol!!!
“They’re Ggrrrrreeeaaattt!!”

i must say i had some coco pops the other day and they really do still taste like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results