shape
carat
color
clarity

What is one food from your childhood that you can’t get today?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
64A80F7E-21F1-4131-BD01-BB85982A1FA1.jpeg

What is one food from your childhood that you cannot get today?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I can’t find these but they might still be around. I haven’t searched all over for them. I used to eat these by the box lol. The honey and the cherry and I think (?) black licorice also was a flavor. Anyway these bring me back to childhood.

A6FC1B53-A94C-4C25-AF66-409D55F12A6A.jpeg

Does any edible item from your childhood (that you can no longer find) do that for you?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
F607C4BF-8566-44E6-BF49-7B3618217A66.jpeg

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Pimentos. My mother used to put them into a chicken paprika dish that I still cook today. I substitute red capsicum but I just remember that soft texture, sweet taste. You probably can get them still but I've never seen them in years even in our best fruit and veg market here.

Do you remember "sunnyboys" - those pyramid shaped containers with frozen orange juice. I remember we used to hang out at the swimming pool and suck on those for hours.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I used to like a sauce called Chicken Tonight that was an easy short cut dinner when I was a kid. It’s not sold in the USA anymore. Silly commercials for it too. I would likely not want it now!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Five cent candy bars.
Machines at the doors of food and drug stores selling gum-balls for a penny.

Candy cigarettes. When you blew into them smoke (actually powdered sugar) would come out the other end.
... and No, I did not grow up to become a smoker. :roll:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Five cent candy bars.
Machines selling gumballs for a penny.

Candy cigarettes. When you blew into them smoke would come out the other end.
Actually, it was just powdered sugar.

Omg I loved candy cigarettes!!! And we indulged often. :lol:

and No, I did not grow up to become a smoker. :roll:

ETA: And I did not grow up to be a smoker either :halo:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to like a sauce called Chicken Tonight that was an easy short cut dinner when I was a kid. It’s not sold in the USA anymore. Silly commercials for it too. I would likely not want it now!

Haha I don’t know it but catchy tune. ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
real root beer!

Oh yes and remember Sarsaparilla? Not sure of the spelling. Root bear and cream soda. Heaven. Yummm.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pimentos. My mother used to put them into a chicken paprika dish that I still cook today. I substitute red capsicum but I just remember that soft texture, sweet taste. You probably can get them still but I've never seen them in years even in our best fruit and veg market here.

Do you remember "sunnyboys" - those pyramid shaped containers with frozen orange juice. I remember we used to hang out at the swimming pool and suck on those for hours.

Lol I don’t but sounds good. :lickout:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I loved candy cigarettes!!! And we indulged often. :lol:

I never liked the hard white ones with the pink tips as much as the chocolate ones. Once I discovered chocolate cigarettes, I never wanted one of those hard candy ones again!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh yes and remember Sarsaparilla? Not sure of the spelling. Root bear and cream soda. Heaven. Yummm.
yep my Grandma made real root beer with sassafras.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mostly all the yummy candy we’d buy at the canteen at summer camp. Nesquick made this amazing chocolate milk taffy, it was so sweet like a portable glass of chocolate milk.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fizzies! altho Missy I loved those cough drops too, I am unable to find Smith's Cherry cough drops but can find Luden's so it's a good substitute - great question! xo

fizziesbest.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Deb, now I liked the chocolate ones better too, remember you unrolled them like people used to roll cigarettes with just tobacco not in a pack. Altho it was easier to get the white candy red tipped candy cigarettes.. I was def EOP when it came to candy really :)

I never liked the hard white ones with the pink tips as much as the chocolate ones. Once I discovered chocolate cigarettes, I never wanted one of those hard candy ones again!

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
My dad would take my sister and I on Saturday mornings to get a candy bar. I can still get the ones today that I liked...snickers, milky way, twix. He would also get us Big League Chew...gum that looked that chewing tobacco lol. We thought we were living on the edge. My mom didn't like it because we didn't look lady like with a big wad of gum in our mouth. I loved Ludens and would often say i had a sore throat just to get some ludens, even if I really was fine lol. I'm not suffering, I think I can get all that candy today! And i loved candy ciggies too, made us feel like a rebel but they didn't taste very good but being cool was worth it lol!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These! I know I could probably make my own but it wouldn't be the same.

Also growing up there were pints of ice cream with a cartoon drawing of a girl in pig tails. My parents called it "girly ice cream" so no idea of the actual name but it was so good.

Apparently I have an ice cream problem lol!

IMG_8474.jpg

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@missy......do you remember ebingers? ChicolTe pound cake with granache icing and the black out cakes?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many to recount. yes all the 5, 10 cents candy. And Chunky, and mini chicklets.
I also liked ovaltine and malt o meal. A special occasional treat was fudge space food sticks. I'm sure they tasted horrible now but for some reason us kids literally fought over them.

I used to make sassafras tea (tastes just like root beer) but it disappeared and someone told me it that's because it caused cancer. Not sure if that's really the reason. I also liked the carnation breakfast bars with chocolate chips. They had a particular flavor I was addicted to. 1590167556512.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
These! I know I could probably make my own but it wouldn't be the same.

Also growing up there were pints of ice cream with a cartoon drawing of a girl in pig tails. My parents called it "girly ice cream" so no idea of the actual name but it was so good.

Apparently I have an ice cream problem lol!

IMG_8474.jpg

I loved those too. We can't get Perry's ice cream here. I grew up in Pennsylvania. I remember it being good.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Fizzies! altho Missy I loved those cough drops too, I am unable to find Smith's Cherry cough drops but can find Luden's so it's a good substitute - great question! xo

fizziesbest.jpg

Smith Brothers cough drops were the best. I'm not sure they worked well, but they tasted great! Also, we used to have aspergum (not a food) but). Tasted good, and really helped with a sore throat. More enjoyable than just swallowing an aspirin.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally miss Tiger's Milk powder! Growing up it was a staple in our house; in the early 1970s my dad was into vitamins, carob chips, nutritional powder, etc. Us kids were totally on board with Tiger's Milk, less so with carob chips lol.

At some point in the 1980s the recipe was changed and it no longer tasted the same ... I don't think it is even produced/sold any more.

1590168726170.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everything my grandmother made from scratch.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Kraft mac n cheese. We weren't allowed processed food in our house so I associate Kraft with sleepovers and playdates. I live abroad and it is only sold in specialty shops. Whenever friends fly back, I ask them to buy me some.

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Kraft mac n cheese. We weren't allowed processed food in our house so I associate Kraft with sleepovers and playdates. I live abroad and it is only sold in specialty shops. Whenever friends fly back, I ask them to buy me some.

Cracker Barrel is better, especially the new one that you bake. But I understand the nostalgia for childhood favorites. I'm really having trouble with foods that I used to have but can't find now. Maybe actual hot dogs? I know they were horrible and you never wanted to read the label, but they tasted so much better.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Hershey chocolate. The stuff they make now sucks. The texture and the taste is off.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Swiss rolls. The ones made today are yucky.

cheers--Sharon

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
Birds Ice Magic- it had to be the orange flavour. I had it as a treat on vanilla ice- cream when I was little. :lickout:

download.jpeg.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results